Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Just a shot in the dark here but...You grab the wheel and can move it UP and DOWN? Is that what you mean by 12 and 6?
Sponsored

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT sport 4x4
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Just a shot in the dark here but...You grab the wheel and can move it UP and DOWN? Is that what you mean by 12 and 6?
Have you ever put your hand on the top of the steering wheel that would be 12. Have you ever put your hand on the bottom center of steering wheel that is 6. I guess no one can picture this in their minds. And no one knows what a clock looks like thanks to cell phones and technology.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Maybe something to do with the locking lever? Is it fully locked in the uppermost position? ?‍♂

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I assume this movement is noticed while parked? Also, if it moves with hands at 6 and 12, why not 3 and 9?

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
so, what did the dealer determine?
Dealer determined Zero. shrugged shoulders no conclusion. time for me as a loyal ford customer to bid Farwell to the brand

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
will you tell us what damn direction this movement is???

is it rotational about the axis
is it towards you or away as if telescoping?
is it a rocking motion? in any direction like a wobble ?
is it just pivoting along the center axis on the 12/6 plane as in tilt?

is there a click or clunk associated?

be specific....you're really giving us nothing except it "moves", and a steering wheel is supposed to move. whats makes your movement different?
[/QUOTE
it rocks in multiple positions.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Dealer determined Zero. shrugged shoulders no conclusion. time for me as a loyal ford customer to bid Farwell to the brand
Wow! Really? You give up so easy. What will you do when your Chevy or Toyota or whatever brand you go to has a problem? Will you make a vague comment about your problem hoping the mind readers out there will figure it out and come up with solution?

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Really? You give up so easy. What will you do when your Chevy or Toyota or whatever brand you go to has a problem? Will you make a vague comment about your problem hoping the mind readers out there will figure it out and come up with solution?
[/QUOTE
Now how would like me to comment on that. i explained it the best way i can....
Explanation: sitting in truck writing an inspection report. Lifted knee felt steering wheel moving. Put hands in 12&6 to move steering wheel. Felt play in wheel. Driving at 9&3 feel movement as well. Looking like ford certified technicians my not understand what is happening from the conversion with tech. I told them to go to ranger 5g every one here knows the problem

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
and how much? 1/4" 1/2"?
just a wiggle?
you see how a different description "rocks in multiple positions" makes your problem a whole lot different than 12/6 only?
be specific. not only for us keyboard warriors, but for the mechanic looking at your problem. He's not a mind reader.

if you're nuts coming loose that's an easy fix for a dealer that cares.
but if you want to slam the whole product line because some independent twat at a dealership doesn't care to go a little further, then expect backlash from people who know better.

I personally don't care if you stay in a Ford or not.
1/2 inch clunk.. No one i bashing product line. I don't care what you think anyway.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome Ford Techs, although I am sure you got better things to do than be directed to a forum for the solutions you surely are trained to diagnose yourselves.

If by chance you are reading this, thank you for stopping by.
I really do feel for you guys, sometimes customer complaints, while clear in their mind, are just a jumbled mess of thoughts incoherently linked together.

What size ball peen hammer is the best btw???
And for all you Ford Techs, when a problem is a known issue and is a lot of work to properly repair, please don't spend 2 minutes looking at it and then say "No Problem Found" to punt it down the field to the next tech, re SSM-49264.

Thanks for your help.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
In the OP's defense, I do remember the not so perfect Toyota brand having 2 recalls on steering loose.
One was inspect steering nut torque, and another being the tilt lock lever that would spring loose. Two different models.
I'd like to know, does the play happen when tilt and telescopic is adjusted and locked in all positions?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
And for all you Ford Techs, when a problem is a known issue and is a lot of work to properly repair, please don't spend 2 minutes looking at it and then say "No Problem Found" to punt it down the field to the next tech, re SSM-49264.

Thanks for your help.
you left out the part about the shoulder shrug and then saying no problem found, visual presentation can be equally important in problem denial. A more experienced tech would say "just learn to live with it " or "steer it until the wheel comes off"

OP
OP
airish1531

airish1531

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto damage inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Update from dealer. They compared my unit to a 20 ranger and 19. excessive play was only found in my unit. the result is they are replacing entire steering column as per ford due to safety issue. Btw my build date on vin is 12/21.. stay safe

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Great to hear!

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Update from dealer. They compared my unit to a 20 ranger and 19. excessive play was only found in my unit. the result is they are replacing entire steering column as per ford due to safety issue. Btw my build date on vin is 12/21.. stay safe
Glad they are taking some kind of action. Let us know the end result.

I don't know who you are but i have seen some of your sarcastic responses you are arrogant. people like you do that from behind keyboards usually.
You kinda of get used to RP. He grows on you, lol. Really though, he's a decent guy.
Sponsored