Stage 3's 2019 Ranger Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Package Review!

Shermy452

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2019 lariat fx4
The Fox 2.0s do a lot to smooth out the ride and calm the rear end down. However, if you’re not going to be off-roading often or very aggressively, you will get nearly the same result on the street from something like the Eibach Pros or Bilstein 5100s (if they land sometime this century) and save some cash for other things.
Jason! Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. Is the eibach going to be a downgrade from the fx4 stock in offroading if I decide that I might start doing a little more? Thanks again!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Jason! Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. Is the eibach going to be a downgrade from the fx4 stock in offroading if I decide that I might start doing a little more? Thanks again!!
The Eibachs/Bilsteins will be an upgrade off-road over the FX4 stuff.

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my Fox 2.0 kit from Stage3 last weekend and it was fairly easy with the video made by Stage3. Some things to be mindful of are, the CV axles will separate and need to be pushed back in on the spline, was really quick on one side, took me forever to get the other side lined back up and pushed in. If you dont have help like me, i used a jack under the A-Arms to get the brake assembly lined up with the upper control arms, just gotta take your time and make sure nothing is binding. The biggest surprise catch was the little support guide arms (not sure the proper name) popped out of the ball joint on both sides when you make room for the coil by pushing the A-Arms down, so took large channel locks and popped them back in, which was easy and quick, but this could easily be overlooked if your not paying attention. All in all it took me about an hour each side, taking my time, cursing when needed and washing down chips and salsa with purple mountains :like:

I did the same thing, but I had planned to upgrade the *sway bar links* any way, A plastic socket on an "off road," truck?! (once you pop them out they are much more likely to pop out again) Plus these are serviceable https://partsonline.mevotech.com/details/TXK80252, I bought them on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mevotech-T...738692&hash=item594709ca76:g:6wEAAOSwfM9dT75s. A breeze to install.

Advice to anyone else doing the Fox2.0 upgrade.....there is a small hole in the lower control arm. If you drop a nut (b/c you are not being careful with the old hardware when taking off the FX4 suspension) it is near impossible to get out and jingle/jangles inside whenever you hit a bump.... Otherwise great investment.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Sway Bar Links ! thats the part name i was looking for. Yeah it didnt take much to pop them out, be interesting to see the long term reliability of that part.

JPSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
The Stage 5 ICON System would be more equivalent, since the Fox 2.5s in our Stage 4 Package come with DSCs. Regardless, even ICONs with CDCV adjustment will be stiffer than the Fox's on the street (especially if you soften them up with DSC adjustments), and the Fox 2.5s will already be stiffer than stock. That's just the game you play when it comes to 2.5 coilovers.

Personally, I prefer ICONs, but I'm also one of those nutjobs who's willing to sacrifice on-road ride to rip around off-road at 75mph.

If you're trying to maintain as much on-road ride quality as possible, then Fox is your answer (or Elka, if they ever release a Ranger Kit. Their F150 2.5s road nice). If you are going to be throwing your truck around off-road fairly often, then you should probably go with ICON's Delta Joint UCAs instead of the BDS, though. The Delta Joint will last you longer.

As for shackles, I'm pretty indifferent. If it were my truck, I'd probably go the add-a-leaf route since you get more of a tangible benefit for the same price and effort or just a rear block for a much easier install. A set of shackles shouldn't overly effect your ride quality though.
Jason.... Fox vs Icon is one of them easier to change ride height? I'd like to run no lift on stock tires during the week and 2 inches in the front with bigger tires when I overland.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Jason.... Fox vs Icon is one of them easier to change ride height? I'd like to run no lift on stock tires during the week and 2 inches in the front with bigger tires when I overland.
I don't know about the Icon, but on the Fox 2.0, in order to change ride height, you have to remove the coilovers from the Ranger, compress the springs with a good quality spring compressor, then you can adjust the ride height. So it isn't something that you're going to want to do for a weekend. Plus every time you change the ride height, you will want to get an alignment done.

JPSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I don't know about the Icon, but on the Fox 2.0, in order to change ride height, you have to remove the coilovers from the Ranger, compress the springs with a good quality spring compressor, then you can adjust the ride height. So it isn't something that you're going to want to do for a weekend. Plus every time you change the ride height, you will want to get an alignment done.
The Icon's look better and better then. I believe you can change the ride height on those without pulling them off.

As far as alignment goes, I was thinking just to leave it at zero lift, measure the change everytime I changed the height and hope for the best. Though I could string it too.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
You are 100% correct about the Fox 2.0s.

The ICONs just require a spanner wrench, though compressing the spring does make life easier. However, it's still a pain to adjust them on-truck, since you have the rest of the suspension components getting in the way. You'd be lucky to get a 1/4 turn with the spanner wrench at a time.

Frankly, changing the ride height is going to be a pain no matter what coilover kit you go with. Swapping wheels/tires should be enough to save you fuel economy on the road, regardless of ride height.

Your much better bet would be to pick the coilovers that best fit how you're going to be driving the truck and get you the ride quality you're looking for. The ICON 2.5s may be easier to adjust, but they're pretty stiff on-road and are not everyone's cup of tea.

JPSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Your much better bet would be to pick the coilovers that best fit how you're going to be driving the truck and get you the ride quality you're looking for. The ICON 2.5s may be easier to adjust, but they're pretty stiff on-road and are not everyone's cup of tea.
How are the Kings on that continuum? Are they softer or firmer?

I wasn't going to do it for gas mileage. I have a four legged seven year old that goes everywhere with me and she is already having a hard time getting in the truck. But I just got it last week. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_0117.jpeg

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
How are the Kings on that continuum? Are they softer or firmer?
On the stiffness spectrum, they're less stiff than ICON. They'll still be stiffer than stock and stiffer than the Fox 2.0s. Stiffness is just part of the 2.5 coilover game.

On the ride height adjustability spectrum, they're as tough to adjust as the Fox 2.0s/Fox 2.5s.

I wasn't going to do it for gas mileage. I have a four legged seven year old that goes everywhere with me and she is already having a hard time getting in the truck. But I just got it last week. We'll see how it goes.
Speaking from experience, a level on its own does not really make getting in and out of the a truck much more difficult. Really, you're only increasing the height of the front door by a smidge, the rear door even less. Bigger tires are what really kills you in the cab access department, since that's what's providing an all-around ground clearance increase.

I ran a coilover kit at 2.75" of leveling on my truck with stock wheels and tires for a bit, and that extra ride height only had a marginal impact on getting in and out of the cab. Once I threw the 305/65R18s on, it was a very different story, since the cab was now a good 4.75" higher than where it was stock.

JPSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
On the stiffness spectrum, they're less stiff than ICON. They'll still be stiffer than stock and stiffer than the Fox 2.0s. Stiffness is just part of the 2.5 coilover game.
Am I kind of hearing you say you think most people would be happiest with a 2.0 inch over a 2.5? Unless you're planning to do some really high speed desert running?

Which 2.0 kit gives you the most suspension travel? Are Icons the only 2.0 shocks you can get with an adjustable valve?

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Am I kind of hearing you say you think most people would be happiest with a 2.0 inch over a 2.5? Unless you're planning to do some really high speed desert running?
I am absolutely saying that. 80% of people aren't going to be ripping around at 65mph through raw desert, and the 20% that will be are likely willing to put up with some extra on-pavement stiffness to get that kind of off-road performance.

You just have to be honest with yourself and figure out where you want to be

Which 2.0 kit gives you the most suspension travel? Are Icons the only 2.0 shocks you can get with an adjustable valve?
ICON does not make a 2.0 coilover. They only have 2.5 coilovers and 2.0 rear shocks. King, ICON, and Fox all have 2.5s with adjustable compression, though.

The only 2.0 coilovers out there for the Rangers that I'm aware of are Fox and Radflo. Radflo has an extended travel option, but I don't know what exact specs are.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 F150 SCrew FX4
However, if you’re not going to be off-roading often or very aggressively, you will get nearly the same result on the street from something like the Eibach Pros or Bilstein 5100s (if they land sometime this century) and save some cash for other things.
This right here answered almost every question I had about the fox 2.0's.. About to pickup a Lariat FX4 & will have about 90% on road driving. Old logging roads is is the rest of it so it sounds like the Eibach is a better solution cost wise. But what about installation wise since the Fox are a complete front coil-over where a shade-tree home mechanic that doesn't have a spring compressor has to disassemble the stock & then reassemble the Eibach? Doesn't that add a considerable amount of work to the installation (sorry if this is a stupid question, I have never messed with the springs before).

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
But what about installation wise since the Fox are a complete front coil-over where a shade-tree home mechanic that doesn't have a spring compressor has to disassemble the stock & then reassemble the Eibach? Doesn't that add a considerable amount of work to the installation (sorry if this is a stupid question, I have never messed with the springs before).
It does add some time and some labor. If you don’t have access to a good wall or floor-mount compressor, your best bet would be to take the stock coilovers out on your own and have a shop do the spring/upper mount swap. They’ll probably only charge you an hour of labor, and you’ll still save money over doing Fox all around.

Granted, that’s dependent on either having a second vehicle or your ability to bum a ride.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question about whether or not these coilovers can be used to lower the ride height of the front of the truck below the stock ride height. Curious to see if this is possible
Sponsored