Stage 3's 2019 Ranger Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Package Review!

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
We installed a 2019-2020 Ranger Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Suspension Package a while back on our 2019 Ranger Overland Build, and now that we've put it through its paces both on and off-road, we have now released a Fox 2.0 review video which is now up on our YouTube Channel.

The Fox 2.0s are a very balanced suspension kit and they ride pretty great on-road, and can handle moderate to fairly tough off-roading as long as you're not really pushing you speed. Sure, they're not a 2.5 coilover, but if you're putting together a more road trip-friendly Overland or street/trail truck, you probably don't want to make the jump to a 2.5 anyway.

Their only downsides are they aren't 2.5s (though they aren't meant to be) and that they're pricier than some other options (but can handle off-roading a lot better).

Direct link to video.
Sponsored

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
We installed a 2019-2020 Ranger Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Suspension Package a while back on our 2019 Ranger Overland Build, and now that we've put it through its paces both on and off-road, we have now released a Fox 2.0 review video which is now up on our YouTube Channel.

The Fox 2.0s are a very balanced suspension kit and they ride pretty great on-road, and can handle moderate to fairly tough off-roading as long as you're not really pushing you speed. Sure, they're not a 2.5 coilover, but if you're putting together a more road trip-friendly Overland or street/trail truck, you probably don't want to make the jump to a 2.5 anyway.

Their only downsides are they aren't 2.5s (though they aren't meant to be) and that they're pricier than some other options (but can handle off-roading a lot better).

Direct link to video.
cool video. Thanks for the post.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger XLT S-crew FX4

Direct link to video.
Nice review of the fox 2.0 setup. How would you compare the icon stage 1 setup against the fox 2.0 for on road and off road?

Travis11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Tacoma
I ordered from stage 3 and currently have had them on my truck for about a month. He nails the review. I believe they will be all I personally will ever need off road and they greatly improved the road handling as well.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Great review. I am curious what your suggestion for solving the soft rear end due to the extra weight? It seems that for a travel build, your setup is not that over the top weightwise and is pretty reasonable.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Great review. I am curious what your suggestion for solving the soft rear end due to the extra weight? It seems that for a travel build, your setup is not that over the top weightwise and is pretty reasonable.
The only real solution we have right now is a an add-a-leaf kit. Auto Spring currently has one out, though we'll likely see a few others here in the future. Granted, not everyone wants to add that 1.5" to 2" of ride height to the rear or deal with the extra stiffness (though aftermarket rear shocks tend to help).

Deaver told me a couple of weeks ago that they're working on complete leaf packs for the Rangers, and that could be pretty huge. However, I don't have anything resembling an ETA yet.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only real solution we have right now is a an add-a-leaf kit. Auto Spring currently has one out, though we'll likely see a few others here in the future. Granted, not everyone wants to add that 1.5" to 2" of ride height to the rear or deal with the extra stiffness (though aftermarket rear shocks tend to help).

Deaver told me a couple of weeks ago that they're working on complete leaf packs for the Rangers, and that could be pretty huge. However, I don't have anything resembling an ETA yet.

Jason what would your opinion be on a stage 4 icon set with new ucas/fox 2.5 stage 4 and then the deaver rear shackles. How would it drive in your opinion. I would like to get leveler out but have a really nice ride in the street. If needed could crush the off road on the weekends. It’s tough to make a decision without driving the different combos. Thanks!!!

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I had emailed them recently too and they said they got a terrible platform to go off of lol. Hopefully they figure something out this year.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Jason what would your opinion be on a stage 4 icon set with new ucas/fox 2.5 stage 4 and then the deaver rear shackles. How would it drive in your opinion. I would like to get leveler out but have a really nice ride in the street. If needed could crush the off road on the weekends. It’s tough to make a decision without driving the different combos. Thanks!!!
The Stage 5 ICON System would be more equivalent, since the Fox 2.5s in our Stage 4 Package come with DSCs. Regardless, even ICONs with CDCV adjustment will be stiffer than the Fox's on the street (especially if you soften them up with DSC adjustments), and the Fox 2.5s will already be stiffer than stock. That's just the game you play when it comes to 2.5 coilovers.

Personally, I prefer ICONs, but I'm also one of those nutjobs who's willing to sacrifice on-road ride to rip around off-road at 75mph.

If you're trying to maintain as much on-road ride quality as possible, then Fox is your answer (or Elka, if they ever release a Ranger Kit. Their F150 2.5s road nice). If you are going to be throwing your truck around off-road fairly often, then you should probably go with ICON's Delta Joint UCAs instead of the BDS, though. The Delta Joint will last you longer.

As for shackles, I'm pretty indifferent. If it were my truck, I'd probably go the add-a-leaf route since you get more of a tangible benefit for the same price and effort or just a rear block for a much easier install. A set of shackles shouldn't overly effect your ride quality though.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have zero experience with airbags but in looking to answer my own question I did come across them. Is there any place for them in an overland style rig or are they mostly for towing?

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
I have zero experience with airbags but in looking to answer my own question I did come across them. Is there any place for them in an overland style rig or are they mostly for towing?
They could help, but they do have some drawbacks when it comes to off-roading. Namely, they tend limit both up and down travel of the rear axle, which can be an issue when you need to keep both rear wheels planted to take advantage of your locker on a trail. Not to mention you can beat the hell out of them when really ripping around and pull out air lines or even rip the bellows.

They also ride pretty stiff on the road (the Firestone Ride-Rites less than the AirLifts, though) even if you keep pressure in the air springs themselves. If you are towing on the regular or have a ton of constant weight in the bed (I think our tent, RCI rack, and DECKED system are pushing 350-400lbs), then the rake reduction and improved stability may be worth the tradeoff.

However, those are the main reasons why they tend to be looked at as a "towing-specific" upgrade.

A good middle ground are Helper Springs. Their effect on up travel is fairly minimal, and down travel is hardly effected at all. They also won't really hurt on-road ride when unloaded, and the extra loaded support is still helpful, if not as effective as an air spring or add-a-leaf kit.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Stage 5 ICON System would be more equivalent, since the Fox 2.5s in our Stage 4 Package come with DSCs. Regardless, even ICONs with CDCV adjustment will be stiffer than the Fox's on the street (especially if you soften them up with DSC adjustments), and the Fox 2.5s will already be stiffer than stock. That's just the game you play when it comes to 2.5 coilovers.

Personally, I prefer ICONs, but I'm also one of those nutjobs who's willing to sacrifice on-road ride to rip around off-road at 75mph.

If you're trying to maintain as much on-road ride quality as possible, then Fox is your answer (or Elka, if they ever release a Ranger Kit. Their F150 2.5s road nice). If you are going to be throwing your truck around off-road fairly often, then you should probably go with ICON's Delta Joint UCAs instead of the BDS, though. The Delta Joint will last you longer.

As for shackles, I'm pretty indifferent. If it were my truck, I'd probably go the add-a-leaf route since you get more of a tangible benefit for the same price and effort or just a rear block for a much easier install. A set of shackles shouldn't overly effect your ride quality though.
THANK YOU for all that feedback...i appreciate it...good to know all the different setup and how they would ride....any input is welcome. Waiting for a few months to buy the setup. Thinking the fox 2.5's, icon delta joint uca, and an add a leaf in the rear.... Will be riding on the roads and occasionally ripping down trails to get to fishing put ins and ramps(part time fishing guide in the summer). With that I will be towing a small drift boat or trailer. You're the man..cheers

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
THANK YOU for all that feedback...i appreciate it...good to know all the different setup and how they would ride....any input is welcome. Waiting for a few months to buy the setup. Thinking the fox 2.5's, icon delta joint uca, and an add a leaf in the rear.... Will be riding on the roads and occasionally ripping down trails to get to fishing put ins and ramps(part time fishing guide in the summer). With that I will be towing a small drift boat or trailer. You're the man..cheers
No worries!

Shoot me a PM closer to when you're ready to order, and I'll see what we can do about pricing.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Thank you from me as well Jason@Stage3 you’ve earned a customer with what I think is good honest feedback. Your running a business but there doesn’t seem to be any huge sales pitch. I appreciate that.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Thank you from me as well Jason@Stage3 you’ve earned a customer with what I think is good honest feedback. Your running a business but there doesn’t seem to be any huge sales pitch. I appreciate that.
It's our pleasure. Shoot me a PM when you're ready to order, and I'll see what we can do.
Sponsored