First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The tow hooks are only about a foot in front of the coilovers, so a 2" rise won't make a measurable difference, the hooks will only rise 2" and a fraction, not even enough to measure. And something for you to remember is that the coilovers are incrementally adjustable across their entire range of '0' to 3". As for what doesn't make sense, think of it this way, if the truck end of the tow bar is lower than the RV end when the RV brakes the truck front end will 'dive', and if the tow bar is higher the truck front end will 'raise' up reducing weight on the front wheels, potentially causing tracking or steering issues. Not to mention the added stress on the tow bar and hitch with off angle forces. I have both a 6500lb hitch and tow bar, which gives me a 1500lb margin of error, but lateral force and inertia can eat that up rapidly.
Fair enough,

With all that said what is the height of the RV hitch and how much does the tow bar adapter lower for the Ranger? Also what is the height befor doing suspension and tire modifications?
Sponsored

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Fair enough,

With all that said what is the height of the RV hitch and how much does the tow bar adapter lower for the Ranger? Also what is the height befor doing suspension and tire modifications?
Not doing tire mod's, but the RV hitch is at 18.5" center line, and the Ranger tow hooks are 16.5", so a 2" rise over stock will do 2 things, level the truck while allowing the tow bar to be level with respects to both vehicles. I did NOT want to use spacers, hence the $800 outlay for a complete tuned set of coilovers. Actually all I wanted was the Motion Ratio for the Ranger to calculate the perch distance as it relates to suspension level change, so as not to have to make several adjustments to get it correct.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not doing tire mod's, but the RV hitch is at 18.5" center line, and the Ranger tow hooks are 16.5", so a 2" rise over stock will do 2 things, level the truck while allowing the tow bar to be level with respects to both vehicles. I did NOT want to use spacers, hence the $800 outlay for a complete tuned set of coilovers. Actually all I wanted was the Motion Ratio for the Ranger to calculate the perch distance as it relates to suspension level change, so as not to have to make several adjustments to get it correct.
Fair enough. After taking a quick look at Eibach and Bilstein I suspect you are looking at the collar adjustment for height correct? To be more precise the stage 1? If so it does not look like the Eibach will get you where you want.

As for Bilstein you would have a chance. If you look at the pictures I just took it seems with the simple collar adjustment Bilstein may be a better bet and similar on price.

Screenshot_20211226-213358.png

Screenshot_20211226-213551.png

Screenshot_20211226-213622.png

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now if you are looking at the stage 2 Eibach then its just taking the time to set the height with a.spanner wrench

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jesse, Reading your first posts I was confused as to what you were trying to acomplish. These last posts make it clearer. There are many heavy duty adjustable drop hitches to do what you are trying to do, unless you really want to raise the front of your truck for other reasons. They are much cheaper than tearing apart and messing with the front suspension of your truck just for that reason. I'm sure @P. A. Schilke would agree. I've never heard of anyone adjusting the towed vehicle to match the towing vehicle hitch hight.
Hi Lee,

I agree...unless you are wanting to adjust the vehicle height and live with it day and night, it is better and much less hassle to adjust the hitch. JMO!

Best,
Phil

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I actually have a 3" drop hitch adapter, but in this case I want to level the truck, and I don't want to go higher than the RV hitch, hence the 2" lift. My initial question was only the Motion Ratio of the front Ranger suspension, nothing more, and it never got answered and went off into never never land. And I clearly stated I had the Eibach Coilovers, which are stage 2.

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know what the Motion Ratio is on the Ranger front suspension? is it close to 2:1, trying to figure the lift with the Eibach coilovers, supposedly they come preset to level the front to back.
From the little I’ve dabbed with the front suspension I’d say 2-1 is correct.
Sponsored