Spacer Leveling Kit or Spacer/Preload Leveling Kit?

M_C_shady

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I want a leveling kit to reduce the stock rake on my truck and potentially help me fit some larger tires. I have narrowed it down to the ReadyLIFT 2" Leveling Kit, which uses a 1"spacer on the top and bottom of the strut assembly, and the BDS 2" Leveling Kit, which uses a spacer on the top of the strut assembly and a spring preload ring inside of the strut assembly.

Assumptions: Suspension droop is limited by the fully extended length of the strut. Since both kits affect only the length of the installed strut, all other suspension geometry will be the same regardless of the kit chosen.

Questions: Since the strut assembly is the limiting factor (bump stop/full extension) wouldn't both kits result in a lift of 2" while maintaining the stock suspension travel? The only difference I can see between the two is that the BDS kit would result in a higher stress in the strut at full droop due to the spring preload, and it would be more difficult to install.

If you have either of these lifts, how happy are you with your decision?

If my assumptions are incorrect, or my conclusion is off base please let me know. I appreciate your responses!
Sponsored

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I want a leveling kit to reduce the stock rake on my truck and potentially help me fit some larger tires. I have narrowed it down to the ReadyLIFT 2" Leveling Kit, which uses a 1"spacer on the top and bottom of the strut assembly, and the BDS 2" Leveling Kit, which uses a spacer on the top of the strut assembly and a spring preload ring inside of the strut assembly.

Assumptions: Suspension droop is limited by the fully extended length of the strut. Since both kits affect only the length of the installed strut, all other suspension geometry will be the same regardless of the kit chosen.

Questions: Since the strut assembly is the limiting factor (bump stop/full extension) wouldn't both kits result in a lift of 2" while maintaining the stock suspension travel? The only difference I can see between the two is that the BDS kit would result in a higher stress in the strut at full droop due to the spring preload, and it would be more difficult to install.

If you have either of these lifts, how happy are you with your decision?

If my assumptions are incorrect, or my conclusion is off base please let me know. I appreciate your responses!
I have the BDS lift in my 20' FX4 Sport Ranger Crew. I love the kit! Made the truck look more like a "truck" in my mind as I couldn't stand the front rake. Install took me 1.5 hours in my garage on a Sunday Morning ( Journey man Tech ) I had the front end alignment corrected immediately(toe). Suspension travel seems to be the same, haven't bottomed it yet. Ride quality is no different than it was, however I installed the kit immediately and had less than 30Km on it myself. I went with the BDS kit as I was concerned about the amount of Stress on the upper strut mount studs with a 2" spacer at the top. I like how the BDS kit splits the lift between the 2 positions.

IMG_0813.jpg

OP
OP
M_C_shady

M_C_shady

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the BDS lift in my 20' FX4 Sport Ranger Crew. I love the kit! Made the truck look more like a "truck" in my mind as I couldn't stand the front rake. Install took me 1.5 hours in my garage on a Sunday Morning ( Journey man Tech ) I had the front end alignment corrected immediately(toe). Suspension travel seems to be the same, haven't bottomed it yet. Ride quality is no different than it was, however I installed the kit immediately and had less than 30Km on it myself. I went with the BDS kit as I was concerned about the amount of Stress on the upper strut mount studs with a 2" spacer at the top. I like how the BDS kit splits the lift between the 2 positions.

IMG_0813.jpg

OP
OP
M_C_shady

M_C_shady

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ahh.. I didn't even think about that... did yours come with new shocks as well?

MTNBKR3179

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 FX4
Occupation
USAF
Speaking of leveling kits, I ordered one. I want to install it. But can't since no shop in Vegas will do an alignment after it's installed. Called several places and no shop will touch it.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of leveling kits, I ordered one. I want to install it. But can't since no shop in Vegas will do an alignment after it's installed. Called several places and no shop will touch it.
Don’t sound right. The MLR Teacher (Maintenance & Lite Repair) down the hall at the high school I teach at did my alignment.

MTNBKR3179

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 FX4
Occupation
USAF
I thought it odd too. I told them I had a 2.5 leveling kit. They said they either won't do it or don't have the specs to do it. So I sit here staring at the kit sitting on my coffee table, trying to figure out my next move.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
My buddy who does alignments, used the specifications provided on his Hunter machine software.

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I did the Daystar leveling kit and did the front end alignment in my driveway.

IMG_1744[1].jpg

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh.. I didn't even think about that... did yours come with new shocks as well?
I Ordered my kit with the FOX 2.0 shocks as an option.

Last edited:

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
One added benefit to lift or leveling kit, is that now you can access the oil filter without removing the front tire, makes it much easier to access.

MTNBKR3179

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150 FX4
Occupation
USAF
I found a shop in Vegas that will do it. Problem solved. Now to install the lit before my appointment there.

OP
OP
M_C_shady

M_C_shady

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

IMG_0813.jpg
Did you have any issues installing the preload spacers on your truck? Mine wouldn't fit down the body of the shock, I even got it ripping hot with a heat gun and still no dice.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any issues installing the preload spacers on your truck? Mine wouldn't fit down the body of the shock, I even got it ripping hot with a heat gun and still no dice.
No Problem at all, they just slid down by hand.

OP
OP
M_C_shady

M_C_shady

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
No Problem at all, they just slid down by hand.
Welp... im thinking it was an issue with the shock bodies. The lip at the top was 0.002 inches too wide, but the body itself was 0.010 smaller than the spacer. Guess it was just a freak occurrence. I'm thinking of going with the readylift kit, since it uses a spacer on the top and bottom of the strut rather than the pre load space on the shock.
Sponsored