First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Question? 2020 XLT Ranger. I gave my VIN number to the parts person, and was told that the Ford TBC is not (Redarc)compatible with my last 8 digits of VIN number.
So now I don’t know what to purchase for our towing needs. Camper is not purchased yet, but estimate about 5-6000 lbs. Manual states that a TBC is recommended with heavier tow trailers. Not getting any help from my local dealer.Any assistance is appreciated.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
We recently bought a Jayco Jay Flight SLX 174BH which is approx 3000 lbs and 17' long (or 21.5' tongue to bumper, I think). There are many different floor plans available in and around that weight and length, from many brands. We went with Jayco as we have no particular brand loyalty and it was the only brand I could find locally with the particular floorplan we wanted. As was said above, demand is high and supply is low. So far it's turned out to be quite a nice little trailer, though. We're very happy with it.

We chose the 174BH floorplan as it has 2 bunks and a bathroom in the rear, a queen bed in the front, and kitchen and dinette in-between. Our daughter sleeps in one of the bunks and the 2nd bunk is there for a friend or for storage. The dinette could also turn into a bed if-needed but we'll probably never do that.

With the newer model years you don't have to worry about things like going outside and manually lighting pilot lights or flipping switches to change between electric and gas. I was surprised to find that our water heater lights itself, as does the furnace. Using the water heater is as simple as turning it on from either of the switches by the front door (one for gas and one for elec - and you can use both at the same time to speed things up). The furnace is as simple a turning it on at the thermostat. The water pump is a simple on/off at the door as well. I thought things would be more complex but it all just kind of works. If you're plugged into shore power then the battery charges and you can use 110V outlets, microwave, A/C, etc. Lights, radio, and other basics run off of 12V regardless of whether or not there's shore power. There's no switching modes between 12V or 110V on anything.

Anyway as far as towing goes the Ranger tows it well but towing anything big and boxy is going to be a bit scary at times thanks to the wind. And it'll kill your gas mileage as well. In order to lessen the effect of wind blowing the trailer around you could buy a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I am not doing this myself but I might later on. For now I am going to install Eibach shocks in the rear of my Ranger to help control bounciness, which will probably be enough for me. I find the Ranger a little too bouncy even without a trailer, in certain areas that I travel specifically.

Also want to add that you'll need a brake controller as well. There's only one that has Ford's seal of approval for use with automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise, and that's their own kit which uses a RedArc controller. I plan to get this but for now I am using a Curt Echo wireless controller which works well but lacks a physical control in case brakes need to be applied manually. Instead it relies on a phone app to control the brakes manually, which isn't ideal.

1600143993179.png

1600144000642.png
Your brake controller should work in conjunction with your brakes. I found the exhonjust didnnotndonits job and had to return it. It does conflict with the safety features. I have the Tekonsha P3 and it works well.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I have a Winnebego Micro Minnie. Mine is the 2108ds. But there are Lots of different models to select from all under 4000 lbs. It is a good weight and length. I believe it it 21 ft. Long. I have towed a trailer up to 25ft. But longer than I would want to tow on a regular basis.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned so much from this thread. I wish the Ranger came with Pro-Backup option like the F150 does. I was also worried about the small-ish gas tank of only 18 Gals *I've not seen where people are mentioning their milage much of a concern towing on a trip?

Last edited:

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned so much from this thread. I wish the Ranger came with Pro-Backup option like the F150 does. I was also worried about the small-ish gas tank of only 18 Gals *I've not seen where people are mentioning their milage much of a concern towing on a trip?
I have to stop for restroom every two hours so it does not bother me. Not only that, I need to move around rather than sitting in the car driving more than two hours will drive me crazy. So small tank is not an issue.
Sponsored