First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I am pretty sure that thing needs some grease but.. before I go make an appointment to show up and get another appointment with the dealer with them wanting to keep it.... Can someone confirm I am not crazy.

I feel the thud/pop (no sound but the feeling seems like it should go with that noise) in the wheel. I have seen others describe feeling more like someone bumped you when the slip joint needs grease. It is ONLY felt in the steering wheel on mine but only when the slip joint is moving. Right on start/stop/or going into weird driveways with odd angles. I thought the wheel might be loose, but no. It's good.

If that is a no, any idea what might cause that in the steering wheel? Nothing obvious on the look at and shake stuff test.
Sponsored

Kfd1640

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4
Occupation
LEO
Looking at it from a standpoint of it being felt in the steering wheel, I would suspect maybe ball joint, tie rod, or maybe cv joint if you have 4x4. The bump from the slip joint is usually felt in the seat not the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Looking at it from a standpoint of it being felt in the steering wheel, I would suspect maybe ball joint, tie rod, or maybe cv joint if you have 4x4. The bump from the slip joint is usually felt in the seat not the steering wheel.
4x2

But that is why I am being weird about it. The steering wheel thing seemed.. off. It just happens when others have fixed it with the slip joint greasing.

Kfd1640

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4
Occupation
LEO
I would definitely have the front end inspected. Most likely it’s something minor, I’ve had the strut tower on other vehicles do something similar to what your describing along with a worn sway bar bushing. Good luck to you

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
I would definitely have the front end inspected. Most likely it’s something minor, I’ve had the strut tower on other vehicles do something similar to what your describing along with a worn sway bar bushing. Good luck to you
I'll make the appointment. Maybe I can get them to just give the first available time for their front end guy vs driving over to find out they can't look at it this week.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I'll make the appointment. Maybe I can get them to just give the first available time for their front end guy vs driving over to find out they can't look at it this week.
I had my dealer lube the slip joint and it fixed the driveline thunk. But it was never felt in the steering wheel, only on the driveline.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
The steering wheel scenario you describe is tied to the telescopic steering shaft between the firewall and the rack and pinion. I spent an hour or so checking all the bolts in the front end of mine and when I jiggled the steering shaft, it replicated the noise in the cab.

I did swing by service department and inquired about it. Service manager said it was common and suggested I drive a low mile 2021 on the lot to verify same. Sure enough it had same symptoms.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
The steering wheel scenario you describe is tied to the telescopic steering shaft between the firewall and the rack and pinion. I spent an hour or so checking all the bolts in the front end of mine and when I jiggled the steering shaft, it replicated the noise in the cab.

I did swing by service department and inquired about it. Service manager said it was common and suggested I drive a low mile 2021 on the lot to verify same. Sure enough it had same symptoms.
That was the first thing I sort of looked into when I felt it. I reset the wheels position to see if that did anything. Interesting.

brendough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Hi,

sorry for this late bump but did you ever solve this? My 2022 has had the same thing since I bought it last year. It’s worse in hot weather.
Sponsored