Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
One final note, I used hose clamps to secure the boot. They were just a shade wide, but I was able to get them in tightly enough that I couldn't hear air when moving the joint. I also offset the screw head of each clamp by 180" so that it helps with balance. Not sure if that even matters.

I tried to use the actual Oetiker ear-style pinch clamps, but of the five auto part stores in my area, my selection was extremely limited. They ended up being too thin (OEM are 3/8" and the ones I got were 1/4") as well as too short. I actually bent the hook trying to get them to latch meaning they were also probably low quality.

I'm thinking of going to Amazon to get the right size universally adjustable clamps (I have the appropriate crimper tool) or get the band style clamps (which I don't have that tool).

Has anyone else used hose clamps to do this?

Am I thinking about this way too much? (The good news is I don't have to take the axle off to simply replace the clamps.)

I did the lift on mine and had to use a regular worm drive hose clamp for the outer cv boot in early July. I just noticed last week that the clamp is still there and tight, but seems the grease splattered out everwhere. not sure if i just put too much in, or what.
I did not realized at the time that you are supposed to get the extra air out of the boot with a flathead.
going to look into buying the real oetiker clamp and more grease as soon as I can.
Anyone know a part number for the outer most clamp on the outer CV boot?
shop manual has nothing, clamp itself says "98 oetiker"
hope yours didnt leak out like mine did lol
Sponsored

viper94bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Just put in 2.5 leveling kit. Ended up with this. Both sides felt like they went back in.. these axles are expensive!
KIMG0793.JPG

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Interesting thread and never know when you might need it. Seeing the scarcity of some Ranger parts these days some have already arrived in salvage yards. I have been using this site for a longtime to find hard to come by used parts. Looks like a CV joint is worth making a request and yards that have them will email you offers.
https://www.partrequest.com/
Sponsored