Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this issue. We bought a certified used 2017 Edge Sport w/ 31k miles. My son was driving the other day with the A/C blasting when it was 115+ outside in PHX. Yep the 2020 west coast heat wave is no joke folks. Anyways he decides to open up the panoramic sunroof and it spiderwebbed. Thankfully it remained intact and there was not a shower of glass.
My first impression is that this happened due to the extreme and rapid temp change, but gee if this were normal behavior I'd think it's happening to everyone. Now I'm not sure anyone other than an 18 year old would want to open the sunroof when it's hotter than the face of the sun outside, but still I wonder how the glass can shatter from normal operation.
There is an open recall on this vehicle, but it is for the windshield header which may or may not be related. I'm going to take it to the dealer and request and/or demand it be replaced under the factory warranty, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they may point me to my insurance company for a glass claim. Which is totally unacceptable, but we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there.

Anyone else heard of this?
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I don't know, that's really not that difference of a temperature gradient. Even if he had it set to like 60deg inside, that's only a 55-60deg difference. A lot of people see much more than that all winter long, myself included. I can be sitting in my truck with the temp set at 70F while it's -40F or below (yep the midwest winters are no joke) outside (a 110deg difference), open the window and it doesn't shatter.

Sounds more like it was already damaged in some way or it got jammed/hung up while opening.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Yea Im thinking it was already fractured somewhere, from who knows what. Then opening it cause the rapid spread.

AZLightning

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 Kawasaki Versys 650
You can read about it online but there has been a problem with panoramic sunroofs on a lot of vehicles randomly exploding and showering people with glass.