Edge Question

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I am recently reunited with the Ford family after many years. I am familiar the the Edge crossover vehicle but was surprised to see an older Ranger with an Edge sticker on it. Would someone please fill me in on the Edge relationship to the Ranger and how it came to be it’s own vehicle? Thank you in advance for the tutorial.
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I am recently reunited with the Ford family after many years. I am familiar the the Edge crossover vehicle but was surprised to see an older Ranger with an Edge sticker on it. Would someone please fill me in on the Edge relationship to the Ranger and how it came to be it’s own vehicle? Thank you in advance for the tutorial.
Here is a 2001 Ranger Edge...formerly known as Robert.(Red-Ford)
It was a package on the Ranger which had a 4WD chassis but it was 2WD with welded spindles in front..
Rubber floornats, roll up windows the graphics are custom 'cause I didn't like the Blue block letters which came on it.
It was 4.0L 5SPD manual with big brakes and an 8.8" rearend.
The picture is recent.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

Last edited:

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
The Edge appeared in 2001 and offered a 2WD Ranger that had the ride height of a 4x4 Ranger. In 2006, Ford switched from using the Edge name to using 'Sport'. In 2007, 'Edge' became a vehicle all in itself as a Ford midsize crossover SUV. (From the RangerStation.com)

Reactions: Ric

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Yep...that was my baby...We did this as a way to give the Ranger a 4x4 look without all the running gear of a 4x4...It was a quite easy way to use existing components, 4x4 wheels, Torsion bar front suspension frame...We did have a bit of trouble with the #3 crossmember to the 4x2 driveshaft clearance and had to put a wow in the crossmember for better clearance. We added the step bar as a feature, making it body mounted instead of frame mounted to eliminate potential NVH issues. Did not sell many as I recall, but I recently saw one in a parking lot of our local Supermarket. I remember when we ran the first Edge down the assembly line...Things were going along just fine until we stopped to watch the wheel and tire installation...The line operator had a cow as it was a 4x4 vehicle but he thought the 4x2 wheels was a misbuild. I told him it was okay, but he refused to listen until we got the area foreman to tell him to put it on. He was keying off the torsion bar front suspension.. Fortunately we did not really loose any production as it was resolved quickly, but was a lesson learned that you have to expect the unexpected on go fast programs like the Ranger Edge...Don't get me started on the Ranger Splash...Ug...what a horrible name in my mind...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Range Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I had an early 2000s Edge (don't remember the exact year, probably 2002 or 2003). It came with rubber floor mats instead of carpet, had a plastic rail cap along the sides of the bed, and mine was 4x4.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I hated those plastic Bed Rails...cheap and ugly....Edge was not intended as a 4x4, but as I retired in 2002, if an 03, Marketing may have applied it to 4x4, but the Edge concept was never to be a 4x4. Frickin' Marketing folks were trying to make the bed look deeper as that was the trend according to them...Fought to have those bed rails trashed from the program, but lost that battle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I hated those plastic Bed Rails...cheap and ugly....Edge was not intended as a 4x4, but as I retired in 2002, if an 03, Marketing may have applied it to 4x4, but the Edge concept was never to be a 4x4. Frickin' Marketing folks were trying to make the bed look deeper as that was the trend according to them...Fought to have those bed rails trashed from the program, but lost that battle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Interesting - I always liked those plastic bed rails on my 2000 and 2002 Rangers - they helped protect the bed side tops. When I got my 2005 and it didn't have them, I got the spray in liner which they wrapped over the lip to help protect it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I bought a new Splash Ranger in 1992.
It was a pushrod 4.0L 6CYL 5SPD manual It had articulated bucket seats with separately adjustable thigh support.
GREAT truck, I ordered it with the Splash graphic deleted. Red truck with white and blue giant graphic sounds great but it looked like it had sideswiped a bridge or ran over some buckets of paint!:crackup:
When it came in without the graphic the dealer failed to call me at first 'cause he thought it was a base truck.
It looked something like the one below. The very next year was the new bodystyle and the splash was just a little too "cute"
8923_1203003841.jpg

5114Yrg8YsL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a new Splash Ranger in 1992.
It was a pushrod 4.0L 6CYL 5SPD manual It had articulated bucket seats with separately adjustable thigh support.
GREAT truck, I ordered it with the Splash graphic deleted. Red truck with white and blue giant graphic sounds great but it looked like it had sideswiped a bridge or ran over some buckets of paint!:crackup:
When it came in without the graphic the dealer failed to call me at first 'cause he thought it was abase truck.
It looked something like the one below. The very next year was the new bodystyle and the splash was just a little too "cute"
8923_1203003841.jpg

5114Yrg8YsL._SX342_QL70_.jpg
Hi Floyd,

Most of us in LTE Light Truck Engineering did not want the truck named a Splash. We thought it was the sound a turd makes wihen it hits the water....Oh well...Trite but True...water under the bridge...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
My dad bought a 93 Ranger Splash with graphics delete, red paint that always dulled no matter how many times it was washed/waxed. It was an extended cab with 4.0l and 5 speed. For a truck, it was pretty quick and nimble. When my parents went out of town, I would take it to cruise downtown and even race a few times.

Reactions: Ric

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The new Edge is a great suv my wife loves it because it can hold a LOT of stuff in it, She loves to shop lol
Sponsored