Occupation
Professional.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
This doesn’t explain load height stability does it?
I didn't see it. But I did simply skim through it quickly so certainly possible that I missed it.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That looks nice, but is also the reason Ford states in the manual:

USING A SLIDE-IN CAMPER

We do not recommend using your pickup for carrying a slide-in camper.
Wonder how Ford feels about the total front facing area of this setup

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I think many are overthinking this....Ford is just CYA against any type of legal action by printing that.
Years ago, before the "lawsuit happy customers and attorneys" one of the big selling points for a pickup was the ability to load/carry/use large and heavy slide in campers.
And, like the ones I pictured, some were very large, very heavy, and top heavy....yet people bought and used them for many years.
Properly set up, the Ranger would have no problem handling the Scout....Just my opinion....
The dry weight of the Scout is less than the tongue weight of our travel trailer which, when hooked up, places that weight on the Ranger. That plus what I carry in the bed, and our interior people and pets puts us at the loaded weight of the Scout.
High center of gravity...maybe. But no worse than driving with a 24 foot, 9 foot high shoe box shaped trailer.

853395dac13fdd0088791a3c395dc4df.jpg

1287762669_chinook-2sally.jpg

images.jpg

Last edited:

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I think many are overthinking this....Ford is just CYA against any type of legal action by printing that.
Years ago, before the "lawsuit happy customers and attorneys" one of the big selling points for a pickup was the ability to load/carry/use large and heavy slide in campers.
And, like the ones I pictured, some were very large, very heavy, and top heavy....yet people bought and used them for many years.
Properly set up, the Ranger would have no problem handling the Scout....Just my opinion....
The dry weight of the Scout is less than the tongue weight of our travel trailer which, when hooked up, places that weight on the Ranger. That plus what I carry in the bed, and our interior people and pets puts us at the loaded weight of the Scout.
High center of gravity...maybe. But no worse than driving with a 24 foot, 9 foot high shoe box shaped trailer.

853395dac13fdd0088791a3c395dc4df.jpg

1287762669_chinook-2sally.jpg

images.jpg
Kind of my point, but also, the OP campers COG is likely in the bed rail area.
A balloon with lead weight tied to the bottom looks top heavy.
Sail area is a different matter. I drive a medium roof height Transit van so I am well aware of that effect.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
What does this thing do to the MPG?
Sid, that's a question that is answered...."If you are worried about mpg, while towing or hauling, than get a Prius and stay at a Motel 6" :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Rammstein

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL, FX4
Occupation
Outdoor Recreation Planner
What does this thing do to the MPG?
In our case it dropped it to about 17.0 MPG over the last 5,000 miles.

We have a 2021 Ford Ranger STX FX4 Supercrew with a payload of 1,486 pounds. Put a Scout Yoho with a dry weight of 946 pounds on in April 2022 and added E Rated 265/70/R17 Discoverer Cooper A/T tires and SumoSprings blue, 1,000 pound. I called SumoSprings and told them of our camper and desired use on rough 4WD roads and they recommended the blue 1,000 pound rather than the black 1,500 pound SumoSprings.

We have about 15,000 miles on the truck with about 13,000 miles with camper. Last 5,000 miles with camper on all but about 100 miles was 17.0 MPG. I drive the speed limit with camper on and we live in the Four Corners area where the fastest speed limit is 70mph. Most of the time we are going 55-65mph. Mileage greatly suffers on Interstates going 75mph or faster. We spend much of our time camping in either the San Juan Mountains in Colorado, Southeast Utah or visiting our friends on the Navajo Nation. All of the above involve extensive dirt roads with many sections of 4WD LO. So far everything is working great. Truck handles camper very well and is amazingly quick when passing is needed or going up a paved pass in the San Juans, but also plenty of low end torque for rough trails at 12,000 feet with the camper on.

If we didn't have two dogs that ride in the back of the Supercrew, we would have bought a Supercab as the longer bed keeps more of the camper weight in front of the rear axle. Haven't noticed any problems with our Supercrew.

I've weighed the truck/camper fully loaded for 9 days including beer, food, beer, water, extra 5 gallons of gas, beer, two humans and two dogs and we were over GVWR, under on front axle and over on rear axle. Not over by much, but still over. It is possible to be under payload with a Scout Yoho on a Ford Ranger, but you have to be very careful about weight.

I've driven quite a few roundabouts without any issues.

Here are some pictures of our Ranger/Yoho in the Chuska Mountains on the Navajo Nation.

Lots of folks have Yohos on Rangers on the Scout Campers Owners Facebook page.

I am not recommending a Scout Yoho on a Ford Ranger to anyone else, just my personal experience which has been quite good so far. If things go south, I'll be sure to post.
Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 1.jpg
Chuska Mtns Ford Ranger Scout Yoho 2.jpg

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
640lbs dry...probably 850lbs + loaded...that's almost light...
It's not the weight, it's the height. Rangers already have a high CG, adding something like that raises the CG and leads to instability.
and now let's calculate all this again with the 6cm wider track that everyone here has anyway because otherwise the car will sway even empty like a Venetian gondola

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Even though I have stock shocks, I rarely get going fast enough in a Sedona or VOC roundabout to experience roll.
Most tourists don't know the difference between yield and stop, and will sit there at the yield sign instead of going, even when there is no one coming around the roundabout.
20220930_073828.jpg

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.