Savagegeese

Meech_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2021 VW Tiguan R-Line
Savagegeese 2021 Tremor review

I tend to like this guys review style compared to a lot of other youtubers. He goes as far as putting each vehicle on a lift and going over the underbody of the vehicles and sometimes even speaks with mechanics on if they see any red flags mechanically on newer vehicles.

Damn does it hurt to watch when he reviews the Ranger though. This is his 2nd review of the ranger, this time being the Tremor package.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah he can be rather snobby and none of the vehicles he complains about are ever that bad. Automotive journalists tend to be spoiled by the best of the industry, so vehicles that are fantastic to the average Joe look like shit to him.

Like you said he clearly has a technical understanding that most auto journalists don't so his content is good in that regard, but it gets old listening to him complain.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I stopped watching his stuff as he's usually unjustly harsh on all things American. Like I understand his issues, but he tends to dwell on them too much

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

I tend to like this guys review style compared to a lot of other youtubers. He goes as far as putting each vehicle on a lift and going over the underbody of the vehicles and sometimes even speaks with mechanics on if they see any red flags mechanically on newer vehicles.

Damn does it hurt to watch when he reviews the Ranger though. This is his 2nd review of the ranger, this time being the Tremor package.
Attention: Dave @AzScorpion
Shout out for the Damper...

"However the lift-gate is not "soft-open and soft-close" so you have to be a little bit more careful with that..."

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

I have to say, he explains the issues with the drivetrain very clearly. It's always in too high a gear, and spinning at 1200 rpm, and there is just a vibration that permeates through the entire truck. ... This is all done in the name of fuel economy, trying to get that fleet average up... Had to put it in Sport mode to keep it out of that rpm range.

My comment: Spot on. The fix is reprogramming / tuning, but Ford can't officially support this for liability and regulatory reasons, mostly CAFE standards. This is (one of) the reason(s) for the demise of the original Ranger in 2011.

Best they can do is Ford Performance tune (by and with Livernois, from what I understand)...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Attention: Dave @AzScorpion
Shout out for the Damper...

"However the lift-gate is not "soft-open and soft-close" so you have to be a little bit more careful with that..."
The longer they delay that as a factory option the longer I stay in business. ?

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Mr. Geese is quick to denigrate the Ranger and complain about its price, but he owns a LC 500 (starts at 94k) and he waxes poetic about his overpriced Lexus GS coupe.

Dollar for dollar you're getting way more with a Ranger than the GM Twins or Tacoma. Do you give up a little bit of interior panache? Sure. Does the transmission on the Ranger lug more than necessary? Sure.

However, that is on balance with the torque deficits in the v6 midsizers and I really am not impressed by any midsized truck's interior.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I believe that Mr. Geese (Mark Sanevski) cashed-in his chips from some high-paying tech job to fund his auto journalism business. He seems to have some experience with user interface design, and he is very critical of poorly-designed infotainment systems. I have been watching him for a while, and think he does a better job than most.

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Mr. Geese is quick to denigrate the Ranger and complain about its price, but he owns a LC 500 (starts at 94k) and he waxes poetic about his overpriced Lexus GS coupe.

Dollar for dollar you're getting way more with a Ranger than the GM Twins or Tacoma. Do you give up a little bit of interior panache? Sure. Does the transmission on the Ranger lug more than necessary? Sure.

However, that is on balance with the torque deficits in the v6 midsizers and I really am not impressed by any midsized truck's interior.
That's why his review of the 2019 Ranger is titled "Best in Class Letdown". He also shits all over the current gen Colorado and Tacoma in older reviews as well. Having come from an F-150 myself I can understand why he thinks so poorly of midsized trucks; after seeing what the Big 3 can do with their full size offerings the midsize segment is decidedly phoned in at the moment. Hopefully with the Frontier going from a joke to a class-leader in one giant leap everyone else will sit up and pay attention.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
That's why his review of the 2019 Ranger is titled "Best in Class Letdown". He also shits all over the current gen Colorado and Tacoma in older reviews as well. Having come from an F-150 myself I can understand why he thinks so poorly of midsized trucks; after seeing what the Big 3 can do with their full size offerings the midsize segment is decidedly phoned in at the moment. Hopefully with the Frontier going from a joke to a class-leader in one giant leap everyone else will sit up and pay attention.
Here's the real counterpoint: Can midsizers ever actually be smaller full-sized trucks? I don't think so.

I don't think there's enough cost savings in downsizing everything ~10% for a midsized truck to still manage the lesser transaction prices on midsized trucks while offering equal content to full-sized trucks.

Buyers like myself 26 with a 22 year old partner do not have the 45k necessary to buy a mid-grade F-150. Heck, 35k was a stretch pricewise.

Edit: went through the Gladiator's build page and after selecting a few options I was at 61.2k. Is that where we want midsized trucks to go?

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Here's the real counterpoint: Can midsizers ever actually be smaller full-sized trucks? I don't think so.

I don't think there's enough cost savings in downsizing everything ~10% for a midsized truck to still manage the lesser transaction prices on midsized trucks while offering equal content to full-sized trucks.

Buyers like myself 26 with a 22 year old partner do not have the 45k necessary to buy a mid-grade F-150. Heck, 35k was a stretch pricewise.

Edit: went through the Gladiator's build page and after selecting a few options I was at 61.2k. Is that where we want midsized trucks to go?
I think the Gladiator is a niche/lifestyle vehicle; almost no one is going to find a realistic use case for a $60,000 Rubicon/Mojave where they not only need the capability but they're willing to smash up a super expensive truck off road. The people driving them are the same dudes I see driving $75,000 Raptors to work in the city everyday.

My 2019 F-150 XLT was $43,000 out the door and it was worlds better than my 2021 Ranger XLT at $38,000. I don't see that as much of a price delta to get a vehicle that's objectively superior. The only win I see for mid-sizers is their more practical size for day to day life, which I do appreciate. It's a very poor value proposition just to get a truck I can parallel park on a crowded street.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
I think the Gladiator is a niche/lifestyle vehicle; almost no one is going to find a realistic use case for a $60,000 Rubicon/Mojave where they not only need the capability but they're willing to smash up a super expensive truck off road. The people driving them are the same dudes I see driving $75,000 Raptors to work in the city everyday.

My 2019 F-150 XLT was $43,000 out the door and it was worlds better than my 2021 Ranger XLT at $38,000. I don't see that as much of a price delta to get a vehicle that's objectively superior. The only win I see for mid-sizers is their more practical size for day to day life, which I do appreciate. It's a very poor value proposition just to get a truck I can parallel park on a crowded street.
Not to be rude, but I noticed you bought a Ranger. Did you know that spec for spec an F150 was almost 10k more when I bought my Ranger in October of 21'?

The same is true today. You aren't getting a 2021/22 F150 Crewcab 4x4 for less than 45k. Your XLT stickers for over 48k today with a current $500 cash incentive from Ford.

Edit again: My Ranger is an STX Crew 4x4 with trailer towing pkg and a rear locker. OTD was 34.5k. Just built an STX F150 with the 2.7T, to be fair it has a touchscreen standard and the Ranger doesn't, but the F150 MSRP is $46,965.

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Not to be rude, but I noticed you bought a Ranger. Did you know that spec for spec an F150 was almost 10k more when I bought my Ranger in October of 21'?

The same is true today. You aren't getting a 2021/22 F150 Crewcab 4x4 for less than 45k. Your XLT stickers for over 48k today with a current $500 cash incentive from Ford.

Edit again: My Ranger is an STX Crew 4x4 with trailer towing pkg and a rear locker. OTD was 34.5k. Just built an STX F150 with the 2.7T, to be fair it has a touchscreen standard and the Ranger doesn't, but the F150 MSRP is $46,965.
I get that prices have gone up and incentives and leftover inventory aren't a thing anymore. That being said, an F-150 optioned similar to my old truck is now about $48,000 yet a Ranger XLT optioned close to the same spec (I say close because there are things you get on the F-150 which aren't available on any Ranger trim) and it comes to $41,500. When you break it out into a 72-month loan using Ford's own calculator it's less than $150/month difference between the two trucks. Obviously everyone's financials are different but if you actually even need a truck in the first place, in my (meaningless) opinion, that $150 extra is more than worth it for the F-150.
Sponsored