SABER Ranger Club Thread

Deleted member 1634

Heading out on another weekend camping adventure with the whole rig last Friday. Very wet and windy on the drive up, so that was fun with the 2 big sails on the roof. Made it just fine though and had a wonderful weekend with plenty of fall colors around already!

IMG_20190913_160508644_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, same here, I think they'll have to be pretty bad to ditch them right away. A new set of KO2s like on our old truck will get close to $1000 in this size. I'll need to wait a while for that. User reviews of the AT-M are decent enough, but those are for the after-market versions and we seem to have a cheaper, M+S rated OEM version. Time will tell. I notice you're in Duluth, our daughter is in UP Michigan (Houghton). She has an 4WD CR-V, but everyone there seems to put Blizzaks on in winter, so she does that for the extra safety margin even with 4WD. Some folks do that here, but with the steepness and ice we sometimes get, even those can cut loose at times.
I've been looking at either some Falken Wildpeaks (which I know a handful of people on here have already) or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (my brother had those on his Ranger in college and swears by them and will probably get them for his next truck whenever he gets it). Either of those will put me back at least $800. But again, not going to do anything for a little bit, until these either wear out or I get fed up with them.

Crazy that you say that, because I grew up in the UP and actually went to college at Michigan Tech in Houghton! So I'm well acquainted with bad winter driving. haha One of the reasons I'm so invested in good tires and everything, because I know just how bad it can get and how much help they can be. Especially on a winters night trip across the UP.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I've been looking at either some Falken Wildpeaks (which I know a handful of people on here have already) or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (my brother had those on his Ranger in college and swears by them and will probably get them for his next truck whenever he gets it). Either of those will put me back at least $800. But again, not going to do anything for a little bit, until these either wear out or I get fed up with them.

Crazy that you say that, because I grew up in the UP and actually went to college at Michigan Tech in Houghton! So I'm well acquainted with bad winter driving. haha One of the reasons I'm so invested in good tires and everything, because I know just how bad it can get and how much help they can be. Especially on a winters night trip across the UP.
Ha, small world, our daughter just started there last year. I helped her move there last summer in our old Ranger ('93, 260,000 mostly trouble-free miles -- this new one has big shoes to fill!). I was impressed how nice the whole area is -- UP, upper Wisconsin and Minnesota). She's actually living in Hancock - she wanted to be closer to the ski hill and be able to XC ski to school across the lake in the winter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these Hankooks at least do okay for a few years, maybe helped out a little by the TM system. After that, there are a number of good choices :).

Deleted member 1634

Ha, small world, our daughter just started there last year. I helped her move there last summer in our old Ranger ('93, 260,000 mostly trouble-free miles -- this new one has big shoes to fill!). I was impressed how nice the whole area is -- UP, upper Wisconsin and Minnesota). She's actually living in Hancock - she wanted to be closer to the ski hill and be able to XC ski to school across the lake in the winter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these Hankooks at least do okay for a few years, maybe helped out a little by the TM system. After that, there are a number of good choices :).
My brother actually had a '92 Ranger while he was there at college.

It really is a wonderful area. I've been very lucky to have grown up in there, and even more lucky to have found my dream adult job in the same kind of area! Definitely love it here! I lived in Hancock my last 2 years there as well. Wasn't to into downhill skiing, but it is nice the school has their own hill. Definitely did plenty of XC though, especially on those amazing trails up the hill. You get pretty spoiled going to a school like that in a place like that.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My brother actually had a '92 Ranger while he was there at college.

It really is a wonderful area. I've been very lucky to have grown up in there, and even more lucky to have found my dream adult job in the same kind of area! Definitely love it here! I lived in Hancock my last 2 years there as well. Wasn't to into downhill skiing, but it is nice the school has their own hill. Definitely did plenty of XC though, especially on those amazing trails up the hill. You get pretty spoiled going to a school like that in a place like that.
After we got there, my wife flew in and we spent about 5 days checking out the area. I remember seeing some of those other trails as well as large networks of MTB trails farther up the Keweenaw. We probably won't make it back there this summer or fall, but I can't wait to go back and spend more time.

We almost bought a '92, but by the time we were ready to do it, it was already widely known that the '93 was going to be a pretty big redesign, so we decided to wait it out. The basic styling of the '93 really only got minor facelifts all the way to 2012. It was pretty dated by then though, and the 5G really hits the mark, IMHO (especially in Saber, haha). I hope they don't ruin it in 2021/2022 by making it look like a Tacoma or something like that ;)

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
20190920_094007.jpg
Florida City
20190920_125912.jpg
Somewhere along the Florida Keys:)
20190920_132735.jpg
Almost 12hrs in Ranger together & lived to tell. Plus, I drove the whole way. That's sayin' somethin':LOL::handsinair:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Saw a friend in Key Largo. Beautiful ingot silver. Felt like he was a relative!!!

Deleted member 1634

Finally able to get out and do some, albeit mild, off-roading this past weekend!! Definitely hit the first couple puddles a little too fast and got some muddy water sprayed inside (I like to have my window open when off-roading so I car hear what's going on outside). And did use the mud Terrain Mode for a short section of nasty stuff, which was really interesting.

Some fall colors out there, but mostly pine where I was at.

IMG_20190920_151541_627.jpg

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Finally tinted the front 2 windows and had the bed sprayed. Soon after the pic I took the Line-X sticker off the window.

20190925_140442.jpg

20190925_140454.jpg

20190925_140505.jpg

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Might get to try out the new tires and snow terrain management sooner than expected.

IMG_20191009_131931.jpg
We got passed by here in the Treasure Valley but had some in the Long Valley.
Sponsored