• Total voters

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
In theory, could you not just spray with plasti-dip to cover for protection and peel off when it gets worn? I've never used it before, but was told that if you spray it on thick enough, it peels off. Not sure if it's expensive or whether it comes in clear. I'd like to hear what options are out there for protection.
Sponsored

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I went off roading multiple times with the truck this summer so my undercarriage is pretty scratched up in places. I also live in Michigan so I'm going to have to prepare for the salt.

My plant is to drive the truck up on ramps, degrease the whole undercarriage, and powerwash. Once dry, I'm going to sand down any exposed metal from the scratches to get rid of surface rust, then spray with Rustoleum Rust-Reformer. It's essentially black spray paint that reacts with rust and neutralizes the reaction to prevent spreading. I'm not sure how deep it penetrates into the rust, but I don't have any deep rust so I'm not too worried.

I've considered the fluid film stuff, but that stuff can peel and trap moisture over time. I'm kind of turned off by greasy undercoatings too since it makes everything...greasy. So paint it is!
Fluid film and other wax/oil undercoating physically cannot trap moisture, which is the appeal to them. Inline asphalt or rubberized undercoater..

Russell Powers

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat DC
Hi guys, new to forum. I have a 19 Ranger that I had undercoated with the NH Oil Undercoating. I am happy with it so far. I know I have to have it reapplied once a year, but the cost is reasonable to have it done. We'll see over time if this stuff works like advertised. These New Hampshire roads gets pretty salty during the winter months.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi guys, new to forum. I have a 19 Ranger that I had undercoated with the NH Oil Undercoating. I am happy with it so far. I know I have to have it reapplied once a year, but the cost is reasonable to have it done. We'll see over time if this stuff works like advertised. These New Hampshire roads gets pretty salty during the winter months.
I agree that annually is the way to go over a one time thing they offer at some dealerships. I use Krown and they actually have a warranty against rust as long as you apply every year.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
I agree that annually is the way to go over a one time thing they offer at some dealerships. I use Krown and they actually have a warranty against rust as long as you apply every year.
My dealer included the wax undercoating in the deal for the truck, but I will be switching to Krown once the wax undercoating starts breaking down (supposed to last around 3 years for wax). My Father in Law's cars are a testament that the oil coating works, as they last 15 years in arguably the saltiest roads and environment in North America.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
My dealer included the wax undercoating in the deal for the truck, but I will be switching to Krown once the wax undercoating starts breaking down (supposed to last around 3 years for wax). My Father in Law's cars are a testament that the oil coating works, as they last 15 years in arguably the saltiest roads and environment in North America.
I swear by it. My Mazda is nearly spotless after 9 winters of Ontario salt/brine/beet juice and whatever else they put on the roads! We picked the car up with 21km on it, drove straight to Krown and it was sprayed before 30km!

fordman89

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab, 2014 Ford Mustang GT
I'm in NE Ohio and leaning heavily towards using Krown on my Ranger. Does it seep much off the truck? If it does, how long? Also, how much of a clean up afterwards to the exterior? Thanks in advance!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in NE Ohio and leaning heavily towards using Krown on my Ranger. Does it seep much off the truck? If it does, how long? Also, how much of a clean up afterwards to the exterior? Thanks in advance!
No, there is very little dripping after the vehicle is sprayed. I just keep the car off the paved part of the driveway for a day or so after then it’s all good. The first drive after is a smoke show though with all the excess spray burning off on the exhaust and brakes.

Any of the locations I’ve been to will wash the vehicle when they are done.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Is the new Ranger that susceptible to rust? More than thirty years ago, it was necessary to undercoat a vehicle here in central Illinois. New vehicles for the last 30+ years have not needed undercoating. Most of them I have owned during this time actually recommended that undercoating was not necessary, so I never had them undercoated and have not had any rust issues. I have a 2020 Ranger on order and didn't plan on undercoating it, but maybe I should?
Thanks!

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Is the new Ranger that susceptible to rust? More than thirty years ago, it was necessary to undercoat a vehicle here in central Illinois. New vehicles for the last 30+ years have not needed undercoating. Most of them I have owned during this time actually recommended that undercoating was not necessary, so I never had them undercoated and have not had any rust issues. I have a 2020 Ranger on order and didn't plan on undercoating it, but maybe I should?
Thanks!
It's no more susceptible then any other modern vehicle out today, however many of the people discussing this here live in very salt prone regions, Michigan, Nova Scotia, Ontario, where the local governments use very high amounts of road clearing product which despite all the best protection in the industry will still rot out the bottom of the truck over time. (My '10 Ranger had to be replaced by this truck due to this)

As I always say with this kind of product YMMV depending on the region you are in and the common practices used for road maintenance, as well as even just proximity to salt water.

TRMN8TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Occupation
Ford Motor Company
I just sprayed the entire undercarriage of my f150 with Amsoil HD Metal protectant.

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a firm believer in Topcoat F-11. I've used it on my 2002 Ranger and my 2017 Edge. It gives a great shine and cuts down on washes by a bunch. You can put it on everything with no bad effects. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. On the windshield it works as good or better than rainX,

20190707_113754.jpg

fordman89

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab, 2014 Ford Mustang GT
No, there is very little dripping after the vehicle is sprayed. I just keep the car off the paved part of the driveway for a day or so after then it’s all good. The first drive after is a smoke show though with all the excess spray burning off on the exhaust and brakes.

Any of the locations I’ve been to will wash the vehicle when they are done.
Thanks!! I've heard about the smoke show driving away from the place haha. I guess I can park on the grass a few days afterwards just to be safe. My other option was Ziebart, but I'm just not too sure about them anymore. I've heard people that love it and others that wouldn't recommend it. Either way someone is drilling holes in the truck which I'm not too thrilled about. There's also a Miracle Shield place near me that does undercoating. All guarantee against rust so I guess it will come down to cost, but I'm leaning heavily towards Krown...

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you guys have links to this NH Oil or Krown stuff? I'd like to check out some more info and see what the application process is like.
https://www.krown.com/en/

This is Krown Canada but it should be pretty similar anywhere. They drill a bunch of holes and have different tubes and wands that coat inside rockers, bedsides and anywhere else. It’s not just a guy randomly drilling holes though. Krown has instructions for each vehicle on where to drill and where to spray.
Sponsored