First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I just had my Ranger towed to the dealer, because smoke started coming out of my gas filler hole (smelled like burning plastic) and I was having insane chugging issues, that were quite frightening. Bottom line is, when it was on the flatbed, I was looking around, and noticed this! (See pictures attached) is this normal for the shocks??? Or something very wrong here??

I'm really getting nervous about this Ranger... And don't want to prove the ford haters right!!

IMG_6603.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6605.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jacksonlucas1312
First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Okay perfect! Is there any reason why they look like that? And what even are they?? I'm trying my best to learn about vehicles as I go! And I'll keep this thread updated with what happens!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about smoke coming out the filler hole...first I've heard of this...

OP
OP
Jacksonlucas1312
First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Okay perfect! Is there any reason why they look like that? And what even are they?? I'm trying my best to learn about vehicles as I go! And I'll keep this thread updated with what happens!
I'm curious about smoke coming out the filler hole...first I've heard of this...
yeah... It was kind of scary... Hopefully I find out tomorrow! Just hope it won't cost too much🙃

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD

yeah... It was kind of scary... Hopefully I find out tomorrow! Just hope it won't cost too much🙃
Theyre mounted on top to the frame, the rust is probably from the bolt moisture causes it rust then runs down.. Its nothing to be worried about.

Bump stops keep the axle/leaf springs from bottoming out which would mean they would collide with the frame.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Is there any reason why they look like that?
They are like that because when the rear suspension bottoms out that rubber bumper hits the top of the leaf spring plate an stops the suspension from travelling any further causing damage.

Wang.S

Banned
Banned
First Name
Wang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5G
Occupation
Tech
Bottom line, is I would be more concerned about the smoke.

Do you run your tank down close to empty often? That would at least satiate the desires of the crowd that thinks you burn up fuel pumps that way.

Want the rust to disappear on your rubber bump stop more than worring about the smoke? go off road and get it dirty and work that suspension harder to use the stops. Can't grow grass on a busy street.

OP
OP
Jacksonlucas1312
First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Bottom line, is I would be more concerned about the smoke.

Do you run your tank down close to empty often? That would at least satiate the desires of the crowd that thinks you burn up fuel pumps that way.

Want the rust to disappear on your rubber bump stop more than worring about the smoke? go off road and get it dirty and work that suspension harder to use the stops. Can't grow grass on a busy street.
Yes, hopefully I hear back soon from dealer about what the deal is with smoke...

And I don't, I typically fill it half or at the very least a quarter left...

And sounds good! I'll definitely have to take her out a bit more and use that suspension!

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
If I bottom out just know I yelled hold my F***ING beer first hahaha
1100 lbs (In The Bed!) takes me down 1/2 inch

20230622_110817.jpg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Smoke from fuel filler?!?!?!?!?!? Will we see flames next?