RUSTBELT RANGERS

Deleted member 1634

I step on the running board and clap them on the running board one at a time as I slide into the seat.
Sounds like the best option. Especially since there's no grab handle on the driver's side to help me hop up onto the seat to clap. So far every time has been so awkward and I've almost slipped off the seat and out the open door a few times. haha
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
Sounds like the best option. Especially since there's no grab handle on the driver's side to help me hop up onto the seat to clap. So far every time has been so awkward and I've almost slipped off the seat and out the open door a few times. haha
them guys down under have that grab handle on drivers side wtf!!

Deleted member 1634

The Saber color seems to be one of the best for not showing winter coatings. The salt just adds a bit of lighter color to it, and the sand blends right in. It all just gives a more faded color and a bit more texture. haha

IMG_20191214_144736373_HDR.jpg

Deleted member 1634

i see you got the dreaded snow crunch onto the tailgate from the snow built up on the bumper.
be careful of that when its harder and filled with sand. it can and will damage your paint and maybe dent the sheet metal if you crush it too hard.
gotta get into the habit of removing it before you open the tailgate
Yeah, luckily it wasn't too much snow (only about and inch or so) and not rock hard or anything. But you're right, not something I had thought of until I heard it crunch the first time, but hopefully I can get into the habit of cleaning it off. I mean, ideally I should just clean it off anyways since my license plate is almost completely obscured, and has been for some time. I just hardly ever walk up to the truck from the back, so I never notice how much is there.

Good tip though, thanks!

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
Boy, it's a lot of work in the winter for you northern guys in the winter. I'm sure the snow and roads beat the crap out of your trucks. I lived in the mountains in northern Utah for seven years and it's kind of survival mode from December to April. But the summers are beautiful and make it all worth it.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Boy, it's a lot of work in the winter for you northern guys in the winter. I'm sure the snow and roads beat the crap out of your trucks. I lived in the mountains in northern Utah for seven years and it's kind of survival mode from December to April. But the summers are beautiful and make it all worth it.
There’s a saying in Maine, if you can’t take the winters you don’t deserve the summers

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Not really that northern, but it’s steady work to keep the salt off.

DE633663-6550-4BCA-8CFA-C89BD7DE824B.jpeg

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
I try in the winter, but sometimes you just can't fight it.
1660146301460.png

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I try in the winter, but sometimes you just can't fight it.
1660146301460.png
So glad we here in Hawaii don't have to deal with freezing temperatures (on Oahu, at least) and the resulting chemicals used to de-ice the roads and what that stuff does to metal.

However there's no escaping the salt air environment, it does take its toll on vehicle's finishes...along with everything else.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
So glad we here in Hawaii don't have to deal with freezing temperatures (on Oahu, at least) and the resulting chemicals used to de-ice the roads and what that stuff does to metal.

However there's no escaping the salt air environment, it does take its toll on vehicle's finishes...along with everything else.
For a very long time I lived close enough to the Pacific Ocean I could throw a rock and hit water.

Anything ferrous outside that was untreated/coated, would slowly disintegrate. Even stuff inside the garage that for whatever reason was just the right ferrous metal, would rust. I always kept the cars in the garage and it was temp controlled and for whatever reason never had a lick of rust.
''
Clearly we didn't have any ice melt on the roads there. ;)

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For a very long time I lived close enough to the Pacific Ocean I could throw a rock and hit water.

Anything ferrous outside that was untreated/coated, would slowly disintegrate. Even stuff inside the garage that for whatever reason was just the right ferrous metal, would rust. I always kept the cars in the garage and it was temp controlled and for whatever reason never had a lick of rust.
''
Clearly we didn't have any ice melt on the roads there. ;)
A family member had bought a brand new Camaro, may had been a 2015 or so.
She lives in an area on the south side of Oahu where waves perpetually crash onto nearby cliffsides, the salt spray is so thick that in an hour your car can be covered with a fine coating of moist salt.

Said cousin did not have a garage or carport to park her Chevy, so she was forced to park it in an area where many Ironwood trees are, the needles of these trees act like sponges in soaking up the salt spray.

Within 5 years her Camaro was ready for the crusher, it had rust holes on every horizontal sheet metal surface on the car. One hole on the roof was large enough for her to stick her fist through.

GM voided the corrosion perforation warranty on her car when she made numerous claims on the warranty and found out where she lived.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
A family member had bought a brand new Camaro, may had been a 2015 or so.
She lives in an area on the south side of Oahu where waves perpetually crash onto nearby cliffsides, the salt spray is so thick that in an hour your car can be covered with a fine coating of moist salt.

Said cousin did not have a garage or carport to park her Chevy, so she was forced to park it in an area where many Ironwood trees are, the needles of these trees act like sponges in soaking up the salt spray.

Within 5 years her Camaro was ready for the crusher, it had rust holes on every horizontal sheet metal surface on the car. One hole on the roof was large enough for her to stick her fist through.

GM voided the corrosion perforation warranty on her car when she made numerous claims on the warranty and found out where she lived.
I believe it.

We had a similar situation geographically. We were on the cliffs near the ocean and on big days, with onshore breezes, lots of salt in the air. We were remodeling our house the same time as our next door neighbor. We both had some wrought iron style railings and gates being planned.

We both compared notes on how much various materials affected our quotes. My neighbor chose steel as the price for the finished product was about 1/3 that of bronze. I asked my builder what he thought and he said, "I would do bronze, or skip a metal railing altogether".

I chose bronze and after about 3 years it took on a patina that looked like the painted steel railing my neighbor chose when he first installed it. In that same time, he had to replace his railings and gates, not structurally sound anymore. :(

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Many steel roof manufacturers warranties aren't valid if you are not far enough away from the ocean. Know some people who didn't read the fine print.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I believe it.

We had a similar situation geographically. We were on the cliffs near the ocean and on big days, with onshore breezes, lots of salt in the air. We were remodeling our house the same time as our next door neighbor. We both had some wrought iron style railings and gates being planned.

We both compared notes on how much various materials affected our quotes. My neighbor chose steel as the price for the finished product was about 1/3 that of bronze. I asked my builder what he thought and he said, "I would do bronze, or skip a metal railing altogether".

I chose bronze and after about 3 years it took on a patina that looked like the painted steel railing my neighbor chose when he first installed it. In that same time, he had to replace his railings and gates, not structurally sound anymore. :(
Bet the neighbor learned his lesson...

Concrete spalling is a major issue here in the islands with the thousands of concrete structures. Once the salt air permeates the concrete, decomposition of the rebar begins.

There was an tragic accident at a major shopping mall near the ocean in which metal railing gave way and a mall patron fell to his death. The lawsuit was settled out of court for a very lofty sum, as the mall owners are well known nationwide and own many such properties..

Ensuing work to repair the spalling has been an ongoing project for the past 2 years and is costing the mall owners a kings ransom.
Sponsored