First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
I know that some rust will happen over time on the frame and other parts under the truck. I have noticed that I have rust on the rear leaf spring clamps, spots on the frame, and the differential / axel as well. Not real bad but in comparison to the underside of the Gladiator I just traded in, it is more prevalent on the Ranger. I also just noticed that my hitch receiver has rust started on it as well around the edges. I have not put a hitch insert in it yet. I am sure some here could care less about rust under the truck, however I am a detail person (pun intended) and I like to have a rust free truck, if at all possible. I mentioned the Gladiator being pretty much rust free underneath and my previous 2021 F150 was the same way. Now the 2010 Jeep Wrangler I had was a absolute rusty piece of junk, brand new too, underneath from the dealer. Since FCA has taken over, it looks as Jeeps quality has improved over time a lot. Anyway, when I have time, I will hit the underside of the Ranger with the power washer and then hit the rusty areas with some black spray paint like Rust-oleum.
Anyone else notice this and what if anything did you do?
Thanks!
Sponsored

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT - 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I get my trucks rust proof sprayed every few years, was one of the first things i did on my new tremor. We get rough winters up here so its a must, finding a good shop that doesn't over spray is key as well!

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Just last nite I was under mine thinking about running board removal ? and the slip yoke thing and was noticing the same thing with Ole Rusty making his marks on me underbelly... ,my plan of attack ? I vowed to never venture under there again and simply "deleted" it from my worry list . I assume there is a light on the dash if it gets too bad...

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
out of curiosity can you show us some pics of the rust? the reason im asking is your truck is newer than mine and i dont have rust in those places yet. your in tennesee right? so not really getting the harsh winter and salts like up north to explain the rust. so i just wanted to look at it and see if it was like the typical brake rotor surface stuff or something else to look out for.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
out of curiosity can you show us some pics of the rust? the reason im asking is your truck is newer than mine and i dont have rust in those places yet. your in tennesee right? so not really getting the harsh winter and salts like up north to explain the rust. so i just wanted to look at it and see if it was like the typical brake rotor surface stuff or something else to look out for.
Hi Mark. I have already started to touch up or paint some of the rust in places so I am not able to show you all the rust I described. I am from Northern Indiana originally, so I know what winter street salts can do to vehicles. I am in a higher elevation area of Tennessee, so we do get snow here and the highway dept loves to salt the roads even when snow is just in the forecast, even if it doesn't snow. The liquid salt or brine they use here is so corrosive, it even tears up many cement driveways when the dirty / salty snow melts off vehicles parked om them and falls on the driveways, including mine. So that in part is why I want to protect the underside of my truck. If I get a chance I will take a few pictures, however it might be a day of so. Thanks!

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Thanks for the idea!
20220501_153628.jpg
20220501_155540.jpg
20220501_162722.jpg
20220502_184156.jpg

I recently found corroseal and decided to test it on some ubolt plates for a project of mine.

Super simple prep, Infinitely easier than por15..

Wire wheel off any loose rust, wipe with alcohol, brush on corroseal. Within 30 minutes the corroseal dries and leaves you with a super hard black coating.

The last picture was actually taken AFTER me taking a wire wheel to the cured corroseal. The wire wheel did absolutely nothing to the finish. It's tough. I was beyond impressed..

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
20220501_153628.jpg
20220501_155540.jpg
20220501_162722.jpg
20220502_184156.jpg

I recently found corroseal and decided to test it on some ubolt plates for a project of mine.

Super simple prep, Infinitely easier than por15..

Wire wheel off any loose rust, wipe with alcohol, brush on corroseal. Within 30 minutes the corroseal dries and leaves you with a super hard black coating.

The last picture was actually taken AFTER me taking a wire wheel to the cured corroseal. The wire wheel did absolutely nothing to the finish. It's tough. I was beyond impressed..
Thanks again!!!
Sponsored