First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Decided to wash my ranger today to get the worst of the Idaho road grime off it. Turns out I have small rust spots EVERYWHERE on my truck. Has anyone else experienced this? This thing is garage kept and has been babied since I bought it 10 months ago.

Picture added- little specks like that all over. I was going to run over it all with some meguiars mirror glaze but I wanted to see if anyone else had this going on first

94B7BE67-D318-4957-B5CE-A9AD9FF0AB89.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to wash my ranger today to get the worst of the Idaho road grime off it. Turns out I have small rust spots EVERYWHERE on my truck. Has anyone else experience this? This thing is garage kept and has been babied since I bought it 10 months ago.
Clay bar the truck, I had a vehicle that was next to a railroad. it became covered with brake dust that looked like rust, Clay bar took it all off, then I had a ceramic coating installed. It then looked new.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
This is what's called IFO or industrial fall out. Do you live near a rail yard, factory, or maybe a galvanizing plant? It's little metal particles in the air that land and embed in the paint. Then they rust. It's usually most noticeable on white and silver cars.

As others stated, a good wash and once over with a clay bar will take it all off.

OP
OP

Jlaner0408

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Gotcha. I was hoping that was all it was, but I don’t live near any of those types of places. I guess I do park near an airport 4 days a week so maybe that could be it?

I had a Tacoma years ago that I had to do that to because I worked at a foundry and was surrounded by rails. I figured that’s what it had to be, but I was really surprised. And worried since it seems like everyone has been ragging on the paint jobs for all the new rangers.

I’ll probably hit it with a clay bar and then throw a ceramic coating on it as well