mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I wonder if it could be from the transmission fluid being low. . . I saw on some other forums that people had low transmission fluid straight from the factory in the 10r80, granted they were in f-150’s and mustangs. About 1.5-2 quarts lower than it should be.
I have wondered the same thing, got under there to take the cap off, and check the trans dip stick, and couldn't get the cap to budge, didn't have much time to mess with it, will check at some point. Dealer said they did, but I didn't see any evidence the cap had been touched (still slightly dusty, not smudges).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have wondered the same thing, got under there to take the cap off, and check the trans dip stick, and couldn't get the cap to budge, didn't have much time to mess with it, will check at some point. Dealer said they did, but I didn't see any evidence the cap had been touched (still slightly dusty, not smudges).
Let us know if you get around to it. I’ll ask the dealer if they checked the fluid level when I pick up the truck, I’ll check for evidence and post an update as soon as I get the truck back.

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Just an update. Dealer just called me and said they were able to feel the rpm drop and they performed an update. I’m picking up the truck in the evening. I took pics of the current pcm strategy on forscan so I can compare and see what they changed if anything. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Alright, now I'm pissed. Picked up the truck a couple of hours ago. . . They stated they updated the software, forscan says they didn't. Also on the service paperwork they said they couldn't recreate the problem even though they called me and stated that they felt the RPM drop.

On another note, it is the torque converter locking up. I logged some stuff on forscan and drove it around a bit, every time the RPM drop occurs in third the torque converter engages and reaches 81psi. So I can confirm that the reason for the drop is the torque converter. Now I just have to figure out a few things. . . 1. Is it supposed to lock up? 2. If it is supposed to, is the pressure too high? 3. If it isn't normal, is it mechanical or can it be adjusted with programming?

They also said they checked the fluid level and it was normal but I don't see any evidence of them checking it.

Ford of Montebello, another dealership with a shady service department. Pretty disappointed.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If you could post the sensors or measurement you monitored in ForScan while logging and driving, I would like to try the same. Maybe we can compare.

Not sure how they could check the fluid level without going through the proper procedure, trans up to temp, and pulling cap, and dipstick. I was not convinced my dealership did either. I'll try to find time this weekend to get it in my shop and do it. Shop manual PDF has procedure, lvl on dip stick must be between 4-5 numbers if I recall.

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If you could post the sensors or measurement you monitored in ForScan while logging and driving, I would like to try the same. Maybe we can compare.

Not sure how they could check the fluid level without going through the proper procedure, trans up to temp, and pulling cap, and dipstick. I was not convinced my dealership did either. I'll try to find time this weekend to get it in my shop and do it. Shop manual PDF has procedure, lvl on dip stick must be between 4-5 numbers if I recall.
I called the service adviser and told him nothing was done, he was persistent about getting me back in there, made an appointment for thursday next week. I'll work on getting my log uploaded on here so you can see what I'm seeing.

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Couldn't make it to the dealer appointment but I recorded the log, links to the videos below.

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Did you ever get a chance to check the tranny fluid?

Emanuel22

First Name
Emanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021
Occupation
Elec. Tech.
Hey guys, first post here. Recently bought a 2019 ranger lariat fx4, have about 1200 miles on it. Build date according to the door jam is 4/19.

Loving the truck so far but I have noticed 2 things that are bugging me. First, on cold start the first shift from 3rd to 4th feels kinda rough but smooths out after the first time. Mine tends to shift from 1-3-4-5 and on, skips 2nd gear.

Second, under any type of acceleration, I have noticed an rpm drop of 100-200 in 3rd gear between 2000-2500 rpm. It’s more pronounced the harder I accelerate. It’ll accelerate then drop from say 2500 to 2300 and then it’ll climb back up. From what I’ve read, it sounds like it can be the torque converter locking up but I haven’t seen anyone else bring this up.

I’m not too concerned about the shift from 3-4 being rough since it only happens on cold start and it smooths out if I warm up the truck before driving it. But has anyone else noticed the rpm drop in 3rd gear? Just trying to figure out if it’s normal.

I have hooked it up to forscan and didn’t have any DTC’s. Haven’t noticed any other issues regarding rough idle or engine shutter.
My 2021 also do that in 3rd so I think it's normal.

JasonRanger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Any update on your situation? Having the same issue, dealer blew it off the first time I took it in.

OP
OP
Sako887

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Any update on your situation? Having the same issue, dealer blew it off the first time I took it in.
It still does it. I hooked it up to forscan and noticed the rpm drop happens when the torque converter locks up. Had a few people say that there’s does it too. As for the first shift from 3-5 being rough, if I warm up the truck long enough in the morning, it doesn’t do it. I’m thinking it might actually be “normal” for our trucks. Either way, the only thing giving me piece of mind is the extended warranty I got and the fact that it hasn’t been getting worse. 20k miles on it so far with no issues, 2k of which in 4wd off-road utilizing the locker and 4 low.

JasonRanger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
It still does it. I hooked it up to forscan and noticed the rpm drop happens when the torque converter locks up. Had a few people say that there’s does it too. As for the first shift from 3-5 being rough, if I warm up the truck long enough in the morning, it doesn’t do it. I’m thinking it might actually be “normal” for our trucks. Either way, the only thing giving me piece of mind is the extended warranty I got and the fact that it hasn’t been getting worse. 20k miles on it so far with no issues, 2k of which in 4wd off-road utilizing the locker and 4 low.
Bummer okay! It feels like when I go to 2/3 or 3/4 gear it drives like a manual car. It kinda looses power pushes back and then hits into gear and it drives me nuts! (Best I can explain it)
Sponsored