Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
Hello all.

I've never had a vehicle with a hitch. I have the tow package on my XLT 4x4. I want to pick up a ball/hitch combo. I assume because the rear end of the 4x4 sits so high I will need to get a hitch with some "drop" in it?

What configuration do many of you use that you have found to work well for most trailering situations? I don't have my own trailer so I can't measure the tongue height when level and figure everything out that way. I plan to borrow a neighbor's light duty/single axle utility trailer on occasion and just need everything to sit level enough to get me only a few miles down the road. Not sure what the tongue weight will end up being but again it's a light weight rig overall. Hauling a yard or two of mulch.

Thanks!
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hello all.

I've never had a vehicle with a hitch. I have the tow package on my XLT 4x4. I want to pick up a ball/hitch combo. I assume because the rear end of the 4x4 sits so high I will need to get a hitch with some "drop" in it?

What configuration do many of you use that you have found to work well for most trailering situations? I don't have my own trailer so I can't measure the tongue height when level and figure everything out that way. I plan to borrow a neighbor's light duty/single axle utility trailer on occasion and just need everything to sit level enough to get me only a few miles down the road. Not sure what the tongue weight will end up being but again it's a light weight rig overall. Hauling a yard or two of mulch.

Thanks!
Ya gotta measure (the truck and trailer).

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

I had a 2" drop ball mount already, and after hitching my camper to it for a test tow, I noticed that it wasn't enough drop. Did the above measure procedure and learned I needed 4" of drop for my particular trailer, and ordered one.

An adjustable one will save you a bit of hassle and give you a bit of range to work with, but they're notably more expensive. I was temped to buy one (with a little scale so I can check tongue weight quickly/easily), but the cost difference of a fixed 4" mount won out.

Deleted member 1634

A fixed 4" drop ball/arm is what I have as well. It makes my camper sit very slightly nose high when empty. But a 6" drop would be too much. And when I add the weight to the bed and cargo to the front cargo box, it sits pretty level. I do have larger tires and a lift on my trailer which helps with that though. A small utility trailer with tiny tires might not sit as level.

IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg

OP
OP

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
Thanks for the fast replies guys. Looks like a 4" might be the winner for overall towing. By the way I like the Saber color the1mrb. That's what I have! Not many Rangers around here yet in general (SE WI) and even fewer in Saber. When I was shopping for my Ranger the very first one I ever saw on a lot was Saber. I didn't buy that particular truck but had to have Saber when I finally bought one. Really pops in bright sunlight when the metallic shows through.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Thanks for the fast relies guys. Looks like a 4" might be the winner for overall towing. By the way I like the Saber color the1mrb. That's what I have! Not many Rangers around here yet in general (SE WI) and even fewer in Saber. When I was shopping for my Ranger the very first one I ever saw on a lot was Saber. I didn't buy that particular truck but had to have Saber when I finally bought one. Really pops in bright sunlight when the metallic shows through.
Thanks! I went into the dealer with Saber being one of my color choices (I really just wanted anything but the grayscale because that's boring), and in the last minute of trying to find one I was like what the heck, let's live a little and get a standout color. haha There's over a dozen Rangers I've seen here in Duluth (probably more I haven't seen), a couple of which are also Saber. I've since gotten a topper (checkout my profile pic or showcase), which makes it stand out even more! Doesn't quite match the orange shade of the camper, but that only bothers the wife, I couldn't care less. haha

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 6" drop on my Ranger. The trailer I haul is a 6x12 dual axle enclosed trailer. It sits just a little nose up loaded but pulls fine. An 8" drop would be perfect for that trailer.

The same trailer requires a 2" drop on my wifes '13 F-150 to sit level when loaded.

With the 3way (no drop) hitch on the F-150, the trailer sat nose up, the same way as it does now with the Ranger and 6" drop. I know it pulls fine like that...have over 7000 miles on the trailer with the F-150, with over half of that with the 3way hitch.

Welcome to the Saber club. There are only 4 around here, counting mine. It is a beautiful color. I call mine Copperhead.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
As you see each person reports a different drop for different trailers.
I have a 6" drop for our utility trailer, an 8" drop for my RV trailer and a cabinet full of draw bars and tow ball sizes for every contingency.
Ideally the trailer should be level or slightly down attitude at the tongue and the ball should be the right size.
While most couplers use a 2" ball, there are lots of small or utility trailers with 1-7/8" ball.
Fixed drawbars are commonly reversible and there are drawbars which are height adjustable,such as the one pictured below...
https://www.trailerjacks.com/reese-...nish?msclkid=45a4a7677f29156cd8c0f9d338920125.

1588873295455.png

Jimmy637

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
I pull a travel trailer with a load leveler, I had to adjust the set up I had for the new truck. The trailer receiver top when leveled is 19 inches. The Ball mounted on the truck is at 23 inches, on a 8 inch drop. I tried setting it up unloaded and was about a 1 inch high. I hope when all loaded it will level out or I will be looking for a new ball mount.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
On my previous Sierra 2500 a 4" drop was just right for my boat. On my Ranger I have a 7.75" drop and it is just right for the boat. I would suggest you take your Ranger and trailer to a U-Haul dealer and try a couple of different draw bars. Best thing about U-Haul draw bars is that they are high quality and made in the USA (not China).

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Does anyone else find it interesting that so many full-size truck owners report that an additional 2 inches or more drop is required with their ranger to match up to the same trailer? I'll add mine too. My Ranger needs 2+ more drop over what my Ram 1500 needed. Who would have thought!?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I went with an adjustable with 2 balls. That should cover all my needs regardless of what I'm towing.
https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/230.htm
Waited for a sale and got it for $65 if I remember right. Much easier than multiple balls and draw bars.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Same advice as above. I mainly tow my boat/trailer. I want the trailer tongue level. If not level slightly high. Hitch adapters generally come in 1" drop/raise increments. My Cherokee's adapter is close enough, ...but could stand to be 1" lower. A touch high doesn't hurt when launching in skinny water.
Sponsored