hitch questions / recovery w.l.l. possible hot girls...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I am thinking of adding a winch on hitch mount to my gear to bring along for days i go further or deeper than i should. Im not worried about the tow hitch being up to the challenge. My concern is the safety chain loops under the hitch tube. example : I run the winch line out to an anchor / pulling point, snatch block it and from that point return the winch line to the rear of the truck. Normally id just use the hitch for a strong hook point. but, if i use a rear winch on the tow hitch that options off the list. Is it safe to use the chain loops under the hitch for my return pull line??? I have no idea what the WLL is for those. I assume they are stout enough to handle the load in keeping with the hitch rating but that does not make them recovery point strong. I know the frame etc. but id prefer not to risk damage for awkward pulls.
thought about one of those dual hitch adapters that could use winch in the top spot and have the lower open for a bow shackle or something but i dont think those are stout enough. those would sheer and the winch would pull itself free from the adapter.
Sponsored

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I'd be leery of the chain loops.
You don't want to be the guy to find out they weren't up to the task.
All it takes is that one time where the pull was just too much.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I'd be leery of the chain loops.
You don't want to be the guy to find out they weren't up to the task.
All it takes is that one time where the pull was just too much.
thats what im worried about too. they may be ok for keeping the trailer from going out of control into traffic but thats different stress than being winched on at off center lines etc.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Possible hot girls?
Argh! Click Bait!
yes it is ! i found out everyone pays more attention with pretty girls involved. put a pretty girl in front of a bass boat with a for sale sign and rednecks will show up from miles around lol.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
to be more fair - pretty girl picture.
1665696929865.png
and to not add to the objectification of women im using pretty much the only picture that comes up doing a google search of "pretty girl off road" that does not look like a dumb hooker or the college daughter you try to tell your self is actually studying things other than sex drugs and booze lol.

if i dont get good input ill post the normal T/A two brain cell society hoes with the snootch hanging of the winch lines.:crackup:

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
to be more fair - pretty girl picture.
1665696929865.png
and to not add to the objectification of women...:
I think of it as seeing your neighbor has a beautiful flower in the garden. You can't help but notice the beautiful colors. But you aren't going to go over and dig up your neighbor's flowers and go plant them in your own yard.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Why carry a winch at all if you're not going to mount one for real?

Just carry maxtrax, snatch strap, shackles, and a shovel.

I get further than most, and only use my winch maybe once a year. And even in those situations, a shovel and lots of patience would probably work. And if not, the Garmin Inreach definitely will.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I think of it as seeing your neighbor has a beautiful flower in the garden. You can't help but notice the beautiful colors. But you aren't going to go over and dig up your neighbor's flowers and go plant them in your own yard.
thats what i tell my truck when i see a nice mustang or a raptor. im just admiring the beauty...
Why carry a winch at all if you're not going to mount one for real?

Just carry maxtrax, snatch strap, shackles, and a shovel.

I get further than most, and only use my winch maybe once a year. And even in those situations, a shovel and lots of patience would probably work. And if not, the Garmin Inreach definitely will.
i know this is true, i always have a full size shovel and track boards, straps, come alongs etc. my problem is that 99% of the time when im off road i am alone. most of my friends in the area all married with at least two kids the time away from work they get is with the kids at foot ball and band or with the spouse etc. which is awesome for them, I envy them in many cases. So ive never really just HAD to have a winch to get moving again. done my share of shoveling, huffin and puffin but i know if i had a winch - just in case- i would feel more relaxed, have more fun and push things a little more. Currently im over careful off road as no one is around for me to get a pull from. id love to have a full on winch bumper with good recovery points built in but they are pretty expensive. good gear is pay to play, we get what we pay for most times. but a hitch winch would cover me pretty well.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Maybe something like this? You can put the winch where the tow hitch is and then of course the loop.
GEN-Y REBEL

BUT FOR TOW RECOVERY OR WINCH

Would not use this for tugging off of.

20221013_164037.jpg

20221013_164058.jpg

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Maybe something like this? You can put the winch where the tow hitch is and then of course the loop.
GEN-Y REBEL

BUT FOR TOW RECOVERY OR WINCH

Would not use this for tugging off of.

20221013_164037.jpg

20221013_164058.jpg
that is very similar to what i was thinking of! i was thinking putting all the stress back on one spot with the adapter would make whatever the weakest weld or spot was would sheer off.