First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
I love this site & the adult conversations…thanks very much!

Today is my 14-month anniversary with my 2019 XLT FX4; unfortunately, it’s in an auto body shop getting healed (my fault; more to follow). In the meantime, I wanted to share some thoughts on our “relationship”, so far: I’m wondering how similar/dissimilar other’s experiences have been.

Bought it new at Way-Scarff Ford in Auburn, WA; it took a long time to hunt down a 2-door XLT.

Just passed 19,000 miles; I enjoy driving it immensely & do lots of hi-speed/highway travel between Seattle and Montana.

Post-purchase modifications:

I added factory sidesteps, and MBRP’s dual rear exit cat back exhaust. Love the “mildly aggressive” exhaust note, with no drone in the cabin. Noticeable HP & torque increases; definitely worth it for the performance boost. Increased MPG…not so much. For highway cruising, I usually set it at 2,000 RPM +/-; I average @ 22 mpg.

Self-induced Issues:

I’ve already been through one blind spot rear taillight replacement (also my fault-poor trailer backing technique). My “local” Ford dealer wanted $1300. Fortunately, I found one, in stock, at a dealer in Michigan, for $720 and swapped it myself (took 3 minutes). Thankfully, it’s “plug n’ play” with no calibration required; regardless, that much money for a piece of plastic, is absolutely absurd. It’s crazy that replacing a broken plastic taillight lens puts you up past your insurance deductible…

The latest damage: I backed straight through my aural “radar warning tone” & hit a low concrete planter that I didn’t see in the backup camera: $1,500. I did use my insurance for this one.

So, other than having problems backing it up without damaging something, there are a couple things that are annoying-but not my fault….

Overall fit & finish: Big gaps between panels/doors/hood/tailgate etc. It’s not so much the size of the gaps, it’s the “asymmetry” between them that catches the eye.

The cheap plastic latches on the hidden storage compartments: Both of mine broke the FIRST time I (very gingerly) pulled on the straps to open them.

The cheap plastic bed liner: No comment. Time for Rhino.

The Rear Light Issue recall: No comment (sigh).

The Synch screen issue: Mine periodically freezes/goes “blank”, then comes back up after I shut all power off. I never hook it up to Wi-Fi. Very annoying.

My biggest concern: How long will my 2.3L EcoBoost last; it’s just too much fun to not put your foot in it, at least once in a while….

The Real Question: Would I buy another one? A tough one right now. There’s still very few Rangers in my area(!), and my ego still loves the “nice looking truck” comments. I think I’ll wait to see how well “sorted out” the new Bronco is….when it FINALLY gets here!

Thanks for your time,

Tom

8501DC09-4CF1-4BE3-BB88-05DA0DE81A4D.jpeg

E1527860-DCA4-4452-B8C0-A01108B204FC.jpeg

D305A7D6-505E-46D0-B07A-0A610FFBC815.jpeg

B31D36B3-55DC-4D67-B806-9DCDE9F5F52D.jpeg
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Nice write up Tom. I like the looks of the duals exhaust, but I'd better wait on those. My truck is still on order, and I've spent a bunch on a truck I don't even have yet. I need to slow down a bit before the little filly bucks on me. She's been great so far, but I don't wanna push my luck. :)

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Outside of Seattle WA also and I love to put my foot into it every once in a while. My only issues are too small of compartments as I came out of a full size truck and not enough storage space. I keep the start/stop off and I average 22 mpg on WA Costco reg Gas, just about 14 months of ownership also but only have 5K miles on it. Only concerned about battery management system as It is never fully charged up ( 12.3 avg) as I am use to seeing in my other vehicles (12.9 )

OP
OP

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Outside of Seattle WA also and I love to put my foot into it every once in a while. My only issues are too small of compartments as I came out of a full size truck and not enough storage space. I keep the start/stop off and I average 22 mpg on WA Costco reg Gas, just about 14 months of ownership also but only have 5K miles on it. Only concerned about battery management system as It is never fully charged up ( 12.3 avg) as I am use to seeing in my other vehicles (12.9 )
Disabling the auto Start/Stop function is also part of my “Engine Start Checklist”!

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Tom,

I just crossed the 14 month threshold as well - ordered my Ranger through Sunset Ford in Sumner (live in Bonney Lake). I haven't had the issues you mention other than an occasional glitch with the Sync 3 system - audio just decides not to activate. Have noticed it when going from "acc on" to engine start...audio just goes away and comes back at next restart. Sure seems like this Sync 3 is far from being great, let alone perfect.

Other than that, my only "issue" was the engine/transmission having some rough shifts (especially during downshift), which seem to be gone now (about 12K miles). I've seen others mention this and that after 10K, the transmission smoothed out for them as well.

I do the same thing with the start/stop - disable at start-up and I average about 21.5 mpgs. Love the power and have occasionally been known to see a slight increase in velocity...but only when needed, of course ?

OP
OP

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Tom,

I just crossed the 14 month threshold as well - ordered my Ranger through Sunset Ford in Sumner (live in Bonney Lake). I haven't had the issues you mention other than an occasional glitch with the Sync 3 system - audio just decides not to activate. Have noticed it when going from "acc on" to engine start...audio just goes away and comes back at next restart. Sure seems like this Sync 3 is far from being great, let alone perfect.

Other than that, my only "issue" was the engine/transmission having some rough shifts (especially during downshift), which seem to be gone now (about 12K miles). I've seen others mention this and that after 10K, the transmission smoothed out for them as well.

I do the same thing with the start/stop - disable at start-up and I average about 21.5 mpgs. Love the power and have occasionally been known to see a slight increase in velocity...but only when needed, of course ?
(Don’t worry; I won’t tell!)

OP
OP

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Update on the latest backup ‘ding’ repair: Went from $1500 estimated, to $3400. Shop can’t get in between double-wall box to effect repairs. Old School Solution: Cut entire exterior panel off & graft on a new ‘skin’. A whole new p/u box would’ve almost been cheaper (except for the prep & painting cost).

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
For those of you with Sync issues. I am not sure if you use the FORD app or not but you might consider updating it if you have not already to take care of some of the issues. If you dont use the Ford app (and connect your phone)and don't connect to Wifi its probably not receiving automatic updates.

flyryguy5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Disabling the auto Start/Stop function is also part of my “Engine Start Checklist”!
I've got a (temporary) solution to disabling Auto Start Stop, got it from a fellow Ranger owner on Youtube... disconnect the little black 2-wire connector going to the negative terminal on your battery. It doesn't have any function, except when you unplug it, it doesn't allow Auto SS to engage. He did it with success on a 2019 Lariat, and I've gone a couple weeks on my Lariat, no issues, just glad to not deal with Auto SS. I'm going to install a little inline switch so I can keep it connected but disengage it the right way. Also lets the next owner engage it if they so choose. Hope that helps and saves you $100 for the Auto SS Disable dongle!

OP
OP

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Howdy Folks,

I wanted to print, what is hopefully, the final chapter of my pickup box repair saga. When we last ‘spoke’, the estimate had gone from $1500 to $3400. Due to unforeseen difficulties in repairing a double-wall box, they opted to graft on a new skin.....then it got interesting.

(Note: I’m a retired USAF pilot, so you can probably guess who my insurance company is: I’ve always had good service from them. The repair shop I used was the local outlet of a nation chain.)

When I went to pick the truck up, the “final” repair bill was north of $5,000. That’s Five Thousand Dollars. (See earlier damage pictures for enhanced shock value.) Not only was the final bill over $5000, but during the “repair process”, they had sent my insurance co updates/adjustments that put it at over $6000.....(without informing me), then apparently changed their minds.

Why: During the repairs, they ended up accidentally breaking several items on the truck..that weren’t damaged when I turned it in. They then billed my insurance company full retail price to replace them. Among those pieces...
ANOTHER right rear blind spot taillight (that I just replaced for $700-ish), that they had ‘chipped during removal’, for....$1,370! Plus other ‘trim’ pieces they apparently couldn’t remove without breaking, and the ‘Coop dee Gracie’...a WINDSHIELD trim piece for @$80.00. How they could break a ‘windshield trim piece’ while working on the back of the truck is beyond me.

The idea that I/my insurance company should pay for stuff they break while the truck was in their care is beyond my ability to comprehend. After several animated discussions with my insurance agent, they agreed, and are/were “looking into it.”

Last edited:

BlueBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
This is the business model of insurance companies. They don't argue with the provider, just pay out, then find ever more ingenious ways of getting it back from the payer. This is one reason why healthcare is so expensive in the US. Of course, they'll "look into it" but they'll probably just pay the bill. Of course providers know this and find their own creative ways of jacking up the bill. Sounds like they got real creative in your case.

I lived in one state during the transition from optional vehicle insurance to mandatory. It was shocking, shocking I tell ya, just how much and how fast body shop prices rose.

Sammyboy808

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
Nice write up Tom. I like the looks of the duals exhaust, but I'd better wait on those. My truck is still on order, and I've spent a bunch on a truck I don't even have yet. I need to slow down a bit before the little filly bucks on me. She's been great so far, but I don't wanna push my luck. :)
Which dual did you go with? How do they sound?

Sammyboy808

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
Howdy Folks,

I wanted to print, what is hopefully, the final chapter of my pickup box repair saga. When we last ‘spoke’, the estimate had gone from $1500 to $3400. Due to unforeseen difficulties in repairing a double-wall box, they opted to graft on a new skin.....then it got interesting.

(Note: I’m a retired USAF pilot, so you can probably guess who my insurance company is: I’ve always had good service from them. The repair shop I used was the local outlet of a nation chain.)

When I went to pick the truck up, the “final” repair bill was north of $5,000. That’s Five Thousand Dollars. (See earlier damage pictures for enhanced shock value.) Not only was the final bill over $5000, but during the “repair process”, they had sent my insurance co updates/adjustments that put it at over $6000.....(without informing me), then apparently changed their minds.

Why: During the repairs, they ended up accidentally breaking several items on the truck..that weren’t damaged when I turned it in. They then billed my insurance company full retail price to replace them. Among those pieces...
ANOTHER right rear blind spot taillight (that I just replaced for $700-ish), that they had ‘chipped during removal’, for....$1,370! Plus other ‘trim’ pieces they apparently couldn’t remove without breaking, and the ‘Coop dee Gracie’...a WINDSHIELD trim piece for @$80.00. How they could break a ‘windshield trim piece’ while working on the back of the truck is beyond me.

The idea that I/my insurance company should pay for stuff they break while the truck was in their care is beyond my ability to comprehend. After several animated discussions with my insurance agent, they agreed, and are/were “looking into it.”
Don't forget to get the Bureau of Automative repair involved. They are a good unbiased third party with their own inspectors. They should see the pictures you had of initial damage, and the receipts of what you already bought, then determine what the repair shop should have touched / charged for. Whatever they determine wasn't done correctly, more often than not, the repair shop will pay you back for. Otherwise you take the repair shop to civil court, and your almost surely to win with a BAR report and determination.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I've got a (temporary) solution to disabling Auto Start Stop, got it from a fellow Ranger owner on Youtube... disconnect the little black 2-wire connector going to the negative terminal on your battery. It doesn't have any function, except when you unplug it, it doesn't allow Auto SS to engage. He did it with success on a 2019 Lariat, and I've gone a couple weeks on my Lariat, no issues, just glad to not deal with Auto SS. I'm going to install a little inline switch so I can keep it connected but disengage it the right way. Also lets the next owner engage it if they so choose. Hope that helps and saves you $100 for the Auto SS Disable dongle!
I did the same thing months ago and have been happy not having to deal with ASS anymore. One thing to be mindful of doing this. You have also eliminated the battery management system disconnecting it this way. I’m ok with that but others may not be.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Which dual did you go with? How do they sound?
Sam, I've decided to stick with the stock exhaust for now. I just ordered a Bronco, and don't want to push my luck with the CFO of my humble empire. She's great with my foolishness, but after 43 years I know where her rev limiter is set. :)

Buuuuut, if I was it would be the MBRP duals #S5223AL. Not that I've looked though.........:giggle:
Sponsored