First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
construction
I just put a rough country 2.5" level on the front of my 2021 ranger lariat and love the look. From may until October I tow my bass boat once or twice a month when its out of water and will most likely be adding airbags once fishing season starts here in may. I wouldn't mind adding a set of rear shocks as well to go with the set up. I do zero off roading and basically only drive pavement roads. I was looking at the fox 2.0 rears with the idea of possibly swapping the fronts down the road. Is upgrading the rear shocks a waste of money? or will I see a better ride driving around town empty and towing?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just put a rough country 2.5" level on the front of my 2021 ranger lariat and love the look. From may until October I tow my bass boat once or twice a month when its out of water and will most likely be adding airbags once fishing season starts here in may. I wouldn't mind adding a set of rear shocks as well to go with the set up. I do zero off roading and basically only drive pavement roads. I was looking at the fox 2.0 rears with the idea of possibly swapping the fronts down the road. Is upgrading the rear shocks a waste of money? or will I see a better ride driving around town empty and towing?
The rears will make a big difference over the stock shocks. It'll take any bouncing/wallowing away especially over bumpy roads. Probably the best money spent to improve the ride especially if it has the Fx4 suspension on it.

OP
OP

magdraft

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
construction
The rears will make a big difference over the stock shocks. It'll take any bouncing/wallowing away especially over bumpy roads. Probably the best money spent to improve the ride especially if it has the Fx4 suspension on it.
its just a standard 4x4 not the fx4.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark,

Tow testing, development and ratings were done with OEM shocks on all 4 wheels. So you are certainly free to Mod your shocks but only if you are compelled to do so for some reason.

A bit of a back story in that when trailer tow ratings are signed off for production, there is a thorough drive evaluation done with a mix of executives and "grunts". It is not just a rating as Towing confidence is also assessed. So play the shock dance if you wish...it is your vehicle, but towing with OEM should be fine unless your calibrated A$$ometer says differently.

Best,
Phil

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Hi Mark,

Tow testing, development and ratings were done with OEM shocks on all 4 wheels. So you are certainly free to Mod your shocks but only if you are compelled to do so for some reason.

A bit of a back story in that when trailer tow ratings are signed off for production, there is a thorough drive evaluation done with a mix of executives and "grunts". It is not just a rating as Towing confidence is also assessed. So play the shock dance if you wish...it is your vehicle, but towing with OEM should be fine unless your calibrated A$$ometer says differently.

Best,
Phil
My A$$ometer always says Bilstein. Has for a long time. I just light tighter valving but I know what I am giving up. Body control is greater than comfort to me. Some people just need to know it will be a firmer ride. Really cant have your cake and eat it to in these moments.
Sponsored