OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Some background, I have owned multiple vehicles over the years, several supercharged, several with turbos and several N.A. With modern vehicles to extract the most performance and drivability you pretty much have to tune them. I'm one of those that just can't leave a vehicle stock, whether it be a motorcycle or a car, unless it's my wife's.
I traded a 2010 Raptor with a Roush charger in on the Ranger and I new that I would be giving up a lot of torque and power. I was just tired of driving a large truck and I really enjoyed driving the Ranger on my test ride. So before committing to purchasing the Ranger I researched and found that the 2.3L Ecoboost responds well to tuning. Once purchasing I further researched who was producing tunes for the Ranger and who had a good reputation/following. This led me to Unleashed Tuning/Torrie. I Purchased the SCT BDX unit from Unleashed and when received provide the necessary info to Torrie and in no time he sent me all the tunes I requested. Initially shifting was a little off and I contacted Torrie and he promptly tweaked it and sent the revised tune. The whole process really is fast compared to ten years ago.
With larger wheels and tires the extra un-sprung weight really takes a lot of HP/TQ to get the truck rolling compared to stock, another reason to get a tune. The 91 octane performance tune from Torrie is awesome! I love the extra torque down low and how the skip shifting is still there under light throttle but when you intend to accelerate quickly it shifts directly to second and then sequentially. Also the truck doesn't shutter like it did before when it skip shifted directly to third. The shifting in all gears is so much smoother.
With larger tires and the OEM tune, it was hard to maintain speed when cruising. Particularly if going up and down hills. Now with the extra torque and the trans shifting later in the rpm range, the truck maintains speed up and down hills with a lot less modulation of the throttle. But what is more important than the extra HP/TQ is the drivability. Like I said I have experienced a lot of tunes and it is hard to find a tuner that spends time on drivability as well as increasing performance. Torrie, obviously has spent some time in a Ranger and his tune reflects this.
I can't emphasize the importance of good drivability with added performance, it just makes driving the vehicle that much more fun to drive.
I highly recommend Unleashed Tuning/Torrie, he provides a quality tune and his customer service is far above anyone i have dealt with in the past. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Some background, I have owned multiple vehicles over the years, several supercharged, several with turbos and several N.A. With modern vehicles to extract the most performance and drivability you pretty much have to tune them. I'm one of those that just can't leave a vehicle stock, whether it be a motorcycle or a car, unless it's my wife's.
I traded a 2010 Raptor with a Roush charger in on the Ranger and I new that I would be giving up a lot of torque and power. I was just tired of driving a large truck and I really enjoyed driving the Ranger on my test ride. So before committing to purchasing the Ranger I researched and found that the 2.3L Ecoboost responds well to tuning. Once purchasing I further researched who was producing tunes for the Ranger and who had a good reputation/following. This led me to Unleashed Tuning/Torrie. I Purchased the SCT BDX unit from Unleashed and when received provide the necessary info to Torrie and in no time he sent me all the tunes I requested. Initially shifting was a little off and I contacted Torrie and he promptly tweaked it and sent the revised tune. The whole process really is fast compared to ten years ago.
With larger wheels and tires the extra un-sprung weight really takes a lot of HP/TQ to get the truck rolling compared to stock, another reason to get a tune. The 91 octane performance tune from Torrie is awesome! I love the extra torque down low and how the skip shifting is still there under light throttle but when you intend to accelerate quickly it shifts directly to second and then sequentially. Also the truck doesn't shutter like it die before when it skip shifted directly to third. The shifting in all gears is so much smoother.
With larger tires and the OEM tune, it was hard to maintain speed when cruising. Particularly if going up and down hills. Now with the extra torque and the trans shifting later in the rpm range, the truck maintains speed up and down hills with a lot less modulation of the throttle. But what is more important than the extra HP/TQ is the drivability. Like I said I have experienced a lot of tunes and it is hard to find a tuner that spends time on drivability as well as increasing performance. Torrie, obviously has spent some time in a Ranger and his tune reflects this.
I can't emphasize the importance of good drivability with added performance, it just makes the driving the vehicle that much more fun to drive.
I highly recommend Unleashed Tuning/Torrie, he provides a quality tune and his customer service is far above anyone i have dealt with in the past. :like:
My truck was the R+D ranger that Unleashed used . I put 1000 miles on it, changed the oil and delivered it to Torrie. He kept it for a week and Dyno’d it in Orange Park...93 octane tune and I couldn’t be Happier...
Regards
Note: HP reading is not quite accurate (lower) because it was 110 degrees in the dyno room. Heat affects the HP reading....

77430543-02E5-440B-AC0B-C07C8E4FB102.jpeg

Last edited:

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
What size tires are you running? I'm debating 31.6 diameter tires, but hesitant about the power loss on the stock tune.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
What size tires are you running? I'm debating 31.6 diameter tires, but hesitant about the power loss on the stock tune.
Stock 16” Steelies appx 30”
Regards

Last edited:
OP
OP
OKRaptor

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running 33", with the stock tune the tires do make a difference but the Ranger still makes good power. With the tune it's just beyond the stock tune with the larger tires. The tune gives you more HP/TQ, but whats most important is how it is applied and how the shifting strategy is modified to work with it. It completely changes the drivability of the truck, much better than stock.

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
With larger wheels and tires the extra un-sprung weight really takes a lot of HP/TQ to get the truck rolling compared to stock, another reason to get a tune. The 91 octane performance tune from Torrie is awesome! I love the extra torque down low and how the skip shifting is still there under light throttle but when you intend to accelerate quickly it shifts directly to second and then sequentially. Also the truck doesn't shutter like it did before when it skip shifted directly to third. The shifting in all gears is so much smoother.
I can't emphasize the importance of good drivability with added performance, it just makes driving the vehicle that much more fun to drive.
I have to agree. I have been running a tune that Torrie has done from Unleashed Tuning. He is great to work with, makes updates that are needed and is prompt at doing them. Thanks Doc for putting me onto getting a tune from Unleashed Tuning. This tune is Great!

Knockdown

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab
Just loaded the 93 tune today, the effort that has gone into this tune is outstanding. Truck drives super nice now. ?

GrumpyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
My truck was the R+D ranger that Unleashed used . I put 1000 miles on it, changed the oil and delivered it to Torrie. He kept it for a week and Dyno’d it in Orange Park...93 octane tune and I couldn’t be Happier...
Regards
Note: HP reading is not quite accurate (lower) because it was 110 degrees in the dyno room. Heat affects the HP reading....

77430543-02E5-440B-AC0B-C07C8E4FB102.jpeg
Orange park??? What state?