Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's because I'm an engineer, but I like the ones with facts and stats. The statement "... the only truck that can handle any terrain with ease..." in that commercial is subjective and arguably false. And that's the problem, facts and numbers can't be argued. Don't give me opinions and experiences, give me facts and numbers. That is one of the main reasons I hate the Chevy commercials. It's all "these people thought it was good so you should too".

I'm a big fan of the latest Ford commercials (not necessarily the Ranger, though that is included) I've been seeing where it's just an engineer spouting off figures and facts and numbers. The vehicle has this much horsepower, can tow this much, and can be equipped with this option to help with this. Boom, done.
Hi Matt,

Agree with you, but since I have not watched TV for over 35 years now..I do not see much in the way of commercials...only when walking by the TV when wife is watching and I rarely pause to look... My TV viewing is usually only the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500 each year and I find it hard to sit through these shows anyway.

Problem is facts are bland and most people cannot really relate...I get this all the time "You engineers talk funny". I do get the question..do engineers wear white coats? I never wore one at Ford unless my suit or later golf shirts (We went business casual late in my career) might get dirty...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Hi Matt,

Agree with you, but since I have not watched TV for over 35 years now..I do not see much in the way of commercials...only when walking by the TV when wife is watching and I rarely pause to look... My TV viewing is usually only the Daytona 500 and the Indy 500 each year and I find it hard to sit through these shows anyway.

Problem is facts are bland and most people cannot really relate...I get this all the time "You engineers talk funny". I do get the question..do engineers wear white coats? I never wore one at Ford unless my suit or later golf shirts (We went business casual late in my career) might get dirty...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah, the problem (in my mind, and yours probably) is that most people don't appreciate facts. They make decisions based on feelings and opinions, not facts and figures. This is the number one reason I can't be in any sort of sales or marketing position. Well, that and I can't stand people. haha

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's just like people complaining that there aren't enough incentive offers--why would it make sense for Ford to spend more money (lowering profits) if they're already hitting their sales targets? If you're only planning to make a certain number of trucks, and you're selling them all, then it just doesn't make sense to spend more money on selling them. I suspect they don't even want to ramp things up until after the bronco launch and the next ranger.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
To me, it's kind of like the old question about which came first, the chicken or the egg. I wonder if a lot of people are like me. When I first started looking for a new truck, the Ranger wasn't even considered, and I'm a Ford fan. If I had forgotten about them, how many people aren't even aware they exist? There certainly aren't many on the road (around here, anyway) to keep them on peoples' minds.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
To me, it's kind of like the old question about which came first, the chicken or the egg. I wonder if a lot of people are like me. When I first started looking for a new truck, the Ranger wasn't even considered, and I'm a Ford fan. If I had forgotten about them, how many people aren't even aware they exist? There certainly aren't many on the road (around here, anyway) to keep them on peoples' minds.
Yeah, that's the argument. But Ford seems to be selling the ranger anyway, and obviously isn't worried about it to the point that they want to spend money on ads. It's easy enough for the internet to say that ford should do this or ford should do that, but at the end of the day it comes down to someone making a call on whether spending ten million dollars (or whatever) on an ad campaign is going to result in a higher profit than not spending that money.

As far as seeing vehicles, there are at least two gladiators in my neighborhood and only my ranger. But that doesn't mean the gladiator is selling twice as well as the ranger overall--gladiator sales have not been great, even though FCA has been pushing heavier incentives. The view from any one spot isn't the same as it is at the top.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't watch TV either but I'm surprise that all the reviews are over a year old...been searching for adventure vlogs of Ranger off roading or overlanding and no luck there either...:crazy:
I know this one is older and you have probably already stumbled across it.

TheRangerStation.com
Sponsored