First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 SuperCrew Cab with the short box.
Can anyone suggest a brand of box cap (available in Ontario Canada) that has a good fit and does not go any higher than the truck roof?
I park in a condo and can't go any taller than the truck cab.
Units I an seeing online are starting around $2400 CAD but I don't know what is a good brand. Never had a cap before.
Also anything I should be watching out for?
Sponsored

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I have a 2020 SuperCrew Cab with the short box.
Can anyone suggest a brand of box cap (available in Ontario Canada) that has a good fit and does not go any higher than the truck roof?
I park in a condo and can't go any taller than the truck cab.
Units I an seeing online are starting around $2400 CAD but I don't know what is a good brand. Never had a cap before.
Also anything I should be watching out for?
Dukecanbuildit purchased one from Action Trucks in Ontario. I believed he said it was like an ARE one that they sell as their own. He really liked it.

OP
OP
HAMMERTIME

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Dukecanbuildit purchased one from Action Trucks in Ontario. I believed he said it was like an ARE one that they sell as their own. He really liked it.
Sounds good. I have a quote from them at $2430 + tax.

Okanagan Winemaker

$1690 for the Range Rider plus tax. It was cool picking it up at
the factory. RR has nailed the mould for this box.

OP
OP
HAMMERTIME

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
$1690 for the Range Rider plus tax. It was cool picking it up at
the factory. RR has nailed the mould for this box.
Could you measure the height at the back of the cap in the centre of the bumper? Our Rangers sit high at the back and that may make the cap to high for me.

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
You could check this thread full of toppers/caps/campers/shells/whatever you want to call them. haha
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/topper-shell.1212/

In my experience they're all pretty much the same as far as quality, options, and pricing. Some people get good quality items, some people get iffy quality items (like myself), but it doesn't seem to be related to brand. Some people get a good price, others don't, seems more related to dealer/shop/location than brand.

Mine's a Leer 100XR: cab height, electronic locking. It's fine, gets the job done. Build and install quality was an issue, but like I said, it gets the job done.

IMG_20201023_110109768_HDR.jpg
I'm considering the Leer 100XR, can you please expand on the build and install quality issues?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. I have a quote from them at $2430 + tax.
Welcome to lockdown. ? I hope you're staying safe in The Hammer. As @Swingpure mentioned, I ordered mine from Action Truck - it's the ARE with Action's decals (quickly removed). I have the base model without carpeted interior (it's a working truck). Fit, contours, paint match, tailgate coverage are all good - I'm happy with it.

I'm levelled and lifted with 32s, so measurements won't help you out. It's also a scab, so roof line might be different, making the topper different.

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
A handful of scratches, both inside and out, both on the fiberglass and on the window glass.
Some of the rivets around the windows are pulled too tight and denting the metal window rings in some places.
Clean on the outside, but definitely still quite dirty and dusty from transport on the inside.
The front window can be removed to be cleaned (I got that option), but it fits so snug in certain areas that it takes a lot of force and prying to remove it.
Even the Leer logo stickers were put on crooked.

To be clear, none of the build and install quality issues have affected the function of the topper, only the aesthetics. I haven't had any water or dust leaks from the fitment or rivet issues.

Do I think it's worth what I paid for it? Not really given what I got. Especially since it's just blown fiberglass and some single pane windows. But it is what it is. Not much other choice.
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
HAMMERTIME

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've been talking with Hawk out of Brantford. They make their own caps and I'm told they are good. Run about the same as Action @ $2450 + tax. They have one coming in for a Ranger and are going to send measurements and pics when they install it.