First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Thanks for your service John. I lived a couple of miles from the cornfield cruiser .Its still there.
Sponsored

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
I didn't realize Radar Detectors were still a thing.
I know very few people who have them. Most people depend on Waze or similar apps now. But, the number of assholes I know that click "not there" on reported sightings of police officers are inversely proportional to the number running detectors. Running both helps.

I'm running the R7. It lets me know well in advance the direction, type of signal, and strength of signal. Fortunately, lidar is very few and far between here, as well. Laser jammers are illegal in SC, but legal where I spend a lot of time in GA. I may just go ahead and get one. It doesn't prevent them from reading, just makes it take a little bit longer, so you can slow down.

Someone mentioned standby-transmit-standby.... nobody really runs pop here, any more. And, when you read the car a mile ahead of me, you alerted me to your presence anyway.

Having said all that... I usually keep it to 10 over, but may be inattentive to actual speed sometimes, so having one works to remind me to double check. Additionally, right now I have a Progressive snapshot in, so I'm driving like a grandma (that can see and takes her dementia meds as directed).

Last edited:

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for your service John. I lived a couple of miles from the cornfield cruiser .Its still there.
Never earned a DD214 but I have enjoyed working with many fine young women and men serving our country.

im originally from Camden NJ, then to the Mt Holly area then to Maine in 93 with no plans to return to the peoples republic of nj

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
Having one saved my hide a bunch of times in my early 20's, paid for itself really after 9 years, but now I just drive like a grandpa and don't stress about it. If I must; 5mph over the speed limit, or following the traffic pace, won't get me pulled over neither.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Having one saved my hide a bunch of times in my early 20's, paid for itself really after 9 years, but now I just drive like a grandpa and don't stress about it. If I must; 5mph over the speed limit, or following the traffic pace, won't get me pulled over neither.
Radar detectors were born out of the Jimmy Carter National Speed limit of 55mph...Okay Ozzie...

I find them not required in today's speed limits except in Absurd Kalifornia where they limit Trucks and RVs towing cars to 55 mph....So I no longer travel to Kalifornia as I refused to leave one thin dime in this state.

Best,
Phil

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I second having a good dash cam. My Thinkware 1000 records front and rear in 4k plus warns of traffic cameras. This alone justifies the price, its saved me many times from traffic camera tickets in Northern Virginia/DC.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had a dollar for every ticket I've written to people with radar detectors! Good luck, but knowledgeable cops laugh at radar detectors!
Same here, although I've owned one in the past that came with the used. vehicle.

I also had a vascar, wrote a ticket to a gal from IL going 30 over. She was perplexed how she got caught and said "but I didn't detect you" as she pointed to her radar detector. I had to explain Vascar principles. also had a guy in a high dollar Mercedes who beat the heck out of his radar detector and ripped it down and tossed it into the back seat while I wrote his ticket..I said why did you destroy your radar detector? He said "because it never went off"! I said well that's because I never turned my radar on...I used Vascar, he was out $300 for the busted detector ?

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Never earned a DD214 but I have enjoyed working with many fine young women and men serving our country.

im originally from Camden NJ, then to the Mt Holly area then to Maine in 93 with no plans to return to the peoples republic of nj
LOL. Im from Burlington right up the road. I agree, I made my fortune and retired at 51 and moved out only to return once in awhile for some good Italian food.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
LOL. Im from Burlington right up the road. I agree, I made my fortune and retired at 51 and moved out only to return once in awhile for some good Italian food.
LOVE IT and congrats on being able to retire at 51.

about the only thing I miss from NJ is the white corn, tomatoes, tastykakes, Yuenling Black and Tan and a decent cheese steak.

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Radar detectors... pshhht... LOL. I had not thought of those in decades.

I am a 5-10 over kinda guy. Where I am, school zones and neighborhoods aside, you can safely do 5-10 over without being pulled over. Never really need to go faster than that. Besides, why the hell would I be in such a hurry to get to work! LOL

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
We working speed enforcement one day using the helicopter. Driver was 15 kinds of pissed about the ticket. Claimed his detector didn't go off. I explain it wouldn't because we were using aircraft. Then accuses me of lying and pulling him over for no reason. Knowing our pilot was slightly more than crazy, I call him on the radio while next to the driver. Explain to the pilot that the driver doesn't believe we checked his speed with aircraft. Pilot then flys over and puts the helicopter in a hover about 50 feet above and just in front of his car. Pilot waves, gives a big shi t eating grin, and flys off. Never heard another word from the driver or his ticket.?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have had a radar detector in every vehicle and on every motorcycle I have owned since 1975 when I got my first one. I feel they are a small price to pay considering the cost of a ticket in Massachusetts. A ticket is $50 up to 10 over then it is an additional $10 for each mph over 10. A first offense gets you a $150 surcharge on your insurance that drops to $100 the second year and $50 on the third year, no surcharge after that. You also get whacked with 4 lost good driver points which adds about $200 to your insurance and it takes 6 years with a clean record to get back to the best discount.

One ticket can easily cost you $1200 to $1500 and it will be even more if you have multiple tickets.

I am typically a 5 to 10 over driver and you are pretty safe there. I am not concerned on the hiway since I use cruise control and the speed limits don't change often. It's is on the local secondary roads where you can be cruising along at 45 in a 40 zone and all of a sudden the limit drops to 25 or 30 now you are 15 to 20 over. That is where you see the speed traps and when a radar detector can save your skin.
Sponsored