Questions about Ford Performance Tune

Phlfwd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Hello all!
New (or about to be) to the Ranger family. Getting my ordered 21’ Ranger in under a month.
Had questions about the Ford Performance Tune.
First - does it effect mpg at all? It sounds like something I want to do pretty quickly with the truck but wasn’t sure if it negatively or positively effected mpg. I know you have to use 93 octane which I’m fine with (18 gallon tank isn’t too much difference in cost).
Secondly - I’ve read varying things about the warranty. Correct me if I’m wrong, but factory warranty is 3yr/36k basic and 5yr/60k power train. Do either of these get effected, decreased or increased with the Ford performance tune? I’ve read about the livernois tune as well but feel more comfortable sticking with Ford and keeping the factory warranty.
Thanks! Can’t wait to finally get this truck (coming from a Chevy Colorado that was totaled so looking forward to something new)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Phlfwd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Oh also… been reading that it isn’t compatible with towing? Is that actually true?

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Supervisor
Per the Ford Performance website - Comes with Ford Performance 3yr/36k mile warranty from new vehicle in-service when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician.

I too am curious what impact the tune has on mileage.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
There was some talk here that Ford was working on the "not compatible with towing" thing. Hopefully soeone with more knowledge than me (which really ain't hard) will comes along, and helps. Congratulations on the new (in bound) Ranger.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
…..First - does it effect mpg at all? It sounds like something I want to do pretty quickly with the truck but wasn’t sure if it negatively or positively effected mpg. I know you have to use 93 octane which I’m fine with (18 gallon tank isn’t too much difference in cost)……
Depends on your definition of “isn’t too much”

In Vegas it will cost you at least $8.16 more per fill up to step up to 93 octane (used 17 gallons for calc). Makes for $73.95 per fill up.

Maybe your fuel cost is not this high today in your area (yet). But it could be in your future. Might consider it since your even talking about MPG.

8640C18D-C851-4A2E-B2B6-44A33F96955E.png

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
There is no issue with towing. My mileage went up about 1 mpg.
1629031841273.jpeg

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I did not see any MPG change, but it REALLY helped the confused trans shifting.

I did notice the power and torque improvements.

I did the Ford tune just from the warranty aspect, other tunes are supposed to make more power.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
have had the rune for about 6700 miles I'm getting the Sticker MPG with my ford tune which is 20 City / 24 highway 22 Mixed with the auto stop disabled, running the stock paper air filter. cant complain since I have never achieved the rated MPG on any vehicle I've had.

OP
OP

Phlfwd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Depends on your definition of “isn’t too much”

In Vegas it will cost you at least $8.16 more per fill up to step up to 93 octane (used 17 gallons for calc). Makes for $73.95 per fill up.

Maybe your fuel cost is not this high today in your area (yet). But it could be in your future. Might consider it since your even talking about MPG.

8640C18D-C851-4A2E-B2B6-44A33F96955E.png
That’s about the same for where I am. What I meant was it’s only a 50-75 cent difference per gallon between 87 and 93, so with an 18 gallon tank it’s about $9-13 more per tank. Which doesn’t sound bad if you’re getting more miles out of it.

Mathguy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab Lariat FX4 Oxford White
Occupation
Retired Math Teacher
What if I want to re-install the tune? That is, can I put it back to stock, re-install the tune in order to have it re-adapt to my driving style? After removing my 900 pound camper, it doesn't drive/shift as well as before.
Sponsored