Question About Rear Locker and Overall Performance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT 2wd, 1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 4x4
Hello everyone! New to the forum and cross comparing my new truck purchase, after test driving the tacoma I am down to the ranger vs f150 and trying to learn a few things about the ranger that the dealer wont know.

First Question- anyone know if the rear locker disengages at a certain speed like on the 150? Cant seem to find any info on this

Second Question- Are these trucks powerful enough to have a little fun with? (I.e can they slide around in a dry farm field no problem or would it need to be on slippery ground?) I havent driven it yet but wont exactly be able to test the power to its full extent on the test drive, the taco was anemic and my dads 5.0, which is my other option, definitely is capable of some off road fun. (my current f150 and my old land rover are certainly not capable of this, so looking for something with a little more go)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

The locker does disengage above a certain speed (10-15mph I think). It's in the manual I believe.

The Ranger has more than enough power. I know some people who chirp the tires through 4th gear on dry pavement in Sport mode. So it's definitely got enough power to have fun with.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The locker does disengage above a certain speed (10-15mph I think). It's in the manual I believe.

The Ranger has more than enough power. I know some people who chirp the tires through 4th gear on dry pavement in Sport mode. So it's definitely got enough power to have fun with.
Thank you very much, sucks that it disengages even slower than the f150 (which is 25mph) that seems awfully slow to be able to be a bit of a goon around the farm.

And thats generally what ive been hearing is that the power is pretty good. I dont expect it to race like a supercharged V8, but I enjoy having a bit of fun every now and then.

Did you have a 150 before or have you always been a midsize? curious what your overall thoughts are

Deleted member 1634

Thank you very much, sucks that it disengages even slower than the f150 (which is 25mph) that seems awfully slow to be able to be a bit of a goon around the farm.

And thats generally what ive been hearing is that the power is pretty good. I dont expect it to race like a supercharged V8, but I enjoy having a bit of fun every now and then.

Did you have a 150 before or have you always been a midsize? curious what your overall thoughts are
It might be as high as 25mph. I'm not sure exactly, I just know that it does disengage.

This is actually my first midsize truck, first truck of any kind actually. Started with a Focus during college, then a Subaru Crosstrek for the last 5 years, now the Ranger. My dad and 2 uncle's have F-150s right now, and my grandpa has had plenty in the past. We're a Ford family. haha Overall I'm very happy with the Ranger. I drive pretty conservatively and "boring" so power isn't that important to me. But it's got way more than I'll ever need.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might be as high as 25mph. I'm not sure exactly, I just know that it does disengage.

This is actually my first midsize truck, first truck of any kind actually. Started with a Focus during college, then a Subaru Crosstrek for the last 5 years, now the Ranger. My dad and 2 uncle's have F-150s right now, and my grandpa has had plenty in the past. We're a Ford family. haha Overall I'm very happy with the Ranger. I drive pretty conservatively and "boring" so power isn't that important to me. But it's got way more than I'll ever need.
Lol well thanks for your help regardless. Im not sure how I will like switching to the smaller truck, but the price is just so much better than the f150 option for option, plus im moving into the city for school so parking will certainly be an issue with the f150 compared to the ranger

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
The Ranger isn't too small. I came from a old '96 Ranger to a '05 F150 to '01 Super Duty, and back to the Ranger. It's definitely smaller then the F-series, but it depends on your needs.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ranger isn't too small. I came from a old '96 Ranger to a '05 F150 to '01 Super Duty, and back to the Ranger. It's definitely smaller then the F-series, but it depends on your needs.
Ive seen it in person and seems like the right size for me. My buddy had an old ranger and it was way too small. Thing is that I cant predict the future of where ill be at in a few years with my school, so it makes it hard to decide which truck is more sensible. I wouldnt want to keep one of these turbo rangers for more than 5 or 6 years, while a v8 f150 id keep for 8 or so at least. ranger has all the right tech and features for city driving and convenience and is a lot cheaper than the 150. It also might allow me to sell my project land rover and just use it as an offroad toy if I lift it a bit. tough decisions, but either way I think ill be getting a sweet truck!

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
It will definitely squeal tires even in the D mode.

Reactions: Doc

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Holly bajeasus, just looked @this thread. Talk about resurrection of the dead thread....bawaaaaa

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Ive seen it in person and seems like the right size for me. My buddy had an old ranger and it was way too small. Thing is that I cant predict the future of where ill be at in a few years with my school, so it makes it hard to decide which truck is more sensible. I wouldnt want to keep one of these turbo rangers for more than 5 or 6 years, while a v8 f150 id keep for 8 or so at least. ranger has all the right tech and features for city driving and convenience and is a lot cheaper than the 150. It also might allow me to sell my project land rover and just use it as an offroad toy if I lift it a bit. tough decisions, but either way I think ill be getting a sweet truck!
Well, did you get one and did you have fun with it?
Sponsored