Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Had an interesting experience with my 2019 Ranger. I was on my way home when I figured out the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking system works much better than I ever imagined. I was cruising along at about 48 MPH and a I saw an almost flat Mylar balloon on the road ahead and didn't really give it a second thought as it was just barely able to float. The balloon was kicked up just enough by the car in front of me to cause the balloon to be in front of me about 30-40 feet away when my Ranger went into a re-Collision Alert and tried to completely stop me before hitting an innocent Mylar balloon. Any one else ever experienced this or something similar?
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Cool. When I bought my Ranger the stuff wasn't turned on. I finally figured out how to turn all the stuff on. Lane departure, love it. I was trying to show my wife how it worked and actually drifted out of the lane while looking at the console, and it corrected. Not sure how I can test the auto braking without trying to drive into something which I'm not sure I'm willing to do :)

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Had an interesting experience with my 2019 Ranger. I was on my way home when I figured out the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking system works much better than I ever imagined. I was cruising along at about 48 MPH and a I saw an almost flat Mylar balloon on the road ahead and didn't really give it a second thought as it was just barely able to float. The balloon was kicked up just enough by the car in front of me to cause the balloon to be in front of me about 30-40 feet away when my Ranger went into a re-Collision Alert and tried to completely stop me before hitting an innocent Mylar balloon. Any one else ever experienced this or something similar?
I've got ours set at "Alert", the lowest possible setting. That way it's beeps and flashes... but does nothing. Ours goes off about half the time I pass somebody.

I pretty much hate the system and wish it wasn't there at all.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
best way to test it is have your wife stand in the street and accelerate towards her.
this is also a trust thing.
dont trust that she will stand still, but if she does, you'll see how awesome the system works.
OK, that is actually funny.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I had a beaver (no bullshit) trigger mine. I couldn’t figure out wtf was going on because I didn’t see the tree killer at first. I have had a weird thing with it and the stop/start (another trigger for you folks it seems). I was creeping up to a stop sign behind like 6-7 other cars and I wasn’t exactly stopped, like maybe doing 1-3km/h (so basically stopped to you non science folk) and the car in front of me stopped, and I wasn’t going to because he was about to go through the intersection, pre collision went off and then stop/start did it’s thing and it shut the truck off while I was still moving. I have been able to re-create this issue once since too.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I had a dump truck on the left side of me slightly ahead. We were going through a green light, out of no where a guy on a bike crossed right in front of the truck. The truck did not have time to react. The brakes on mine reacted before I could and saved that guy a broken leg or worse. It worked for me that day no doubt. Guy on the bike was almost hit by a big truck and me, just kept going like he owned the road or something.

It was a weird feeling, but ill be keeping that feature active.

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
I had a beaver (no bullshit) trigger mine. I couldn’t figure out wtf was going on because I didn’t see the tree killer at first. I have had a weird thing with it and the stop/start (another trigger for you folks it seems). I was creeping up to a stop sign behind like 6-7 other cars and I wasn’t exactly stopped, like maybe doing 1-3km/h (so basically stopped to you non science folk) and the car in front of me stopped, and I wasn’t going to because he was about to go through the intersection, pre collision went off and then stop/start did it’s thing and it shut the truck off while I was still moving. I have been able to re-create this issue once since too.
Hell yeah i would stop for Beaver!

OP
OP
hughesjv

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got ours set at "Alert", the lowest possible setting. That way it's beeps and flashes... but does nothing. Ours goes off about half the time I pass somebody.

I think I would have the dealer look at yours. Every time mine goes off it is because someone or something is stopping not because they are changing lanes...although one fool changed lanes in front of me then hit his breaks...the system didn't like that!

OP
OP
hughesjv

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, twice. Once when a traffic cop stepped into my travel lane to wave over a speeding vehicle in the next lane. Alerts went off and brakes engaged. 2nd time, a stumble bum came out into road from behind some bushes along a median and crossed a 4 lane road in front of me. Same thing, alerts and brakes engaged.
You know insurance companies won't give a discount for these systems but man I think they save lives and accidents...that Mylar balloon wasn't touched I tell you!

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

Are you saying that it goes off as you pass someone on a multilane highway (either on the right or left of you) or oncoming on a two lane?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Are you saying that it goes off as you pass someone on a multilane highway (either on the right or left of you) or oncoming on a two lane?
When I go to pass someone, and I accelerate, it see's the vehicle in my lane, that I am passing, and the alarm sounds..

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Besides the stop/start thingy mine gives me zero grief. I do a lot of highway driving on one of the busiest (and on the busiest) sections of highway in North America and have zero issues. I’d have it looked at for sure, and I have mine cranked up as sensitive as it goes. Only thing I can think of is maybe you are accelerating right up behind someone and changing lanes at the last moment??? But it doesn’t seem like that’s your case
Sponsored