Power Ports turn off when opening the door?

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
All,

Did some searching around trying to find posts that addressed the issue of Power Ports turning off when the door is open despite the timeout setting of 4500 seconds (75 minutes) and I've come up empty. Everything I've found either here or on google is about how to keep them on longer than the typical 75 minutes or other post of people asking why they stay on so long. So, nothing to do with them shutting off when the door is open.

The longer story is that my nephew wanted to change his so that they would turn off shorty after turning off his truck since he has a radar detector plugged in. We use Forscan to set it to 60 seconds and discovered that the timer starts after you both turn off the truck and open the door. This is actually pretty cool. After he left, I thought, "you know, I should lower mine to about 30 minutes (1800 seconds in Forscan)" so I did. Well, the next time I drove the truck, I shut off the key, things stayed on but then when I opened the door the Power Ports went off like the radio does. I thought that was odd so I decided to put it back and it's still the same. I confirmed that the Power Point timeout setting is set to enabled but they just turn off when the door is open. It seems that they will stay on as long as the radio does when I turn off the key, but instead of staying on when I open the door like they used to do, they now consistently turn off when I open the door.

I tend to think maybe this is related to battery age as some of you will remember that about 4 months ago I noticed everything shutdown when I turned the key off. Using my NOCO charger in repair mode seems to have made things better but Auto Stop/Start has been hit or miss since then.

Does anyone know if this is yet another sign that the BMS is looking to protect an old battery?
Sponsored

OP
OP

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evidently I'm trail blazer as no one responded. But I can say that this story has a happy ending. On Wednesday morning, when I got to work, my Power Ports stayed on after shutting the truck off and opening the door!

I think what happened was this. As mentioned in the battery thread, I'd set my battery SOC to 90%. This is a 4+ year old factory battery that would shut everything down right after I turned the key off 4 or so months ago. After charging the battery with my ancient charger things were better. Then I got my NOCO and did two rounds of topping it off and repair mode both times voltages looked better and Auto Stop/Start worked normally.

Now, with the SOC at 90%, I believe the battery slowly degrades and this last Sunday when I did the forscan Power Port changes I had the truck on for a while and I think it just dropped the battery capacity down to a point where the BMS was worried about the battery so it would just turn those off when I opened the door. It wasn't so bad that it turned things off when the key went off. Now, since I also set the battery SOC to 95%, I think this change is what brought things back. I think 95% is actually able to improve the battery health since it seems like this charges my battery much better on my 20 mile commute.

So two things I think I learned this week. First, I think 95% is a good SOC and I'm going to keep it there. 90% might be OK if one disables Auto Stop/Start. Second, I think the Power Ports are the second "canary in the coal mine" that the BMS will turn off when the doors open after shutdown in an effort to protect the battery from fully draining. I think this would be helpful for anyone with BMS enabled but Auto Stop/Start disabled as it might indicate they need to worry about their battery health.

Hope this helps someone else but I think I'm in a happier place with my charging.

OP
OP

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mine has been doing the same thing lately since I switched jobs to a 4 mile commute and I ride my bike 3 out of 5 work days.... I might need to go for a drive
That or try a charger. What's your battery State of Charge?
Sponsored