First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Watch out for cattle. We had to wait for several groups of cows to move along off the road. Also, there is a lot of scrub really close to the road. Here is what the sides of the truck looked like once I was back home (pictures are from the bay of the car wash where I just sprayed it all off - no permanent damage... the ceramic coating is doing its job!)

IMG_3698.jpg
IMG_3699.jpg
I think you changed my mind!

Did you go through Emmett?

I need to get a good offroad map as I've only gone offroad near McCall.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think you changed my mind!

Did you go through Emmett? I need to get a good offroad map.
Heh. To be clear: The scrub on the trail is quite soft - just leaves mostly. They just dragged through the coating of dust and left that pattern. It literally all rinsed right off the truck... no pin striping (at least no new ones ;-) )

Yes, drove through Emmett to get up there via Butte road. Stopped at the 3rd set of TV/Radio towers... tried to go a little past, but the road got significantly worse / tighter. That's where I had to actually go into 4 low to climb back up to the 3rd tower and set up for the photography.

I need to find out what other better trails there are around here. Lots of BLM land to the west, fun stuff up by Bogus, but that's all I know about so far.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
On the sticker or through the sticker?
Pretty sure it’s through it, it’s pretty bad. Going to have the guy who did the ceramic coat look at it this week and see what he can do as there’s a bunch of other scratches from yesterday too, that one just being the deepest/worst.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Friday after work I ran out to the Kuna Butte (map) to play a bit off road. Got some air time for at least one tire. ?

IMG_3705.jpg
IMG_3707.jpg
IMG_3710.jpg
IMG_3709.jpg

Deleted member 1634

After 2 previous failed (re given up) attempts (one with my last Subaru, another with the truck last summer), we finally made it out to the very tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in the UP jutting out into Lake Superior. There's an old USAF Rocket Range out there at the tip, used for testing during the Cold War. Pretty cool little piece of history.

It took about an hour once we hit the dirt at the end of US41. The road got worse as we went. Ended up averaging about 3-6mph for the last few miles. A lot of undulating bumps and dips. Some nice big rocks and buried logs. Quite a few puddles near the end, deepest one was probably 12" deep. But they all had rocky bottoms so not bad.

Ended up getting passed by a number of different vehicles on the way out while we were stopped picking Thimbleberries in the bushes. Most were ready for the task (Tundra, F-150, Jeep, Razr). The brand new Lexus coupe and Ford Edge were not. A few hundred yards ahead we met both of them heading back to safety. haha

Very pleased with the breakover clearance. I was sure it would bottom out on a few of the puddle to puddle bumps. Also same with the departure angle. I still had the hitch in from towing the camper and it didn't hit once. Never once did the wheels slip/break loose in 4H mud/ruts mode.

Let the wife drive on the way back out since I knew the truck was fine and not struggling at all and she likes to do off-roading as well. She ended up testing out the front skid plate on a high jutting rock. Just some scuffs on it though after further inspection.

All-in-all it was a fun trip and I'm very pleased with the capability of this truck!

IMG_20200725_115740298_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200725_115729686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200725_114006634_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200726_203911923.jpg

Deleted member 1634

That's what the skid plates are for, LOL, I used my plate within the first two weeks
Exactly! Skids are to be skidded, bumpers are to be bumped. It's right there in the name. haha

She was a little worried when we felt the thump and heard the nice metallic *ting*, but I was pretty sure it was fine. And especially after looking at it afterwards and it just being a scuff and not dented or dinged or anything. She was surprised I even let her drive in the first place, and even more surprised when I let her continue driving after we inspected the skid plate. haha

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good times in my 2WD off-road. :sunglasses:

trock.jpg

dfsd.jpg
Hi Stephen,

Red Georgia clay.....could not get the stain out of my jeans when at Road Atlanta... UG!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired