First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And what if he had bought the new Frontier - would that be worthy of as much condemnation as a Tacoma ? When I became a sales person for what was once was the 2nd largest IT firm, after a few months on the job doing some cold calling my thoughts were that it was similar to peoples perception of autos things like "HP they s*ck, I wouldn't use their stuff for free" and so on and so forth, heard very little actually based on factual info, just pre conceived often inaccurate bias. As long as they liked me (of course they all did) I didn't care, but for anyone who sells or has sold - personal like or dislike was often a bigger factor.
Having said the above I think GM sucks worse than Yota, no offense intended to the OP.
I've never owned a Nissan or even driven a Frontier so I really can't comment. Mow I did own a 2016 Tacoma and IMHO it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! There are many here who came from the 3rd gen Tacoma and have similar feeling so I know I'm not alone with my statement. Maybe they don't have as strong of an opinion as I do but all have said they hated the drivetrain and the seating position.

I test drove the ZR2 before buying my Ranger and I came very close to buying it. But after reading up about the tranny problems and some other smaller issues (I can't remember now what they were but nothing big) I decided to get back into a Ford as that's what I've mostly owned and have the best luck with. I think people should drive whatever makes them happy but with my experience with the Tacoma and the terrible customer service I received from Toyota corporate I'll never own another Toyota ever again.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I've never owned a Nissan or even driven a Frontier so I really can't comment. Mow I did own a 2016 Tacoma and IMHO it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! There are many here who came from the 3rd gen Tacoma and have similar feeling so I know I'm not alone with my statement. Maybe they don't have as strong of an opinion as I do but all have said they hated the drivetrain and the seating position.

I test drove the ZR2 before buying my Ranger and I came very close to buying it. But after reading up about the tranny problems and some other smaller issues (I can't remember now what they were but nothing big) I decided to get back into a Ford as that's what I've mostly owned and have the best luck with. I think people should drive whatever makes them happy but with my experience with the Tacoma and the terrible customer service I received from Toyota corporate I'll never own another Toyota ever again.
Why did you buy the Tacoma in the 1st place, did CR recommend it ? My wife's auto is a Hyundai Sante Fe and on that board people p*ss and m*an about issues they experience (some are valid) and they say they either are going back to Yota or should've bought one. I'd wager on the Taco board you'll find ex Ford owners that fled the brand.
I swore after my 1991 Ford Taurus sho no more Fords ever, but here I sit behind the wheel of a Ford Ranger and liking it - for now:rockon:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Why did you buy the Tacoma in the 1st place, did CR recommend it ? My wife's auto is a Hyundai Sante Fe and on that board people p*ss and m*an about issues they experience (some are valid) and they say they either are going back to Yota or should've bought one. I'd wager on the Taco board you'll find ex Ford owners that fled the brand.
I swore after my 1991 Ford Taurus sho no more Fords ever, but here I sit behind the wheel of a Ford Ranger and liking it - for now:rockon:
When I moved out here from MA I had no need for my F150 and wanted a mid size. The Ranger wasn't available yet and the Tacoma was supposedly the best mid size out there. I wasn't able to test one as they were just starting production of the 3rd gen and I assumed it would be just as good as the 2nd gen. Boy was I wrong! If you've never driven one you have to in order to understand how bad they really are. The only good thing about it was it held its value and I got a great trade in for my Ranger.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I may be in the same situation soon. Thinking about getting rid of my Ranger for a Jeep.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I moved out here from MA I had no need for my F150 and wanted a mid size. The Ranger wasn't available yet and the Tacoma was supposedly the best mid size out there. I wasn't able to test one as they were just starting production of the 3rd gen and I assumed it would be just as good as the 2nd gen. Boy was I wrong! If you've never driven one you have to in order to understand how bad they really are. The only good thing about it was it held its value and I got a great trade in for my Ranger.
My son has a 2016 TRD Pro, it has the 4.0L , he bought it used and overpaid. It's not great but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's horrible and yes I've driven it. The seating position wasn't as bad as I anticipated but I wasn't behind the wheel for more than an hour.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've been eyeing a Colorado(2020) myself, but two things are keeping me from just jumping back to a GM product
1)The front end looks too much like their cars...
2)interior feels weird. Although the '22 refresh has some interior tweaks so I may need to check one out.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've been eyeing a Colorado(2020) myself, but two things are keeping me from just jumping back to a GM product
2)interior feels weird. Although the '22 refresh has some interior tweaks so I may need to check one out.
When I shopped midsized trucks summer of 2020 that was my impression as well.

Then there were the little things like no intelligent access or LED headlights available on a $50k ZR2.

Then there was the infamous GM quality.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
while im not a gm fan at all any more i do admit i like the step bumpers the col and canyons come with on the trucks and the front locker option. surprised ford did not make a version of the rangers with those yet.

OP
OP

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
I think the OP is smart enough to know not to come on here and say he bought a Taco. He's know's what'll happen. ?
Chairs.gif
You just don't cross some lines ?

OP
OP

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Guy
When I shopped midsized trucks summer of 2020 that was my impression as well.

Then there were the little things like no intelligent access or LED headlights available on a $50k ZR2.

Then there was the infamous GM quality.
LED headlamps were something I really wanted, so that's a conversion I'll have to make happen eventually.

OP
OP

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Guy
It's def not a modern interior, but the infotainment tech is solid and the seats are comfy. The heated steering wheel is a godsend lol.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's def not a modern interior, but the infotainment tech is solid and the seats are comfy. The heated steering wheel is a godsend lol.
Lest we forget in 2023 Colorado will also be one engine, the 2.7L turbo. For me living at 7k and going up mtn passes and having driven turbos for nearly 40 yrs - gotta have forced induction.

USA sales nos, mid sized pickups - I didn't realize that Gladiator was selling well as is the Frontier.

TOTAL-13.47%128,186148,149+11.44%452,379405,946
MODELQ3 21 / Q3 20Q3 21Q3 20Q3 21 SHAREQ3 20 SHAREYTD 21 / YTD 20YTD 21YTD 20
TOYOTA TACOMA+8.19%61,33556,69248%38%+22.62%200,631163,619
JEEP GLADIATOR+2.31%22,67422,16318%15%+25.39%71,45856,990
FORD RANGER-49.44%14,33528,35011%19%-2.20%72,70674,338
CHEVROLET COLORADO-53.42%12,69627,25610%18%-24.77%51,55568,529
NISSAN FRONTIER+61.75%11,6677,2139%5%+44.78%38,05926,287
GMC CANYON-15.38%5,4796,4754%4%+11.04%17,97016,183

OP
OP

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Guy
I lived in Colorado for a few years, I know the effect of altitude well :) Turbo or bust up there.

In the sticks where I live, there are more F-150s and Silverados than there are people (primarily those two brands as well here)... So I shouldn't have trouble rehoming this guy to a Chevy nut in a few model years when 6G is broken in ;)

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
I actually like the truck a lot. Great color to end up with as well. Definitely a fan of the projector lights. Hope it treat ya well bud!
Sponsored