Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Hi OD,

Avenue of the Giants? Been through there a many times....just fabulous stretch of road.

A bit of a personal back story,

Wife and I decided to visit the San Diego area and got a 2 week spot in a very nice RV Park in Chula Vista, As we were leaving the next day after the 2 week stay, Wife says Where To? I pondered this a bit and said...Lets drive Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) until it ends. So we embarked on a journey on PCH from the California/Mexico boarder to the end of PCH into Highway 101 in way Northern California. Okay...now we are 65 ft long in the RV, towing our little Ranger. We are not the only ones to try this, but what an adventure..hairpin after hairpin for several days, and the coach got dinged on the right rocker panes when I dropped the right side dualies off the road one very tight turn... Many places we had to pull off to let faster traffic by... The scenery was over the top...and being up high with a 8x4 foot panoramic window high over the auto traffic...Wow! I have to say that North of San Francisco was more spectacular than Big Sur! We ended up in Le Push Washington, the most Northwest place in the Lower 48 states. An RV Trip of a life time...Took me several days of working to bring the rocker panel back to shape, but worth the memories.

Do it again? Absolutely Not! Whew!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Phil,

Holy smokes, That sounds treacherous, I can't image navigating a large RV through the Ave of the Giants with that much length. It is beautiful country though, I haven't seen anything like 101 or highway 1 through North CA and up to Washington. Sounds like you guys had a long and memorable trip. We are driving up to Olympic Natl Park this April in the Ranger, so looking forward to that.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

Holy smokes, That sounds treacherous, I can't image navigating a large RV through the Ave of the Giants with that much length. It is beautiful country though, I haven't seen anything like 101 or highway 1 through North CA and up to Washington. Sounds like you guys had a long and memorable trip. We are driving up to Olympic Natl Park this April in the Ranger, so looking forward to that.
If you hike the Hoh rain forest in the Olympic National Park, my best friend and neighbor, now departed at 91, cleared that trail as part of the US war effort in 1943...as a Quaker, he was a not drafted but contributed to the war effort stateside. He rose to be the COO of Conoco Oil...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reiterd

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
If you hike the Hoh rain forest in the Olympic National Park, my best friend and neighbor, now departed at 91, cleared that trail as part of the US war effort in 1943...as a Quaker, he was a not drafted but contributed to the war effort stateside. He rose to be the COO of Conoco Oil...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reiterd
Phil,

Sounds like a interesting guy and that is a very cool piece of history, Ill certainly checkout that forest when we are up there (never been in that area before).