Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil,

Thanks,I'll check it out if we go back in. I'd be doing it alone as my girlfriend has a bad knee so she'd be hanging out too at the Observation Point.

Zion is so crowded right now and with the limited parking inside makes it hard to enjoy it. It was a 45 minute wait last night just to get in the east entrance then 12 miles of bumper to bumper traffic all the way through the park. I think it said there were only 450 parking spots inside the park and every single parking spot was full. We're staying just outside the west entrance (1/2 mile) so toady we walked in and did one of the easier hikes along the river. One of the locals told us about a few other nice places to go which are less crowded and have great views so that's our plan for tomorrow. :)
Hi Dave,

Angles landing is one of the most dangerous hikes in the National Park System. Bad knee of the GF, Avoid for her. We were there in early May and not so bad for visitors. There were no cars allowed in the park, only the shuttles to the various points. Court of the Three Sisters hike is easy and very nice as well.

This link shows the hike and the vista. My CD pictures are burried, but the hike was memorable and the pathway was treacherous in places with shear drop offs.

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.php

Also, on your back from Bryce....Gotta stop at Ceder Breaks. There are some Bristle Cone Pines that are the oldest living organisms on the planet. Over 4500 years old trees. Will try to post some pictures, but here if a painting Margie did of my photo of a 2500 old Bristle Cone Pine in the park.

IMG_2536_1.jpg

Also...Go out to I 15 and head North a few miles to the National Park Kolob Canyon....equally spectacular with out much traffic. Great hiking opportunities and knee friendly.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

Angles landing is one of the most dangerous hikes in the National Park System. Bad knee of the GF, Avoid for her. We were there in early May and not so bad for visitors. There were no cars allowed in the park, only the shuttles to the various points. Court of the Three Sisters hike is easy and very nice as well.

This link shows the hike and the vista. My CD pictures are burried, but the hike was memorable and the pathway was treacherous in places with shear drop offs.

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.php

Also, on your back from Bryce....Gotta stop at Ceder Breaks. There are some Bristle Cone Pines that are the oldest living organisms on the planet. Over 4500 years old trees. Will try to post some pictures, but here if a painting Margie did of my photo of a 2500 old Bristle Cone Pine in the park.

IMG_2536_1.jpg

Also...Go out to I 15 and head North a few miles to the National Park Kolob Canyon....equally spectacular with out much traffic. Great hiking opportunities and knee friendly.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Phil,

I'd love to hike that trail but my GF sitting here is already shaking her head no way! lol

Kolob Canyon is another one of the locals told us about today along with Kolob Reservoir. The road up to the reservoir is very scenic and you go into the western corner of Zion. Once up there there's a turn off to Lava Point Lookout which looks over that part of Zion. We're going to head out first to Torquerville Falls. It's 5.5 miles of off roading to a waterfall out in the middle of nowhere. You can drive through the top part of the falls and there are a couple of pools to jump into and swim. A little to cold for that now as the nights are only 44 degrees.

Will check out Cedar Breaks, there's so much to do up here besides the two main parks Zion/Bryce. It just feels great to get out of the heat and into some nice clean cool air! Thanks for the recommendations.

Tiggger1531

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
retired USAF
Here's my little contribution. This was in Johnson City TX. Getting the Christmas lights ready for this year.

20201012_220436.jpg
Though I don't currently live in Johnson City, we just vacationed there recently. The hill country of Texas is my happy place. South Central TN is nice but I'm looking forward to eventually moving back to Texas.