Pivot Storage Box - Ford Accessories??

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
I have a question, in the directions it states you need to use a "Galvanic corrosion compound" on the threads as you install the screws. I am having a hard time finding something like this. I even checked west marine but they don't sell the salt water products in Indiana. What did you use? I was thinking at this point to just use dielectric grease. Is it a mild steel and aluminum screw situation? Am I overthinking this?
Have a look at Tef-Gel. I use it on saltwater boats to prevent stainless bolts from seizing. https://ca.binnacle.com/p8658/Tef-Gel-1oz-Syringe/product_info.html
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

I couldn't wait, so I went out yesterday afternoon, froze my fingers, and got it installed. haha Looks pretty good. I did screw up one of the torx fasteners for the hinge portion. Apparently I didn't clean out enough bedliner and ended up stripping the head when driving it in. I'll grab a new fastener and install it later. Should be fine with just 2 for now since I'm not really going anywhere crazy and there's not much weight in it yet.

Despite it looking larger in the delivery box, it is not as big as I had thought once it's installed. It doesn't hug the wheel arch as much as I'd hoped either. And once I added some of my stuff into it, I realized there's still a lot of stuff I still need to find storage space for. So we'll see what my next idea will be. I am probably going to take a page out of another users playbook and mount some stuff to the box. Put my large Maglite in the long slot on the lid, and my hatchet/saw and folding shovel to the side. Mounting hardware is already on order, but not due for a few weeks with the delivery hierarchy changed.

In the end, it doesn't really take up that much bedspace and it works well as a storage unit, so all in all a win.

IMG_20200415_161418500.jpg
I got some QuickFist Clamps and mounted my hatchet and Maglite onto my box. I saw another member do something similar and decided to do it too. Works pretty well. My hope is to just be able to reach in through the driver's side windoor on the topper to access the flashlight if I want. Not sure that'll be possible since it sits in there pretty snug, but either way it's a better spot for it than where it was before.

IMG_20200501_141023677_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200501_141041062.jpg

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Just ordered the driver side box yesterday, it is perfect for my needs. Going to get the passenger side too eventually. I had the built in factory boxes in my old Avalanche and found them invaluable.These will serve a similar function. I can see this place is going to cost me money ha ha!

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I hate having to empty out a toolbox to get to the item I need at the bottom, so I could see that these cases needed some dividers.

First, I used some gallon-size plastic boxes as containers. Three of these nicely filled the main compartment. That helped organize smaller items in the main compartment for me on one side, sub-dividing smaller items by category.

Then, I sliced a couple chunks of 8" vinyl flooring into a trapezoid-shape to divide out that sloped part from the main part of the box. This makes use of these irregularly-shaped spaces more efficiently for me.

Now, I can probably find stuff in there even with that dim little bulb in the cap.
I called the mfr to ask if they made any drop-in storage accessories for these cases, and he said no. They are missing a bet.

While talking to him, I asked about the slots in the bottom. The slots are used for mounting the brackets on the side that is used by that box. Look at the bulkhead side of yours to see this.

He said that they only make the one box, fitment for right or left, big truck, little truck. So, the unused side slots are left there to annoy us by unproductively taking up that space inside (not his words).
I am not at all impressed with how these cases use available space in the truck. The quality seems good, but the design is nowhere near optimal. This is their one and only case, made to fit all trucks, right AND left side, and I am sure it would easily fit in the tiniest truck out there.

I bet these would have looked absurd in my F150. What say you, F150 guys that have these?

Had I known how dinky these boxes were, I would have shopped farther. I know that the Chinese make these, too, and maybe they care enough to make one that actually fits the truck.

1588993653055.jpeg
1588992546777.jpeg

1588993497998.jpeg

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Whoo hoo! mine arrived today! Going to go out in the unseasonably cold weather and try and get it installed.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Got mine installed yesterday. Works great! Had to make a couple trips to the parts store though. Ford didn't install the tie downs in the center of bed position, so i had to go get 2 m8 bolts. Closest i found were button allen head black, they didn't have any torx. No biggie as they work and look fine. I will be adding the missing tie downs at a later date anyways, and will get the correct style bolts when i do. Next issue was the tie down nearest to tailgate. Upper bolt came out easy, lower bolt was really tight the whole way out. Whoever put it in cross threaded it then probably drove it home with a power tool. Back to the store to get a tap to chase the threads. That bolt had slightly flattend threads, but since it went back in fine, i decided to reuse it for now. Didn't have any anti-seize at the house, so i used choke tube lube! It is formulated to keep stainless chokes from sticking or rusting in chrome moly barrels, so it should work great.I put a layer of clear packing tape on the mounting surfaces of the brackets to keep from scratching the bed paint and getting rust started. Going to eventually get a spray in bed liner, but till then i don't want to give rust a chance to start. I also found it was easier to leave the bolts that attach to the tie down nearest the tailgate very loose, just started enough the don't come out, so the center tie down bolts will be easier to line up. All in all, a very easy install. if i have any criticisms, they should make the lid material thicker/stronger, and have metal/ more sturdy hinges. As is, it will work great for what i am going to use it for.

Last edited:

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
i was hoping someone would source a knockoff version.
Not a knockoff, but "SwingCase", the original manufacturer of these cases. I got mine a couple weeks ago on sale for $350 the pair. They do not use the space very well, but really, the only game in town unless you want to buy Chinese.

ZacB

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
EE
Does everyone who's installed these have 6 tie down hooks? Most recent Rangers seem to only be coming with 4, but the instructions for the OEM box have it use the existing bolts assuming it has the middle one. I debated buying the SwingBox, but decided I'd leave that risk to the dealer to deal with the missing bolts. The sales manager said he'd take them off another truck if he had to. We'll see how it goes.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
If you are getting swing boxes, you cannot use the to tie down hooks at the tailgate end of the bed.

I had only four when I bought my truck. I was missing the two middle hooks. I moved the two hooks at the tailgate and put them in the middle. Of course I had to swing cases so I did the same on both sides.

Again, if you have a swing case installed, you cannot use the tie down at the tailgate side. You can only use the two in the front and the two in the middle - relocated from the tailgate end.

No need for the dealer to get you two more if your installing swing cases. You won't be able to use them.

Deleted member 1634

If you are getting swing boxes, you cannot use the to tie down hooks at the tailgate end of the bed.

I had only four when I bought my truck. I was missing the two middle hooks. I moved the two hooks at the tailgate and put them in the middle. Of course I had to swing cases so I did the same on both sides.

Again, if you have a swing case installed, you cannot use the tie down at the tailgate side. You can only use the two in the front and the two in the middle - relocated from the tailgate end.

No need for the dealer to get you two more if your installing swing cases. You won't be able to use them.
You can still use the aft most tie downs if you remove the swing box(es). I've done that before. Had to take the swing box out (which is very easy to do) to haul certain cargo, and then used those aft most tie-downs to secure my load. If you are going to keep the boxes in place, then yes those tie downs are not available for use. But then neither are the middle ones either, since they secure the box.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
The swing case does obscure the tie down but IN A PINCH you can put a bungee cord hook into the lock eye for the swing case.

Eventually I'll get around to fettling up something there in that vicinity to act as an ersatz tie down.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
The swing case does obscure the tie down but IN A PINCH you can put a bungee cord hook into the lock eye for the swing case.

Eventually I'll get around to fettling up something there in that vicinity to act as an ersatz tie down.
Lotta cool marmalade words there

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
You can still use the aft most tie downs if you remove the swing box(es). I've done that before. Had to take the swing box out (which is very easy to do) to haul certain cargo, and then used those aft most tie-downs to secure my load. If you are going to keep the boxes in place, then yes those tie downs are not available for use. But then neither are the middle ones either, since they secure the box.
The middle hooks don't secure the swing cases. The swing cases secure to the bracket.

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
If someone goes out there and gets the measurement for mtbikernate could you also give me a measurement from the box to the other side of the bed? asking if my ATV will fit with any issues into the bed and a side mount box.

Thanks!
I have carried mine both ways. It barely fit with the box there but the issue was strapping it down. I basically had to attache the straps to that side before loading the atv. Now I remove the box when I haul it if possible. It is 48" wide.

4 wheeler.jpg
Sponsored