Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
i went with a piece of stock, 1/4" aluminum 6x12 and extended about 4" past the holes- that removed the bracket in the back- i didnt attempt at about an inch though i feel that would work with the orginal back bracket but didnt want to mess with the rest.

20200228_155257.jpg

20200228_155336.jpg

20200228_155405.jpg

20200228_155528.jpg
Thank you for that:like:
Sponsored

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I am not sure if i will try the back bracket or not at this time. I didnt want to mess with trying to fit that support bracket around the liner. If i get unhappy with looping the chain around the end of that pull... I might take a look at moving the box closer back on the piece of aluminum.
Thank you..... Nice job, mine is passenger side but eyeballing it 4" looks about right.
Ford really sucks saying it fits with minor cutting...
They should've just said it won't go.
Oh well, thanks again.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Thank you..... Nice job, mine is passenger side but eyeballing it 4" looks about right.
Ford really sucks saying it fits with minor cutting...
They should've just said it won't go.
Oh well, thanks again.
I keep thinking on how to manage the latch support bracket and keep coming up with geometry issues trying to adapt what is there vs using that bird feeder chain.... I might just use a bicycle cable to secure it in the end...

svogt302

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I keep thinking on how to manage the latch support bracket and keep coming up with geometry issues trying to adapt what is there vs using that bird feeder chain.... I might just use a bicycle cable to secure it in the end...
I installed mine like yours & have not figured out the latch yet.... My Tonneau cover would never latch if the case was installed as designed... Crazy, tonneau came from Ford.

Thanks again for your help! ?

20200314_134551.jpg

20200314_134259.jpg

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
I installed mine like yours & have not figured out the latch yet.... My Tonneau cover would never latch if the case was installed as designed... Crazy, tonneau came from Ford.

Thanks again for your help! ?

20200314_134551.jpg

20200314_134259.jpg
I used a utility chain attached to the tie downs and loop a link over the catch mechanism... Additional locking to truck with a bike lock. You can also use a ratcheting pole or 2x6 cut to fit to secure the swing even with a chain link over the release bar. Alot of people prefer the spray in liner... If i wreck the installed liner i might consider that... Keep the back piece in case you ever decide to go differently. Good job on the assembly.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2, one on each side. (Added a few things to it
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/slight-mod-to-the-ford-oem-swing-out-tool-boxes.2397/)
I actually converted the passenger side to hold my onboard ARB air compressor :)
The brackets it comes with seems pretty sturdy, the actual tool boxes themselves are decent size and quality.
(Although I wish the material was a bit thicker, or heavy duty)
It does help organize stuff in the bed, if that’s what you’re looking for.
PS- the cup holder feature is not useful, as anything you put on it would just slide off.

2AB3F98A-5227-45C1-9304-9E2129F98182.jpeg

972515D1-850E-42F8-8342-2356C56F2132.jpeg

A1A1E8E0-BB67-4C2F-ADBB-38426792A040.jpeg
I like your style of thinking...outside the box!

Deleted member 1634

Mine was just delivered this afternoon. Might not get around to installing it until this weekend when the temp gets above freezing again. I went with just the driver's side, and the non-Ford branded one. Might end up getting the passenger side one as well once I see how much space it takes up and how much I can fit inside. It is bigger than I had thought, so that's a plus, and means I might be able to fit most of my stuff in it as is. I'd been trying to figure out how to store my stuff now that I have a topper on and want to maintain as much usable bed space as I can. Floated around a few options from a saddle type box that mounts to the inside of the bed rail (I have a windoor on the driver's side of my topper so I'd be able to access that easily) to creating my own box which can hold loose items as well as some hard cases. This ended up being the easiest and simplest. Still might do a combination of the others later on though, we'll see.

Deleted member 1634

Mine was just delivered this afternoon. Might not get around to installing it until this weekend when the temp gets above freezing again. I went with just the driver's side, and the non-Ford branded one. Might end up getting the passenger side one as well once I see how much space it takes up and how much I can fit inside. It is bigger than I had thought, so that's a plus, and means I might be able to fit most of my stuff in it as is. I'd been trying to figure out how to store my stuff now that I have a topper on and want to maintain as much usable bed space as I can. Floated around a few options from a saddle type box that mounts to the inside of the bed rail (I have a windoor on the driver's side of my topper so I'd be able to access that easily) to creating my own box which can hold loose items as well as some hard cases. This ended up being the easiest and simplest. Still might do a combination of the others later on though, we'll see.
I couldn't wait, so I went out yesterday afternoon, froze my fingers, and got it installed. haha Looks pretty good. I did screw up one of the torx fasteners for the hinge portion. Apparently I didn't clean out enough bedliner and ended up stripping the head when driving it in. I'll grab a new fastener and install it later. Should be fine with just 2 for now since I'm not really going anywhere crazy and there's not much weight in it yet.

Despite it looking larger in the delivery box, it is not as big as I had thought once it's installed. It doesn't hug the wheel arch as much as I'd hoped either. And once I added some of my stuff into it, I realized there's still a lot of stuff I still need to find storage space for. So we'll see what my next idea will be. I am probably going to take a page out of another users playbook and mount some stuff to the box. Put my large Maglite in the long slot on the lid, and my hatchet/saw and folding shovel to the side. Mounting hardware is already on order, but not due for a few weeks with the delivery hierarchy changed.

In the end, it doesn't really take up that much bedspace and it works well as a storage unit, so all in all a win.

IMG_20200415_161418500.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Could someone who has one of these boxes measure the locations of the bolt holes for the mounting bracket year the tailgate?

I'm considering a bike rack from Exodux that mounts to this location, and the manufacturer has some mounting plates that work for Ford F-series trucks that have mounting holes for a bed extender. Of course, the holes on the Ranger are different, but if I could use what's already there, that would make it better. And I'm sure the rack manufacturer could simply add a few holes to his existing mounting plates to make it also work for the new Rangers.

Of course, I got a Rhino Lining bedliner installed a couple days ago, and while they did a good job with most of the other holes in the bed, leaving them accessible, they sprayed over these holes. I'll need to clean them out if I plan to use them, but I'd also rather not do so blindly.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
If someone goes out there and gets the measurement for mtbikernate could you also give me a measurement from the box to the other side of the bed? asking if my ATV will fit with any issues into the bed and a side mount box.

Thanks!

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
20200417_191331.jpg

20200417_191505.jpg

Bottom 2 holes are 1/2" from the edge of the bracket. Top hole is 1 1/4" from the edge of the bracket.
Bottom to top are 2 1/4", 7 1/2", 13 1/4" from the floor.

The box takes up 9" of bed width, leaving 52". It's also really easy to remove.

Deleted member 1634

If someone goes out there and gets the measurement for mtbikernate could you also give me a measurement from the box to the other side of the bed? asking if my ATV will fit with any issues into the bed and a side mount box.

Thanks!
The box doesn't stick out any further than the wheel well. So if your ATV fits between the wheel wells, then it'll fit between the boxes. Though like another user noted, they are very easily removed if need be.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
20200417_191331.jpg

20200417_191505.jpg

Bottom 2 holes are 1/2" from the edge of the bracket. Top hole is 1 1/4" from the edge of the bracket.
Bottom to top are 2 1/4", 7 1/2", 13 1/4" from the floor.

The box takes up 9" of bed width, leaving 52". It's also really easy to remove.
Thanks a bunch. Hope that's good for the manufacturer.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
The box doesn't stick out any further than the wheel well. So if your ATV fits between the wheel wells, then it'll fit between the boxes. Though like another user noted, they are very easily removed if need be.

thanks to both of you!

I believe one will be put on order.
Sponsored