Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
I got this one from Undercover free with rebate on purchase of Undercover Flex tonneau cover. I like it , use it to put tools in , can remove it by lifting it up off hinges

E6D927ED-EDDB-445D-963D-8230A526E75A.jpeg

7A4C0C13-78C4-498D-A1F2-9CBC1DA5F3EE.jpeg

BF1279ED-9EFE-4279-A287-CF619D13BB47.jpeg
Sponsored

WhiteLightning19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Any of you that installed these boxes - did the installation instructions call out the mounting bolt size/thread that screw into the threaded holes Ford builds into the bed sides?

I want to use one of the threaded holes to install my old bed extender.
I believe the bolts that fasten the hinge bracket on near the tailgate are M6x120's if I remember correctly when I had to re-tap mine.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the bolts that fasten the hinge bracket on near the tailgate are M6x120's if I remember correctly when I had to re-tap mine.
I can't confirm that this is actually accurate in the truck but just so there's no confusion, this should say M6x1.0. Or just M6 usually works.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I have 2, one on each side. (Added a few things to it
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/slight-mod-to-the-ford-oem-swing-out-tool-boxes.2397/)
I actually converted the passenger side to hold my onboard ARB air compressor :)
The brackets it comes with seems pretty sturdy, the actual tool boxes themselves are decent size and quality.
(Although I wish the material was a bit thicker, or heavy duty)
It does help organize stuff in the bed, if that’s what you’re looking for.
PS- the cup holder feature is not useful, as anything you put on it would just slide off.

2AB3F98A-5227-45C1-9304-9E2129F98182.jpeg

972515D1-850E-42F8-8342-2356C56F2132.jpeg

A1A1E8E0-BB67-4C2F-ADBB-38426792A040.jpeg
I just ordered two for my ranger.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So can you open these and access the stuff in them in their stored position, or do you have to swing them out? I know that swinging them out will make it easier, but I just want to know if in a pinch I can get to it in the stored position. Since mine will be a weekend warrior, the bed is going to be full of toys. One of these would be nice to put the permanent stuff in - I'm thinking emergency supplies and first aid type stuff that I hope to never have to use... But I don't want to have to unpack half the truck to get to it if... er, when... I need it.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Are these boxes easily removable if you need to use the entire bed? Kind of looks like it might lift off the mounting hardware but I've never saw one in person.
Yes, they are detachable from the swing arm attachment.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There's not a lot of info on these out there; now that I have mine, I can answer some of the questions. So in no particular order...
  • The lid can be latched without locking it
  • The lid can be raised without swinging the case
  • I would call it very sturdy for a couple of receivers and some straps, but I don't think I'd fill it full with log chains. There is additional support when it is latched (swung closed)
  • There is a provision for a padlock which prevents it from swinging (prevents the case as a whole from being lifted off and stolen). This is separate from the lid lock (the lid can be opened regardless of the status of the padlock)
  • I thought the swinging action was mildly silly, but access from the ground is greatly improved when swung and standing at the tailgate. If you were in the bed, there would be no reason to swing it.
Anything else? I'm happy to answer.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
There's not a lot of info on these out there; now that I have mine, I can answer some of the questions. So in no particular order...
  • I would call it very sturdy for a couple of receivers and some straps, but I don't think I'd fill it full with log chains. There is additional support when it is latched (swung closed)
  • There is a provision for a padlock which prevents it from swinging (prevents the case as a whole from being lifted off and stolen). This is separate from the lid lock (the lid can be opened regardless of the status of the padlock)
  • I thought the swinging action was mildly silly, but access from the ground is greatly improved when swung and standing at the tailgate. If you were in the bed, there would be no reason to swing it.
nice post !! can up open the top with a bed cover on the Truck closed or do you have to open the bed cover before opening the lid?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
nice post !! can up open the top with a bed cover on the Truck closed or do you have to open the bed cover before opening the lid?
I don't have a tonneau, but based on @srgredranger post above I would say that would be a tight fit. Maybe slip-your-hand-in-and-feel-around-for-something but not very good access.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait to install mine this weekend!

Alex6511

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 301A, Tech, Spot, Bed Utility and Trailer tow packages.
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm curious if the directions from Ford have any mentions for the drop-in bedliner. I know people have been saying it works fine in their spray in, but looking at pictures and looking at my bed I have a hard time believing it would fit in my drop-in. That being said the Ford website doesn't say it's incompatible, so I'm curious what the directions say if anything.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the information. I did not know about the padlock option.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I very much like mine. It holds a surprising amount also.