John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Well, I'm confused.
What the heck does a 10mm wrench have to do with touch lock/unlock, or later .. auto windows?
What'd I miss?
I'll expand on AzScorpion's reply...

You know how your home/work computer will lock up? And you know how you will then shut it down and re-start it? That's what the wrench is for. You take the wrench and unhook the negative battery cable. Then wait a few minutes and reconnect it. That re-boots the computer in the truck. And just like your home/work computer, "sometimes" that fixes the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thank you gentlemen.
Use of the 10mm wrench to disconnect the battery/reboot just didn't register :facepalm:
Whew, some days.

StarDestroyer172g

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2 302a
Occupation
IT
Try this to fix the auto window feature. Begins on page 84 in my 2020 manual.

Resetting the Memory of the Electric Windows - Vehicle with One Touch Up/Down on Driver Side only
Note: The bounce back feature remains turned off until you reset the memory.
In the event of a flat battery or after the battery is disconnected from the vehicle, you must reset the memory for the driver window.
1. Open the window and then try to close it using the one-touch feature.
2. Lift and hold the switch to the second action point until you fully close the window.
3. Lift and hold the switch for more than two seconds and release.
4. Open the window using the first action point and try to close it automatically using the second action point.
5. If the window does not open or close automatically when you press the switch or lift it to the second action point, repeat the procedure.

Resetting the Bounce-Back Feature Note: The bounce-back feature remains
turned off until you reset the memory.
If you disconnect the battery, you must reset the bounce-back memory separately for each window.
1. Lift and hold the switch until you fully close the window.
2. Release the switch.
3. Lift the switch again for one second.
4. Press and hold the switch until you fully close the window.
5. Release the switch.
6. Lift and hold the switch until you fully close the window.
7. Open the window and then try to close it automatically.
8. Reset and repeat the procedure if the window does not close automatically.
I created an account just to like and thank you for this post. I thought for sure I had screwed something up in Forscan when my automatic window stopped working. Turns out I had just disconnected the battery to install an amplifier and this procedure worked perfectly to get the window working again.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Interesting topic as my passive system only worked on the driver's door as of late - at the same time I was getting 'low voltage shutdown - conserve battery' warnings on the SYNC3 screen. I've charged the battery recently when doing the SYNC3/Map updates - I'll check the passive lock operation again at the first opportunity.

IMG_0984.JPG

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
HEY AzScorpion NEXT TIME I GET TO AZ, I WILL BUY YOU A COCTAIL! I
I did as you suggested, it worked. I cycled it twice no problem. Lets see what the future holds. Thanks again AzScorpion. Happy and safe Thanksgiving to ALL.
Bob
Great, another thing he'll be known for. Tail gate damper guy, 303 guy, bought a Jeep guy, and now fixes the passive entry guy.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
These threads do have a problem going astray of the original problem. To start with the basics, the doors do not unlock with pressing the detent in the handle. Unlock is by grasping the handle to open the door. Locking is accomplished by touching the detent. If these two conditions do not function, take it to the dealer. Good luck, hope they can help.
Yep, the unlock sensor is on the back of the handle, not the detent. If you don't make contact with the sensor, it won't unlock. Same goes for locking; if you don't touch it on the detent, it doesn't lock.

PXL_20211029_193203625.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yep, the unlock sensor is on the back of the handle, not the detent. If you don't make contact with the sensor, it won't unlock. Same goes for locking; don't touch it on the detent, it doesn't lock.

PXL_20211029_193203625.jpg
Actually mine does lock touching the detent. From day one I've always touched it there and it's always worked along with just about anywhere on the door handle. Funny because the other day I remote started my truck and my gf and I were walking together, she grabbed the handle and it opens for her. I was so close it read the fob in my pocket but I never touch the handle.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Interesting topic as my passive system only worked on the driver's door as of late - at the same time I was getting 'low voltage shutdown - conserve battery' warnings on the SYNC3 screen. I've charged the battery recently when doing the SYNC3/Map updates - I'll check the passive lock operation again at the first opportunity.
Update: I can attest - I charged the battery and Passive Entry was restored to all four doors. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: Doc

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Actually mine does lock touching the detent. From day one I've always touched it there and it's always worked along with just about anywhere on the door handle. Funny because the other day I remote started my truck and my gf and I were walking together, she grabbed the handle and it opens for her. I was so close it read the fob in my pocket but I never touch the handle.
Yeah, I didn't word that well; I meant to say if you don't touch it on the detent, it won't lock. And yes, both front handles will unlock by touching the sensor on the inside/back of the handle as long as the fob is within 5-6 feet (although manual says 3 feet - I've found it works from further away).

VengeanceWithin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just for the heck of it maybe try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. It seems to reset other things who knows it might work for this too? Doesn't hurt to try though. ?‍♂

You are the best! This fixed my issue with my passive unlocking/locking. A 10mm wrench now lives in my center console.

Thanks again

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You are the best! This fixed my issue with my passive unlocking/locking. A 10mm wrench now lives in my center console.

Thanks again
Glad it worked for you! Seems like that's a common problem and an easy thing to try first.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
The only thing I wish my XLT had was passive entry, well and push to start. I like the fob in the pocket thing better than turning the key. I know 1st world problem, and no I don't want a Lariat.
Sponsored