Paint Warranty on wheel wells.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Just left ford. Looks like paint defects on the wheel wells won’t be covered under warranty. Even after 2000 miles. Spoke with manager. Didn’t want to argue with him, he’s always helped on other issues . Nice guy and it wasn’t his call bottom line. So what to do? Does anyone think they Bushwacker or some company might come out with caps on the wheel wells. How do we get a something made? Any ideas appreciated. The paint is going to peel away at some point. Thx

Dan

220D12B6-004E-4CDB-8F7D-841C2E333AB6.jpeg

74ACB943-D9CB-4E23-9115-EB3C3E1ADA5A.jpeg

FE388742-AD59-4318-8D80-9CAC8D0B69F2.jpeg

A7D7B068-2AEF-4691-83D5-6E0AF01012E1.jpeg

63EB7B45-2263-4447-A4A5-1142A615FED8.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys and Gals,

Spoke with Bushwacker Customer Support about and idea to extend the body armor. I am going to email the guy in charge of making decisions to build such things I was told that if this is really an idea people would want that we need to blow up this thread and reach out to them. Supply Demand game obviously.

Again after speaking with ford they're going to blame road conditions potentially and that it's the drivers fault they painted over a rough surface that doesn't seem to be holding the original coatings that well.

The email to get this started is [email protected]

https://www.bushwacker.com/contact/ this is the web address to their site for contacting them in general.

I hope I'm not breaking any board rules as my intent is to solve a problem that others are dealing with and Ford seems to be blowing off. These trucks aren't cheap and if they won't back the paint long term it seems the best and cheapest idea long term is to cover it properly.
Cheers

DMAX

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just left ford. Looks like paint defects on the wheel wells won’t be covered under warranty. Even after 2000 miles. Spoke with manager. Didn’t want to argue with him, he’s always helped on other issues . Nice guy and it wasn’t his call bottom line. So what to do? Does anyone think they Bushwacker or some company might come out with caps on the wheel wells. How do we get a something made? Any ideas appreciated. The paint is going to peel away at some point. Thx

Dan

220D12B6-004E-4CDB-8F7D-841C2E333AB6.jpeg

74ACB943-D9CB-4E23-9115-EB3C3E1ADA5A.jpeg

FE388742-AD59-4318-8D80-9CAC8D0B69F2.jpeg

A7D7B068-2AEF-4691-83D5-6E0AF01012E1.jpeg

63EB7B45-2263-4447-A4A5-1142A615FED8.jpeg

Hi Dan,

Need to clarify you left a Ford Dealer. Dealers are not Ford Employees but independent businesses. My recommendation is to elevate this to Ford Customer Service and open a case. Hopefully a district rep will be put on your complaint and possible review your vehicle and make a determination. The other suggestion is to go to another Ford Dealer if possible and get a second opinion.

I think it is camera angle but it appears your tires are way out in space...are you running wheel spacers?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dan,

Need to clarify you left a Ford Dealer. Dealers are not Ford Employees but independent businesses. My recommendation is to elevate this to Ford Customer Service and open a case. Hopefully a district rep will be put on your complaint and possible review your vehicle and make a determination. The other suggestion is to go to another Ford Dealer if possible and get a second opinion.

I think it is camera angle but it appears your tires are way out in space...are you running wheel spacers?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,
Did what you said. Elevated to ford Corp service rep. My tires are in the stock set up.
Dealer said they were advised by the FMC to do nothing based on their lack of coverage due to possible normal road wear. Which is odd. Very obvious bubble and peeling in person.
Thx
PM me if you would. I have a quick ?

Last edited:

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Hey Phil,
Did what you said. Elevated to ford Corp service rep. My tires are in the stock set up.
Dealer said they were advised by the FMC to do nothing based on their lack of coverage due to possible normal road wear. Which is odd. Very obvious bubble and peeling in person.
Thx
PM me if you would. I have a quick ?
I had my truck in and was told it was not covered because mine was chipping, which is considered "normal" ( even at 10k miles and 9 months??) wear and tear. The dealer I took it to said that the selling dealer "might make it right" and agreed that it's completely unacceptable for such a new truck. The lady said had it been peeling paint, they could have got it covered. Did yours do this with the steps on or did you put the steps on after? I added steps to hopefully alleviate it. I plan on touching mine up once it gets nice and I was going to get the 3M clear film. This is assuming my RB20's will prevent this in the future. My other thought was to get some kydex from ebay and shape it then install with some 3M tape.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer told me to deal with it and now I’m in the process of talking to ford. Ford needs their feedback and photos. My dealer not responding so if not I have to go to another dealer to investigate the issue. Currently waiting. I have been nothing but polite to original dealer as I know being on their bad side is like pissing off the doctor. He can fix and diagnose my issues :). Good to be on solid terms. So I might just have to go to another dealer to get it done in time. We’ll see.

I added that body armor and railes to protect my paint after. My truck started peeling shortly after I purchased it. The clear coat was bubbling. Thought it was chips but it wasn’t. Once I started looking closer it became obvious. Time will tell.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
This is just sad to hear about these paint issues on new trucks at such low mileage. I have seen quite a few posts around paint issues on this board. Ford should be standing behind their product better when it comes to this area.

In comparison, we recently had my wife's Acura MDX paint corrected back in January. I was washing it and noticed paint chipping in front of the sunroof. Those chips continued to grow larger over a course of a few weeks leaving a large unpainted surface. I called Honda Corp about the issue, who then approved to have the paint fixed at no charge via our local Acura dealership. From my call, it took less than 24hrs to get the work approved for a fix. They also extended our paint warranty by a few years. Keep in mind that this is on a 2014 w/ 80k miles.....step it up Ford.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If enough people complain they’ll have to fix it. Alert some one in the car media space and see what happens then lol. I’m going to assume ford will fix it. Until the final no I’m going to be optimistic.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i got a rock chip in that general area of the bed up a bit higher, on the passenger side; trying to figure out how that happened. It happened before i added the gatorback flaps and DSS step bars though. The gatorback flaps have been the best thing so far they have kept the body cleaner. I am hopeful the DSS bars will help deflect rocks from hitting the body.
Sponsored