Packages and options

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I have never special ordered a vehicle but I remember being able to pick and choose options over packages. Is that type of special order still available these days or are we stuck with packages that come with stuff we don't necessarily want ?
Sponsored

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I built mine on Ford and saved the summary, took it to the dealer and have them build it the same way

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Packages have taken over from individual options. I mentioned this to my dealer and he acknowledged this is the way things have gone. I've ordered many vehicles and you're right, you used to be able to pick individual options, but they started throwing them into packages that supposedly saved you money (if you ordered everything in the package). Even in the few cases where you can order individual items, there is often a requirement that you also have to buy another option/package in order to qualify. I imagine packages make it easier to manufacture and, most importantly, more profitable to force you to buy extra options just to get the one or two things you really want.

Last edited:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Not sure if I'm posting in the right thread but I have a question I'd like to throw out. I ordered my truck 4x4 witch includes the standard open rear diff. My knowledge of the different types of rear diffs is minimal, at best. My question is should I get the e-locker option with the 4x4? Is anyone else ordering it. I'd like to get some response as to wether it's a must or leave it?

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
If you truly plan on using the 4wd for it's intended use, then yes.
There is no way I would order a 2wd or 4wd w/o it.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Not sure if I'm posting in the right thread but I have a question I'd like to throw out. I ordered my truck 4x4 witch includes the standard open rear diff. My knowledge of the different types of rear diffs is minimal, at best. My question is should I get the e-locker option with the 4x4? Is anyone else ordering it. I'd like to get some response as to wether it's a must or leave it?
If you plan on actually doing a lot of true off-road activities - mud, sand, uneven terrain - then you should get it. If your driving is almost all on paved or maintained roads and you are only using it occasionally when the highways are snowy/icy, then I wouldn't spend the money on it. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
DHMag

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only downfall is it's a manual electric locking. My Colorado had auto electric locking

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the reply's all. My last truck was 4x4 F-150 w/o e lock diff and I never encountered any issues in snow or off road. Actually I don't recall ever hearing about e lock diffs until building this Ranger. In my former job i did a lot of my off road driving in conditions such as snow, sand, gravel, and mud and traversing very steep ramps. But I believe with that truck when one wheel would spin it would stop and the other side would pull, limited slip. In my online research it looks like an open diff doesn't act that way, but i'm not exactly sure what's different. Thats my concern. Granted I won't be doing that type of off road driving anymore I still may adventure out on occasion and just want to make sure i'm covered.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
For the most part the truck has a rather advanced electronic traction control system that with the exception of some extreme off road conditions should be more than adequate.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I appreciate the reply's all. My last truck was 4x4 F-150 w/o e lock diff and I never encountered any issues in snow or off road. Actually I don't recall ever hearing about e lock diffs until building this Ranger. In my former job i did a lot of my off road driving in conditions such as snow, sand, gravel, and mud and traversing very steep ramps. But I believe with that truck when one wheel would spin it would stop and the other side would pull, limited slip. In my online research it looks like an open diff doesn't act that way, but i'm not exactly sure what's different. Thats my concern. Granted I won't be doing that type of off road driving anymore I still may adventure out on occasion and just want to make sure i'm covered.
Your truck likely had a manual locker built into the rear wheel hubs. Drove an older SuperDuty (work) that we would have to manually lock the rear diff by twisting the lock caps. The E-Locker just means you don't have to get out of your vehicle.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Your truck likely had a manual locker built into the rear wheel hubs. Drove an older SuperDuty (work) that we would have to manually lock the rear diff by twisting the lock caps. The E-Locker just means you don't have to get out of your vehicle.
Your explanation is completely incorrect. Locking the hubs is for the front axle. An open differential causes you to stop in your tracks. When one wheel spins (on the same axle) you stop. A locking differential splits the torque between the two wheels.
Eaton's G80 locking differential uses centrifugal force to activate. An E-locker uses a button to activate.
A limited slip differential uses friction caused by clutch plates slipping until the plates reach the same speed. The easiest explanation is a bowl of cake batter with a spoon in it. When you 1st put the ingredients in, they are soupy and it's easy to hold the bowl. As the mixture thickens, you have to hold the bowl with more force or it will spin in the direction of the stirring spoon.

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone explain to me why this type of differential exists? I see no benefit. My thinking is why would a manufacture even put this type diff in a vehicle when it is useless is slippery conditions? To me it almost sounds dangerous. I couldn't imagine not having the e-locker in the 4x2 Ranger.

OP
OP
DHMag

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone explain to me why this type of differential exists? I see no benefit. My thinking is why would a manufacture even put this type diff in a vehicle when it is useless is slippery conditions? To me it almost sounds dangerous. I couldn't imagine not having the e-locker in the 4x2 Ranger.
An open diff has been around for a very long time. Its more suited for everyday road vehicles. If you've driven a RWD vehicle in the past 50 years, more often than not, it had an open diff.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
A locking diff costs more money and it isn't necessary for everyone. If you are driving your truck to the grocery store for milk and ice cream and daily drive it to pick up the kids from school then a locking diff is pretty much useless.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered 2WD with locking diff, mainly for slick boat ramps.
Sponsored