P0496 EVAP System High Purge Flow

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Has anyone had this code come up before? My check engine light came on about three weeks ago with it, so I reset it and drove on. It came on again this past weekend with the same code so I guess I will have to give the dealer a call.

Just curious if it’s something common or not, nothing came up while searching.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had this code come up before? My check engine light came on about three weeks ago with it, so I reset it and drove on. It came on again this past weekend with the same code so I guess I will have to give the dealer a call.

Just curious if it’s something common or not, nothing came up while searching.
Hi Adam,

I believe there is a tread on the purge system but what and how to get to it remains problematic to me. Another forum member uses google and incorporates 5G in the search to produce results. I agree...hate to have the dealer involved, but probably best to get their help...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi Adam,

I believe there is a tread on the purge system but what and how to get to it remains problematic to me. Another forum member uses google and incorporates 5G in the search to produce results. I agree...hate to have the dealer involved, but probably best to get their help...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, I’ll try searching that way. I don’t mind getting the dealer involved... just a pain as there isn’t one in my town, the town I work in or in between. I booked it in for next Wednesday so we will see what they find!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Simple fix. I took the truck in yesterday, all that was required was a PCM update and all is good!
pcm update = 30 secs to clear the code and hope it doesn't return , sweetheart of a dealer.

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pcm update = 30 secs to clear the code and hope it doesn't return , sweetheart of a dealer.
Hope there was more to it then that, they did reference a TSB that matches the original code and that a PCM update is required. I've never heard anything bad about this dealership so will give them another shot!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Hope there was more to it then that, they did reference a TSB that matches the original code and that a PCM update is required. I've never heard anything bad about this dealership so will give them another shot!
yeah easy to be judgmental with respect to dealers as they are largely compelled to follow Ford's procedures - but IIRC those evap systems do self testing cycles and require the vehicle to be operated for a certain period of time and instances before a CEL is triggered - so if the dealer doesn't do that the CEL can light up days later when the test cycles are completed. Should that be the case it's not ideal for the owner to experience as they leave thinking problem is fixed.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Well, I hope the second times fixes it. I dealt with dealers for over 30 years when I was working and sometimes it takes 2 or even more attempts. Hope it is only 2.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I hope the second times fixes it. I dealt with dealers for over 30 years when I was working and sometimes it takes 2 or even more attempts. Hope it is only 2.
Hi Chuck,

My philosophy on Ranger was to get it right the first time and every time...keep the customer out of the dealer from the get go... It did not always work, but did most itmes...we spent time doing it right and making sure it was right on every vehicle as best we could....I held the supply base to this too and you know...the responded. Not the same now it would appear. Hopefully Hau Thia Tang can get Ford back on track.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Phil, too bad things have changed since you left. I agree that they need to turn it around.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Just a curious thought, I had a Chrysler that would give me CEL codes for various things whenever it rained, from O2 to not being able to actually detect the ECU... dealer could not ever (and I don’t blame them) find where the wire(s) was/were shorting out. Either way it really would only sometimes make the car run rich, but after resetting the CEL myself or allowing the car to dry out it would have to go through what the dealer told me was a drive cycle (actually had to go through 4 or more) which was basically a start up, a drive of over 15km and sometimes exceeding 100km/h. Maybe Phill knows but do the rangers have a similar drive cycle programming? I was told it’s so the ECU can actually decide if the fault is fixed or if there is a fault with the fault detection system...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just a curious thought, I had a Chrysler that would give me CEL codes for various things whenever it rained, from O2 to not being able to actually detect the ECU... dealer could not ever (and I don’t blame them) find where the wire(s) was/were shorting out. Either way it really would only sometimes make the car run rich, but after resetting the CEL myself or allowing the car to dry out it would have to go through what the dealer told me was a drive cycle (actually had to go through 4 or more) which was basically a start up, a drive of over 15km and sometimes exceeding 100km/h. Maybe Phill knows but do the rangers have a similar drive cycle programming? I was told it’s so the ECU can actually decide if the fault is fixed or if there is a fault with the fault detection system...
Hi Tyler,

I do not know the specifics of these calibrations. It has developed much beyond my tenure at Ford. I can offer that Ford has a philosophy to light a MIL (malfunction light) when the problem is "real" and not alarmist only. How the software does this is likely beyond the dealer for the most part. When you have CEL in specific conditions, it is most likely software related or electrical connector related. Both of which are very hard to diagnose. Most of the time, to have to have 4 drive cycles sounds like BS to me. Maybe true but not likely. Fix it...no CEL. Not 4 cycles later...

Problem I see is that as the electronic systems become more complex, diagnosis becomes more difficult. There are few faults that solve themselves when the vehicle "drys out" that will not recur.
A circuit inspection of the wiring and connectors is in order.

Way back when I first was on these forums, there was a fellow with a electrical problem and the Dealer replaces modules etc. I told him it was a connector problem and with his insistence, the dealer found a connector C378 (if I recall correctly was not "clicked home".) I think you have a intermittent connector problem and maybe the connector needs to be replaced to seal properly

Good luck in you solution but it is probably simple but hard to find.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t get on here much any more, but just thought I better stop by and give an update.

After the light came on the second time I made an appointment about a week away. The weekend before the appointment I had the truck out and the light went out, so I cancelled the appointment. A week after that it came back on and was able to make an appointment the next day. After the tech investigated further he discovered the problem was the fuel tank pressure sensor... sort of. It wasn’t the truck’s fault, the tube/port that reads atmospheric pressure was plugged/clogged with undercoating. They weren’t able to clean it so it was replaced and all is well again.

I talked to a few people and found out it’s a common problem with Escapes and the Ranger uses a similar fuel tank pressure sensor system. They said they can usually be cleaned when plugged but the best way to prevent it is to tell whoever is spraying your truck to avoid the area or be very conservative with the product on the top of the fuel tank.
Sponsored