Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've had that concern too. So far I've opted for allowing some outside air in but manufacturers claim you don't need to.
Do you have a link?
Sponsored

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have a link?
I don't have a particular link, but I had a very long email conversation with the technical support person at Diode Dynamics last month. Most of that conversation was regarding fitment issues, because I wanted to buy their H11 bulbs but there were ongoing fitment issues with the Ranger. Eventually, they took the bulbs off of their Ranger page and are no longer recommending them.

As part of that conversation, though, we also talked about heat dissipation and he mentioned that their bulbs are designed to be able to work in the closed environment of the headlight housing with the normal dust covers re-installed. Of course, that doesn't mean that all manufacturers will claim the same thing, they may all say different things, but at least Diode Dynamics claims that they don't.

In either case, there will be a trade-off between having outside air for better cooling and long-term buildup of dirt, which can also reduce the cooling efficiency. My plan is to let the bulbs be exposed to outside air, but then take them out every few years, assuming they last that long, and clean them with electronics cleaner.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a particular link, but I had a very long email conversation with the technical support person at Diode Dynamics last month. Most of that conversation was regarding fitment issues, because I wanted to buy their H11 bulbs but there were ongoing fitment issues with the Ranger. Eventually, they took the bulbs off of their Ranger page and are no longer recommending them.

As part of that conversation, though, we also talked about heat dissipation and he mentioned that their bulbs are designed to be able to work in the closed environment of the headlight housing with the normal dust covers re-installed. Of course, that doesn't mean that all manufacturers will claim the same thing, they may all say different things, but at least Diode Dynamics claims that they don't.

In either case, there will be a trade-off between having outside air for better cooling and long-term buildup of dirt, which can also reduce the cooling efficiency. My plan is to let the bulbs be exposed to outside air, but then take them out every few years, assuming they last that long, and clean them with electronics cleaner.
That's very interesting. During the design of our MACK Anthem LED head lamps, development suppliers expressed great regarding winter cold temperatures and the LEDs were not producing the needed heat to keep the lamps from freezing over. However, the integrated heat sinks (which are large) would be a viable source of energy and fans were considered to distributed the warm air within the sealed lamp cavity. I live in the south were we don't experience extreme cold but I wonder how people with LED conversions would deal with freezing issues. Perhaps having them contained (as in your case) would solve that problem to some degree.

Be interesting to follow up with northerners who have LED conversion bring this up during the deep freeze this winter?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It can definitely be hard when you have a lot of irons in the fire!

The end result for me is that after the very long conversation with Diode Dynamics, where we decided that the Ranger just isn't the best fitment for their current products, I went with another mid-tier brand that ended up installing pretty easily. They work reasonably well, with a reasonable beam pattern and a decent cutoff for the low beams.

For the low beams, the original dust covers still don't fit, so instead of trying to mod them with a dremel tool, I have gone with these for now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q9D52Z/

I'll keep an eye open for newer models from Diode Dynamics, and possibly upgrade when they have something that is a good fitment.
How did these covers work out? Do you have a pic of the installation?

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
That's very interesting. During the design of our MACK Anthem LED head lamps, development suppliers expressed great regarding winter cold temperatures and the LEDs were not producing the needed heat to keep the lamps from freezing over. However, the integrated heat sinks (which are large) would be a viable source of energy and fans were considered to distributed the warm air within the sealed lamp cavity. I live in the south were we don't experience extreme cold but I wonder how people with LED conversions would deal with freezing issues. Perhaps having them contained (as in your case) would solve that problem to some degree.

Be interesting to follow up with northerners who have LED conversion bring this up during the deep freeze this winter?
That's an interesting point. It's possible that the desirability of the closed environment might be dependent on the location and climate. We live in an intermediate climate in Northern CA in the eastern Sierra. Our winter temps get into the low single digits, but only rarely below zero. We have a different brand of LED headlamps in our '93 Ranger (Hikari "ultimates"), and due to the nature of the older headlight enclosure, there wasn't much choice other than to have the heatsinks exposed to the inside of the engine compartment. I didn't notice any reduction of light output last winter, so it seems like at least single-digit temperatures don't seem to have much of an effect. It will be interesting to know if that's different farther north where the temps can be another 20 deg. colder.

How did these covers work out? Do you have a pic of the installation?
I bought them, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to install them yet. I ended up focusing on some other things like air bags for the rear suspension and getting our camper moved over from the old truck. My plan is to install them so that the heatsink is exposed to the engine compartment, as they show in the pics on Amazon. After looking at them, it also seems there's no reason you can't turn them around and install them over the heatsinks so that the heatsinks are inside, similar to the original dust covers. You would just have to close the hole with a small piece of rubber or plastic, or even leave the hole so there can be some air exchange with the outside. They seem nice in that you can try both configurations.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's an interesting point. It's possible that the desirability of the closed environment might be dependent on the location and climate. We live in an intermediate climate in Northern CA in the eastern Sierra. Our winter temps get into the low single digits, but only rarely below zero. We have a different brand of LED headlamps in our '93 Ranger (Hikari "ultimates"), and due to the nature of the older headlight enclosure, there wasn't much choice other than to have the heatsinks exposed to the inside of the engine compartment. I didn't notice any reduction of light output last winter, so it seems like at least single-digit temperatures don't seem to have much of an effect. It will be interesting to know if that's different farther north where the temps can be another 20 deg. colder.

I bought them, but unfortunately I haven't had the time to install them yet. I ended up focusing on some other things like air bags for the rear suspension and getting our camper moved over from the old truck. My plan is to install them so that the heatsink is exposed to the engine compartment, as they show in the pics on Amazon. After looking at them, it also seems there's no reason you can't turn them around and install them over the heatsinks so that the heatsinks are inside, similar to the original dust covers. You would just have to close the hole with a small piece of rubber or plastic, or even leave the hole so there can be some air exchange with the outside. They seem nice in that you can try both configurations.
Sounds good and please do give me shout when you get around to installing them:)

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds good and please do give me shout when you get around to installing them:)
I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'll post when I get around to it.

Pandamotorworks Troy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Focus ST, 19 Edge ST, 19 Ranger
Last edited:

Pandamotorworks Troy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
SS3 Light Pod Pre-Order is now LIVE!

Head on over to https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...ts/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2019-ford-ranger to reserve your Diode Dynamics SS3 Light Pods today!

2019 Ranger Fog light replacement kit.

We are offering 20% off on pre order with code "Diode20".
Hmm, was getting close to pulling the trigger on a couple of Diode Dynamics 6" light bars. Maybe should take a look at these, they might integrate a little better.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase

Pandamotorworks Troy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, was getting close to pulling the trigger on a couple of Diode Dynamics 6" light bars. Maybe should take a look at these, they might integrate a little better.
Yes they will and they put out crazy amounts of light

Just purchased! Looking forward to getting these!
Awesome thank you for the purchace! Cant wait to see more of these awesome kits out in the wild.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Panda guys...how's the LED conversion bulb cover coming along? I'm waiting for these before going into dusty off roads:)

OP
OP
PandaMotorworks

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
Hi Panda guys...how's the LED conversion bulb cover coming along? I'm waiting for these before going into dusty off roads:)
Its very close! We have also been told by other customers that if you rotate the collar on the bulb, it will sit differently and allow the dust cap to fit.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
same tho, but been on some dusty off roads and haven't had anything get in there yet...
Its very close! We have also been told by other customers that if you rotate the collar on the bulb, it will sit differently and allow the dust cap to fit.
Really? I tried so many different rotations and couldn't get it to fit. I wonder how their rotations look. Would love more insight on that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.