Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
Hi All,

So my Ranger CC in Cactus Gray is currently on order with the Blue Oval, and I've got my fingers crossed that I might have it in my driveway by late summer. In the meantime, I've been trying to figure out what add-ons I want to get for it when it arrives. Currently, I'm planning on Maxliner floor trays, a console organizer, a ball hitch, running boards, an AMP bed extender, a spray-in Line-X bedliner, and (of course) a tailgate damper. (Y'all gave me a lot of great recommendations in a previous thread here.)

Originally, I wasn't interested in a bed cover, but the more I've read about them, researched them, and considered my likely needs once the truck gets here, I'm starting to lean toward getting a rolling one. I like the idea of having covered storage for short trips, and I'd also like to preserve my bedliner color as long as I can. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the TruXedo Lo Pro, the Access Lorado, or maybe the BAK X2 or X4 if I go for something a bit sturdier. If I do get a cover, I'm realizing that I'll have three components (cover, bedliner, and extender) that might interact in unexpected ways. I'm definitely going Line-X for the liner, and I'm still deciding on the AMP extender model. So, based on all of this, here are are a few questions I've got:

-Would the AMP Sport be the best choice to keep the extender out of the way of the cover, or would the Max model be okay, too?

-Do any of the covers I mentioned above work particularly well (or, perhaps more importantly, particularly not well) with the Line X liner?

-What would you recommend as the best order of operations for installing these three things? I'm assuming that the bedliner has to come first, though I've read about some of the holes getting plugged with the liner material and needing tapped before the extender and/or cover can be installed. Would putting the necessary bolts in place before the liner's sprayed on keep me from having to tap the holes later, or would it just create new problems?

-I feel like I always ask this question, but given how little I know about these sorts of things (or at least how little experience I have with them), I'll ask it again: given what I'm describing, is there anything I need to know that I appear not to know? :)

-Finally, any experiences (good or bad) with any of the cover brands/models I mentioned? Is there a much better one for the CC Ranger that I'm not considering?

As always, thanks for any info or recs. Maybe by the time the truck gets here, I'll know what I want to do. (At least until y'all convince me that I need to do twelve other things.) :)

-Chris
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Hi Chris. Only thing I can say is I used a thread chaser (M8, from Amazon) to clean out the threads. If you had a tap (I didn't) then that would work too, but not knowing about it I was worried a tap may cause some damage. The chaser worked for me.

I bought the gator tri fold soft top because it is easy to remove quickly. The roll up seems to also fit that bill. I think I will add some weatherstrip to the gate to help keep out dust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN5QG8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...spray-in-liner-removal-from-bolt-holes.13013/

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Hi Chris. Only thing I can say is I used a thread chaser (M8, from Amazon) to clean out the threads. If you had a tap (I didn't) then that would work too, but not knowing about it I was worried a tap may cause some damage. The chaser worked for me.

I bought the gator tri fold soft top because it is easy to remove quickly. The roll up seems to also fit that bill. I think I will add some weatherstrip to the gate to help keep out dust.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN5QG8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...spray-in-liner-removal-from-bolt-holes.13013/
Oh. I forgot that I also added a bedrug mat. I like it. The few times I used the truck without the mat, stuff slid around and banged into the bed. No damage, but it could. Haven't hauled with the mat yet, but it is better on the knees. I would recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ8M32R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've not purchased a bed cover yet. But when I had my Line-X installed I asked them to make sure all the bolt holes were left open should I need them. When it was done it looked to me they did. I think they plugged them when they sprayed in the liner and then removed the plugs. So just make sure to ask them to do the same.

Also I asked them about installing a bed cover and concerns about leaking. They told me if I bought a cover through them and had it installed it would come with a guarantee as well. They do more than just installing bed liners and gave me a catalog. So that might be something worth looking into. It would certainly cost a bit more than buying one yourself and installing it but the guarantee might be worth it. If I finally decide on a cover I'll probably go through my local Line-X shop.

As a first time truck owner I was really impressed with the work they did. Of course not all shops are the same so your mileage may vary.

Edit: Also since you said you are doing Line-X also ask them not to put the tag with their brand on the liner and the sticker in your window. Unless you want that. They seem to do that automatically. That was my only complaint but it was an easy fix to remove it.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've not purchased a bed cover yet. But when I had my Line-X installed I asked them to make sure all the bolt holes were left open should I need them. When it was done it looked to me they did. I think they plugged them when they sprayed in the liner and then removed the plugs. So just make sure to ask them to do the same.

Also I asked them about installing a bed cover and concerns about leaking. They told me if I bought a cover through them and had it installed it would come with a guarantee as well. They do more than just installing bed liners and gave me a catalog. So that might be something worth looking into. It would certainly cost a bit more than buying one yourself and installing it but the guarantee might be worth it. If I finally decide on a cover I'll probably go through my local Line-X shop.

As a first time truck owner I was really impressed with the work they did. Of course not all shops are the same so your mileage may vary.

Edit: Also since you said you are doing Line-X also ask them not to put the tag with their brand on the liner and the sticker in your window. Unless you want that. They seem to do that automatically. That was my only complaint but it was an easy fix to remove it.

Hi Mark,

Smart move! That said, I would recommend chasing the threads in any hole with either the 6 x 1.00 or 8 x1.25 tap...these are inexpensive items and hopefully you can twist them by hand to ensure the holes are free and clear. You can chuck the tap into a drill motor and tighten the chuck...then by hand rotate the chuck for more leverage....do not power the drill motor...use by hand. I made my own tool for this sort of thing and amazing how much I use it in the shop.

drillchuck.jpg

Also use it with a countersink deburring tool on the back side of drilled holes in metal or for a chamfer on holes.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Chris, my experience with a roll up cover was iffy at best. I'm not saying the quality was bad. It was of excellent quality, and the workmanship of the stitching was above and beyond. My problem was it was a pain to unsnap, and roll the thing up every time I wanted to use the bed. Then, if it was cold it was near impossible to get the cover to stretch enough to get the snaps in place on top of the tailgate. That wasn't the fault of the company, it was just the nature of the vinyl. There were times in the winter it had to go unsnapped until we had a nice sunny day to warm the material up. This being on my previous truck, if I decide on a bed cover for my Ranger it will definitely be some type of tri-fold. Just something for you to think about.

Congratulation on the new Ranger. I know you will enjoy the truck, and I hope it shows up soon.
Sponsored