First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
I've always used these on my past v8 cars, but haven't put one on a turbo 4 banger. Does anyone run one? I've searched all over youtube for a sound clip of what it would sound like on a 4 cylinder Ecoboost but can't find anything.

For $33 I might just give it a try. The ones I always used were the plain old Summit Turbos. They are 2.5" all the way through (versus other makes/models with smaller internals) and according to Engine Masters on Motor Trend, they flow the best.

Any thoughts?

mufflers.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It would be interesting especially if it brings more power availability to the table. For sound I would look it up on a 4 cylinder turbo. The EcoBoost is its own animal but still similar enough.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Isn't the turbo muffler design usually 2 180° turns before it exits? Not very good for flow. Straight through is usually best.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Isn't the turbo muffler design usually 2 180° turns before it exits? Not very good for flow. Straight through is usually best.
If you look at most Turbo mufflers they still have fairly good flow especially when you compare to stock. Compared to a true strait through you are correct and it will not flow as good but will still have good performance characteristics.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've always used these on my past v8 cars, but haven't put one on a turbo 4 banger. Does anyone run one? I've searched all over youtube for a sound clip of what it would sound like on a 4 cylinder Ecoboost but can't find anything.

For $33 I might just give it a try. The ones I always used were the plain old Summit Turbos. They are 2.5" all the way through (versus other makes/models with smaller internals) and according to Engine Masters on Motor Trend, they flow the best.

Any thoughts?

mufflers.jpg
I had a 3" Dynomax Super Turbo like this one installed on mine and left the stock resonator on as well. With much better flow than stock and it's about as silent as a mouse fart. On a cold start the truck has nice deep and smooth mellow tone to it then drops silent as the engine rolls to normal idle. In town driving is perfectly fine and no hint of obnoxiousness like some sport mufflers out there. When getting on it when driving through an underpass or parking garage produces an even deeper and smooth exhaust note that's not too loud and doesn't cause car alarms to freak out. At freeway speeds you can just barely hear it and actually accentuates the artificial engine noise. I added a 4" X 12" exhaust tip and if anything it made it the exhaust note even deeper but not any louder, making you think it's something much larger than a 2.3L I4 producing that sound.

Even the Wife-O-Meter falls well below the nag about it being too loud or headache inducing bars. So that's a plus. :thumbsup:

All in all definitely worth it if you want better flow, but none of the associated noise with most of the straight through performance mufflers.

They are designed this way, but DynoMax has internal flow directors that the others do not show to have. Not sure how much they help, but it's patented so hey, why not...

landing_st_main.jpg

Last edited:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I have always been a Honda fan (dont hate me), and the Dynomax Superturbo has always been a cheap and great flowing muffler. Just make sure to use a good resonator that long enough.. it can get raspy/fart can sounding without one. thats long enough

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I left the stock one installed in the factory location and there's absolutely no raspy/fart can sound to it at all.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I had a 3" Dynomax Super Turbo like this one installed on mine and left the stock resonator on as well. With much better flow than stock and it's about as silent as a mouse fart. On a cold start the truck has nice deep and smooth mellow tone to it then drops silent as the engine rolls to normal idle. In town driving is perfectly fine and no hint of obnoxiousness like some sport mufflers out there. When getting on it when driving through an underpass or parking garage produces an even deeper and smooth exhaust note that's not too loud and doesn't cause car alarms to freak out. At freeway speeds you can just barely hear it and actually accentuates the artificial engine noise. I added a 4" X 12" exhaust tip and if anything it made it the exhaust note even deeper but not any louder, making you think it's something much larger than a 2.3L I4 producing that sound.

Even the Wife-O-Meter falls well below the nag about it being too loud or headache inducing bars. So that's a plus. :thumbsup:

All in all definitely worth it if you want better flow, but none of the associated noise with most of the straight through performance mufflers.

They are designed this way, but DynoMax has internal flow directors that the others do not show to have. Not sure how much they help, but it's patented so hey, why not...

landing_st_main.jpg
Straight through is still better than multiple turns. My Gibson is a straight through and just a little louder than stock.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Straight through is still better than multiple turns. My Gibson is a straight through and just a little louder than stock.
That they are. While I have not heard the Gibson mufflers, it's just been my experience that most straight through designs out there tend to be be noticeably louder than stock. Case in point after researching options I tried the Borla Pro XS muffler because it's listed as one of the most quiet models they make with near stock level sound. While it was relatively quiet on surface streets it was surprisingly loud with a high level of drone at freeway speeds that cause the wife to make a comment about it. Thus the Dynomax Super Turbo was installed. I'm sure if I had a large resonator installed before the muffler it would have helped, but I wanted to keep the exhaust as close to stock as possible.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
That they are. While I have not heard the Gibson mufflers, it's just been my experience that most straight through designs out there tend to be be noticeably louder than stock. Case in point after researching options I tried the Borla Pro XS muffler because it's listed as one of the most quiet models they make with near stock level sound. While it was relatively quiet on surface streets it was surprisingly loud with a high level of drone at freeway speeds that cause the wife to make a comment about it. Thus the Dynomax Super Turbo was installed. I'm sure if I had a large resonator installed before the muffler it would have helped, but I wanted to keep the exhaust as close to stock as possible.
Watch my video and everyone else's reviews.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score