oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I've been meaning to do a build journal for my build since joining since I find them so informative and interesting. I'm a '19 Ranger owner living in Southern California. Vehicle was purchased at the very end of January '19. My family tends to do a lot of hiking, backpacking, and camping throughout the year, including towing our offroad teardrop trailer. We also enjoy mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, surfing, and stand-up paddleboarding but after having our first child in March '18, we've been opting to do more baby/toddler friendly outdoor activities together. We also own a home in Mammoth Lakes, California, a ski/mtb/fishing town in the California Sierras, so the Ranger will see a lot of snow action as well.

My vision for the Ranger is to have a purpose built vehicle for outdoor recreation without having to worry if the truck can make it wherever we want to go or wether or not it can accomodate whatever we have planned for that day. I'm hoping to keep this truck long term and the good Lord willing, it will see my little girl through High School :rockon:

Looking forward to any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or questions that any of you may have!

From the Dealership
501A Group Package
Sport Package
FX4 Package
Tow Package
18" Wheels w/Magnetic Pockets
OEM Running Boards (Black)

Current Mods as of January 3, 2020
POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN / ENGINE
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS:
WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES:
EXTERIOR:
ELECTRONICS / LIGHTING:
RACKS / CARGO:
MISC ACCESORIES:

Planned Future Mods:
  • Winch
  • Bumpers

Possible Future Mods:
  • Upgraded Leaf Springs/Pack to replace rear blocks (Ikon/Deaver/??)

First Photo:
Photo Jan 26, 2 26 35 PM (1).jpg

Freshly Washed January 1, 2020:
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 28 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 41 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 31 02 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 11 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 34 31 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 22 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 29 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 55 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 08 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 31 57 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 05 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 57 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 16 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 20 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 32 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 37 21 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 36 25 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 36 50 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 37 05 AM.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
How do you like those Baja designs fog lights? I’ve been eyeing those.

OP
OP
oggvorbis

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like those Baja designs fog lights? I’ve been eyeing those.
They're great, I'm glad I went with them. Install was pretty easy, about a 2 out of 5. Don't know if the price difference between the Pro and Sports are worth it for everyone, but when I was driving during a snow storm in the mountains over Thanksgiving, I was glad I had them. Beam pattern and amber lens are perfect for fogs.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Beautiful truck, I love those wheels!

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
Badass truck!

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
They're great, I'm glad I went with them. Install was pretty easy, about a 2 out of 5. Don't know if the price difference between the Pro and Sports are worth it for everyone, but when I was driving during a snow storm in the mountains over Thanksgiving, I was glad I had them. Beam pattern and amber lens are perfect for fogs.
Yeah I dont know if I’m baller enough for the pro’s, but the sports are more in line with my budget. I just want a better fog light.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Beautiful truck man, I had up to the Sierra and Mammoth almost every month, hope so see you up there sometime !

OP
OP
oggvorbis

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful truck man, I had up to the Sierra and Mammoth almost every month, hope so see you up there sometime !
Yeah man. We’ve been definitely been seeing a lot more Rangers in Bishop and Mammoth lately! We’ll be up this weekend for the ski resort pass holder breakfast. Hope to see you around!

Hey I saw that you were able to get a 285/70/17 tire in the spare wheel well. Was that on the the stock spare rim? Any issues at all or things I should know about it? I’ll probably try and do the same soon.

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Yeah man. We’ve been definitely been seeing a lot more Rangers in Bishop and Mammoth lately! We’ll be up this weekend for the ski resort pass holder breakfast. Hope to see you around!

Hey I saw that you were able to get a 285/70/17 tire in the spare wheel well. Was that on the the stock spare rim? Any issues at all or things I should know about it? I’ll probably try and do the same soon.
Aw man, i was just up there, came back down today. Yeah, I fit an extra 285/70/17 on the stock spare, it has enough wiggle to just fit. Might get another full rim to just avoid having to shuffle a flat in an emergency though. Getting a 5th wheel on the spare was mostly a test to see if it would fit. I would only mount in on the rear wheels in an emergency though. Getting a high lift hydraulic jack and with the sliders, it'll be a pain but doable in an emergency.

I'll be back up the weekend of the 23-25 with some friends.

PS the trails are deceptive. There's some good 18-24 inches of really soft pow below the crust. Good times though. Have a great weekend up there.

Mike

20200107_132038.jpg

20200107_194649.jpg

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
How is the ride difference after doing to the king suspension upgrades? Just wondering the feel. Thanks. Great truck.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I've been meaning to do a build journal for my build since joining since I find them so informative and interesting. I'm a '19 Ranger owner living in Southern California. Vehicle was purchased at the very end of January '19. My family tends to do a lot of hiking, backpacking, and camping throughout the year, including towing our offroad teardrop trailer. We also enjoy mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, surfing, and stand-up paddleboarding but after having our first child in March '18, we've been opting to do more baby/toddler friendly outdoor activities together. We also own a home in Mammoth Lakes, California, a ski/mtb/fishing town in the California Sierras, so the Ranger will see a lot of snow action as well.

My vision for the Ranger is to have a purpose built vehicle for outdoor recreation without having to worry if the truck can make it wherever we want to go or wether or not it can accomodate whatever we have planned for that day. I'm hoping to keep this truck long term and the good Lord willing, it will see my little girl through High School :rockon:

Looking forward to any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or questions that any of you may have!

From the Dealership
501A Group Package
Sport Package
FX4 Package
Tow Package
18" Wheels w/Magnetic Pockets
OEM Running Boards (Black)

Current Mods as of January 3, 2020
POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN / ENGINE
SUSPENSION / CHASSIS:
WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES:
EXTERIOR:
ELECTRONICS / LIGHTING:
RACKS / CARGO:
MISC ACCESORIES:

Planned Future Mods:

Possible Future Mods:

First Photo:
Photo Jan 26, 2 26 35 PM (1).jpg

Freshly Washed January 1, 2020:
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 28 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 41 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 31 02 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 11 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 34 31 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 22 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 29 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 29 55 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 30 08 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 31 57 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 05 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 57 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 32 16 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 20 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 33 32 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 37 21 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 36 25 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 36 50 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 01, 11 37 05 AM.jpg
BOOM! You need to join the money pit thread...I think you take the win at least in the over $10K club:like:

OP
OP
oggvorbis

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How is the ride difference after doing to the king suspension upgrades? Just wondering the feel. Thanks. Great truck.
I'd say the on-road ride experience compared to stock would be comparable to as what most people would expect and have said regarding upgrading their coilovers and rear shocks with a comparably priced 2.5" shock body setup, wether it be these Kings, the Icons, or Foxs. I've only ever had Kings on this truck, so I can't comment or say which is best or better between them.

Compared to stock, it's a much more firm and controlled ride without being harsh. Rear is much more planted and not at all bouncy. Can take turns and curves much faster and with more confidence.

Where it really shines is obviously off-road. On uneven, bumpy, washboard type roads the truck really handles it well and seems to just float right over them. Took a long partially snow covered backroad to some hot springs this weekend and couldn't help but smile on the way up. Could have easily driven up the road very fast and could really feel the off-road race pedigree.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say the on-road ride experience compared to stock would be comparable to as what most people would expect and have said regarding upgrading their coilovers and rear shocks with a comparably priced 2.5" shock body setup, wether it be these Kings, the Icons, or Foxs. I've only ever had Kings on this truck, so I can't comment or say which is best or better between them.

Compared to stock, it's a much more firm and controlled ride without being harsh. Rear is much more planted and not at all bouncy. Can take turns and curves much faster and with more confidence.

Where it really shines is obviously off-road. On uneven, bumpy, washboard type roads the truck really handles it well and seems to just float right over them. Took a long partially snow covered backroad to some hot springs this weekend and couldn't help but smile on the way up. Could have easily driven up the road very fast and could really feel the off-road race pedigree.
sounds like a sales pitch I’m buying. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
oggvorbis

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BOOM! You need to join the money pit thread...I think you take the win at least in the over $10K club:like:
I saw that thread when it was first posted and the MSRP of the mods added to the truck definitely puts me in that last group. This stuff really adds up over time :crackup: Thankfully a lot of the mod vendors are nearby here in Southern California and I was able to use the truck for fit testing/R&D for quite a few of em. Some were free, some were deeply discounted. Having a new Ranger in January '19 has a few perks, but those end of year dealer discounts and incentives sure look nice, so I guess it ends up a wash.

The majority of the misc accessories are from previous vehicles, as well as the thule rack, so I guess it's not too bad.
Sponsored

Last edited: