Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
5k miles since I bought it in December. Probably a little fudged since I have upsized tires, but less than 1mph at 75, so meh.

Perks:
The handling is fantastic.

The drivetrain is a joy.

It functions as a fantastic truck.

I smile just about everytime I look at it.

Complaints:
The HVAC is anemic as hell. If you split the fan, even full blast, I struggle to feel anything out of the vent. That is generally caused by a shit ton of turbulence in the ducting, so, that's not great design. Probably better in upgraded models. But I've also had it go out on me, dealer replace a part, that one break, replace again, now its making noise again so that one is gonna break again, all of which again, points towards trash HVAC design. No part should fail 3 times in a month from regular usage.

The ride is SUPER bouncy. I'm considering the Fox Performance kit, just to help smooth it out on a highway. Not even talking off road, I hit a tiny bump, bounce bounce bounce

Fit and finish are pretty freaking terrible, but its a Ford, so pretty much expected that.

I average 18mpg, and I can't get it higher. In 2020, there is no goddamn reason to be getting 18mpg on a new truck. None, except greed. I totally concede that I love the turbo, and a lot of it is probably due to driving habits, I also upsized my tire slightly and put on 120lb rock sliders. But I've tried to hypermile the thing, doesn't care, maybe gets 19mpg.

Overall, the negatives don't outweigh the positives, and I love my truck. Just wish it wasn't such an outdated relic when it comes to fuel consumption, hvac, or interior design in general.

I hear ya on the HVAC...horrible. Mine is the same way when I split the fan for defrost and on my feet...literally feels like an asthmatic chain smoker of 25 years is blowing on my feet...I need to get mine in for service and have them check out the HVAC. Other than that, I love driving this truck!
Sponsored

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
That's a big price difference I agree. What area / state u in? Out here in upper midwest..Ohio/Michigan where I spend most my days..I utilize ONLY 93 premium of various tier 1 brands an pay as of late around $2.70 its remarkable how much fuel prices change in various markets / regions of US. God bless & keep Ford Truckin!
I hear ya on the HVAC...horrible. Mine is the same way when I split the fan for defrost and on my feet...literally feels like an asthmatic chain smoker of 25 years is blowing on my feet...I need to get mine in for service and have them check out the HVAC. Other than that, I love driving this truck!
I agree with ya on some but def not all you said! The fit/finish is far from terrible as you say ..an many reviews by reputable internet sources confirm this. I have a black exterior XLT FX4 crew cab . I've owned euro & jap vehicles as well but we only buy Ford trucks precisely for the build quality/engineering & reliability. The paint has been very good on my truck as well actually. I had a ceramic sealant professionally applied in Dec (before winter mos) an the detailer remarked the paint was very even.. shiny & deep in contrast. I had to agree. 6mos into ownership an my only complaint is really why no lighted mirror in visors my fiance asks esp for $44k sticker price. Keep Ford truckin folks! Side note.. beware the trolling from Tacoma world ppl or worse paid shills. Weve seen a few on here. They are very insecure seemingly & worried i guess cause these new Rangers are just so good! Weird times folks.

Last edited:

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
That's a big price difference I agree. What area / state u in? Out here in upper midwest..Ohio/Michigan where I spend most my days..I utilize ONLY 93 premium of various tier 1 brands an pay
I agree with ya on most but def not all you said! The fit/finish is far from terrible as you say. I have a black exterior XLT FX4 crew cab . I've owned euro & jap vehicles as well but only buy G
Probably better on the higher end trims. Almost none of the plastic pieces in the interior of my XL fit perfectly, and are all of the cheapest possible material they could find, the vinyl floor is bubbly and lose, the gap in the tailgate on either side is hilariously large, the plastic material the handles and mirrors are made out of is already fading after 2 months, there's lots of tiny little seams everywhere that will just accumulate crud.

Last car was a Subaru Crosstrek Premium and that interior was a nice place to be. This one constantly screams "I'M AS CHEAP AS THEY COULD MAKE IT"

The amount of popping plastic in the dash after running the heater for awhile is also disconcerting, and tells me its also made of the cheapest plastic possible.

I'm a professional designer though, so I'm sure I notice more of this than most, and have stupidly high standards.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably better on the higher end trims. Almost none of the plastic pieces in the interior of my XL fit perfectly, and are all of the cheapest possible material they could find, the vinyl floor is bubbly and lose, the gap in the tailgate on either side is hilariously large, the plastic material the handles and mirrors are made out of is already fading after 2 months, there's lots of tiny little seams everywhere that will just accumulate crud.

Last car was a Subaru Crosstrek Premium and that interior was a nice place to be. This one constantly screams "I'M AS CHEAP AS THEY COULD MAKE IT"

The amount of popping plastic in the dash after running the heater for awhile is also disconcerting, and tells me its also made of the cheapest plastic possible.

I'm a professional designer though, so I'm sure I notice more of this than most, and have stupidly high standards.
As a mechanical engineer I too have certain standards you could say. We all are entitled to our opinions of course. Owned alot of auto makes but never a Subie. Just didnt appeal to me personally & the boxer engine design still burns oil at a scarey rate. Trim levels def shouldn't dictate fit & finish quality per say ..altho there are material upgrades in XL vs XLT or Lariat etc onviously. The very solid feel of these new Rangers an lack of any squeaks or rattles even In real rough terrain (in my truck at least an I cant be only one)..we don't baby our XLT FX4 whatsoever when playing off rd ...is testament to good suspension components/design along w/ painstaking NVH testing during preproduction engineering processes. Give us your feed back an experiences pls! I'm nearing 10k mis btw.

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
As a mechanical engineer I too have certain standards you could say. We all are entitled to our opinions of course. Owned alot of auto makes but never a Subie. Just didnt appeal to me personally & the boxer engine design still burns oil at a scarey rate. Trim levels def shouldn't dictate fit & finish quality per say ..altho there are material upgrades in XL vs XLT or Lariat etc onviously. The very solid feel of these new Rangers an lack of any squeaks or rattles even In real rough terrain (in my truck at least an I cant be only one)..we don't baby our XLT FX4 whatsoever when playing off rd ...is testament to good suspension components/design along w/ painstaking NVH testing during preproduction engineering processes. Give us your feed back an experiences pls! I'm nearing 10k mis btw.
Yeah I definitely love the drive train and handling. Everything it needs to be as a "truck" is fantastic. I just wish more care was paid to the details. For instance, the "ignition ring" thing. My first car was a Ford, and I can't say they've improved much in the 20 years since in that regard.

The FX4 suspension is quite a bit different than the stock one. Stock is bouncy as hell, looking to upgrade to the Fox kit eventually, because even on worn highways it gets pretty annoying.

Subarus have changed quite a bit since the ole head gasket days. They go around a corner like nothing else I've ever driven, thanks to that boxer engine in part. Unfortunately, can't fit a 3070 door in a subaru. And while fit/finish were fantastic on the Subaru, the Crosstrek is a woefully underpowered car, and even then only gets about 28mpg. Their AWD might as well be voodoo though. Stock tires, I was able to get out when few others were last year when the snows hit. Basically me and the guy with the off-road kitted out Jeep were the only two who were able to make it in to work.

10k is damn impressive! Only up to 5k this week.

Falconer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, BMW 428xi
I hit 3000 today. It's important to know that when I drive my Ranger I'm in it all day. Three hundred plus miles per day. I did 377 today in the rain. Well, long story short, the more I drive it the better I like it. The ride is a little firm but it doesn't wear me out. The power is very good and the load hauling is excellent. It's a responsive and safe feeling truck. I wish the fuel consumption was better, average 25 on 95% highway miles and it's hard to load and unload due to ride height and tailgate depth. I work around that. I wish the infotainment was more user friendly but it isn't bad. My happiest moment with it is when I'm walking back to it after a delivery and seeing it. I think it looks great and I'm proud to be driving it. :thumbsup:
I agree with your comments. Before I bought my 2019 Ranger, I had a 2016 BMW 428Xi. It was a great car to be sure but was depreciating at $10K per year with no end in sight. Making the transition from a sports sedan to a truck was tough but I think I enjoy my Ranger just as much ... only different. It's really growing on me. Funny thing is that I get more comments about my cool truck than I ever did about the Bimmer. I drive 23K miles per year and getting just under 25 MPG. Just passed 6K miles. Great truck. Lovin' it.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with your comments. Before I bought my 2019 Ranger, I had a 2016 BMW 428Xi. It was a great car to be sure but was depreciating at $10K per year with no end in sight. Making the transition from a sports sedan to a truck was tough but I think I enjoy my Ranger just as much ... only different. It's really growing on me. Funny thing is that I get more comments about my cool truck than I ever did about the Bimmer. I drive 23K miles per year and getting just under 25 MPG. Just passed 6K miles. Great truck. Lovin' it.
I get asked too all the time at gas station etc. Its a sporty looking truck I get told... an ppl know they havent seen em new in awhile ....really dont have complaints with this truck an enjoy it more so as the mis accrue. Thats something I cant say I've felt anytime in last 3+ vehicles owned . My son ordered a '20.. in new race red color.
. XLT FX4 crew cab like mine.

Deleted member 1634

Yeah I definitely love the drive train and handling. Everything it needs to be as a "truck" is fantastic. I just wish more care was paid to the details. For instance, the "ignition ring" thing. My first car was a Ford, and I can't say they've improved much in the 20 years since in that regard.

The FX4 suspension is quite a bit different than the stock one. Stock is bouncy as hell, looking to upgrade to the Fox kit eventually, because even on worn highways it gets pretty annoying.

Subarus have changed quite a bit since the ole head gasket days. They go around a corner like nothing else I've ever driven, thanks to that boxer engine in part. Unfortunately, can't fit a 3070 door in a subaru. And while fit/finish were fantastic on the Subaru, the Crosstrek is a woefully underpowered car, and even then only gets about 28mpg. Their AWD might as well be voodoo though. Stock tires, I was able to get out when few others were last year when the snows hit. Basically me and the guy with the off-road kitted out Jeep were the only two who were able to make it in to work.

10k is damn impressive! Only up to 5k this week.
I'll second the thoughts on the Crosstrek, and Subaru in general. It was very underpowered. I had the manual transmission, and basically had to floor it and shift at high revs just to keep up with traffic accelerating from a light up a hill. I was able to get mid to upper 30s mpg, but only by driving quite slow and conservative, which didn't happen much with the lack of power. The Subaru AWD is magic and amazing. I'd say the best out there. With snow tires on it, it was an unstoppable machine. It was a wonderful little vehicle when I was young, single, and living in an apartment. But now I'm married, a home owner, and we have 3 dogs. So it just wasn't making the cut anymore.

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Amendment @4000 miles. Ford... you should have included the driver side grab bar on the A-pillar and the finger-pull cup in the armrest for closing the door. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the shoulder harness was a little closer to me. I'm 67 and not as flexible as I used to be! :dance:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I hit 3000 today. It's important to know that when I drive my Ranger I'm in it all day. Three hundred plus miles per day. I did 377 today in the rain. Well, long story short, the more I drive it the better I like it. The ride is a little firm but it doesn't wear me out. The power is very good and the load hauling is excellent. It's a responsive and safe feeling truck. I wish the fuel consumption was better, average 25 on 95% highway miles and it's hard to load and unload due to ride height and tailgate depth. I work around that. I wish the infotainment was more user friendly but it isn't bad. My happiest moment with it is when I'm walking back to it after a delivery and seeing it. I think it looks great and I'm proud to be driving it. :thumbsup:
Steve,
You're right that the bed sides are high which makes difficult loading but the plus side of this for me is that in appearance it makes the Truck look beefyâś”

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
The only thing that drives me a bit crazy is with the auto shutoff ( and yes I know I can turn it off) is I loose the power steering.
Owner manual says that stop/start is disabled when accessory power is used.. so why not plug a led lamp to the 110v outlet? If the light is too much, just wrap a electric tape over it.

Luckily for me, the stop/start is not used on Raptor.. :)

BTW: I like the load height on Raptor, but the tailgate should have option to go fully down (it can't, it's dampened). However I'm a bit taller than average, not by much tho. 6 feet something.
Sponsored