Noob question, If I want to put a slightly taller tire on my factory wheels with no lift, what is the go-to size?

lwapd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
HI! first post on the Forum, I'm also a first time truck owner! I'm looking to upgrade the stock ATMs to some K02's, because i'm told they perform well in the winter and I like how they look. I wouldn't mind filling out the wheel well a bit more while I am at it. What sizes fit our OEM wheels without a lift kit? Is there already a thread like this?
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
A post like this on a jeep forum would immediately get you banned for life, but we are nice guys here so we just keep on answerin.. lol

Look into Falkin Wildpeaks, they rate higher than ko2s. 265 70 17s seem pretty popular on here.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI! first post on the Forum, I'm also a first time truck owner! I'm looking to upgrade the stock ATMs to some K02's, because i'm told they perform well in the winter and I like how they look. I wouldn't mind filling out the wheel well a bit more while I am at it. What sizes fit our OEM wheels without a lift kit? Is there already a thread like this?
HI Iwapd,

Welcome. It is my hope that this Ranger will meet and exceed your needs for the over 150,000 miles of a 90 percentile customer to which we test. I will warn you that these forums include a dreaded MOD virus that invades your wallet and in short order can drain it.

Enjoy your Ranger

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So first off welcome to the lovely Ranger Forum!!

As Phil mentioned we might get you to mod the truck just because we do different cool(and sometimes dumb) stuff to our trucks!!

Understanding you want to go to a bigger tire to fill up the wheel well is understandable but you also need to understand that the BFG KO2 is NOT a snow tire what so ever!!! I say this because plenty of people think an all-terrain tire is all you need for winter...... Maybe if you live in a place where snow does happen but only for a day and is gone the next. Up in Seattle you will want a good snow tire that will do the job!!!

That being said it all depends on the route you want to take to have your winter tires at the ready. Option 1, have a second set of wheels and tires and you can swap it yourself if you have a place to do so. Option 2, have just the tires in the desired size and swap them every season.

What would be a good winter tire? Well if it is still made I had some good luck with the Cooper Discovery M&S. I did put studs on it and to say the least it made a HUGE difference compared to the Factory Bridgestone tires I had!!

What size can you put on your truck that will fit without a lift or level? Well first off it will depend on you wheel size. If you have a 16 inch wheel then 265/75-16 will fit. If you have a 17 inch wheel then you are looking at 265/70-17. An 18 inch wheel can do 265/65-18.

Now if you are one to consider the OffRoad then the KO2 is not your only option on the board!! One other good tire I would recommend and is also available in the sizes I mentioned is the Firestone Destination XT!! I just installed it on my truck about a month ago and to say the least I LOVE it!!! How well does it do in the winter? Couldnt tell you as I haven't had to deal with snow yet but i feel it will do well for my area.

I will also add that i am currently running the Old Man EMU lift on my truck with 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT's with no spacers on stock wheels and do just fine.

Hope this information helps

0529211359.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0602211838b.jpg

0602211838a.jpg

0602211838.jpg

0602211803a_HDR.jpg

0602211803_HDR.jpg

rspinajr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Restaurateur
So first off welcome to the lovely Ranger Forum!!

As Phil mentioned we might get you to mod the truck just because we do different cool(and sometimes dumb) stuff to our trucks!!

Understanding you want to go to a bigger tire to fill up the wheel well is understandable but you also need to understand that the BFG KO2 is NOT a snow tire what so ever!!! I say this because plenty of people think an all-terrain tire is all you need for winter...... Maybe if you live in a place where snow does happen but only for a day and is gone the next. Up in Seattle you will want a good snow tire that will do the job!!!

That being said it all depends on the route you want to take to have your winter tires at the ready. Option 1, have a second set of wheels and tires and you can swap it yourself if you have a place to do so. Option 2, have just the tires in the desired size and swap them every season.

What would be a good winter tire? Well if it is still made I had some good luck with the Cooper Discovery M&S. I did put studs on it and to say the least it made a HUGE difference compared to the Factory Bridgestone tires I had!!

What size can you put on your truck that will fit without a lift or level? Well first off it will depend on you wheel size. If you have a 16 inch wheel then 265/75-16 will fit. If you have a 17 inch wheel then you are looking at 265/70-17. An 18 inch wheel can do 265/65-18.

Now if you are one to consider the OffRoad then the KO2 is not your only option on the board!! One other good tire I would recommend and is also available in the sizes I mentioned is the Firestone Destination XT!! I just installed it on my truck about a month ago and to say the least I LOVE it!!! How well does it do in the winter? Couldnt tell you as I haven't had to deal with snow yet but i feel it will do well for my area.

I will also add that i am currently running the Old Man EMU lift on my truck with 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT's with no spacers on stock wheels and do just fine.

Hope this information helps

0529211359.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0602211838b.jpg

0602211838a.jpg

0602211838.jpg

0602211803a_HDR.jpg

0602211803_HDR.jpg
Im also very new to this and this is also my first truck. I have the same color and spec as you do and that is the look I was going for - Perfect IMO! Would you mid telling me about the lift? Did you only do a level kit? did you have to remove the crash bars for the 285's?

Reactions: Doc

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to say that I was at your exact same spot during Q1 2021 and my stock-suspension-265s-plan evolved into full blown 2" coils, upgraded struts, fog lights, headlights, UCA's, and 285s with different wheels by June... LOL :crackup:

PXL_20210618_001905092.jpg

Best of luck. Here because my tires are 285/70/17 Wildpeaks and to be a bad influence :devil:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Im also very new to this and this is also my first truck. I have the same color and spec as you do and that is the look I was going for - Perfect IMO! Would you mid telling me about the lift? Did you only do a level kit? did you have to remove the crash bars for the 285's?
So I will start off by saying that leveling kits are dumb....... Simple as that and not going into explanation.

The Old Man EMU lift kit is just that, a lift kit. The front is raised by 2.4 inches and the rear is lifted by 1.6 inches. How is it done? It replaces all shocks and all springs front and rear. There are no spacers used what so ever.

Now I also have the basic OME kit. There is the BP-51 kit wich is nice but out of my price range at the moment. What is the difference? The basic does not have any adjustments what so ever. The BP -51 has compression and rebound adjustments available and the front struts can be adjusted for a heavy load(front bumper and winch).

The tires I have are 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT's. Why is that important? Well I cant speak for other tires on the sport wheels with no spacers. This combination works well amd the only rub I have now is the sway bars at full lock. As for the crash bars they are still intact. Just removed the plastic covers and pushed them forward.

Reactions: EJH

rspinajr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Restaurateur
I just want to say that I was at your exact same spot during Q1 2021 and my stock-suspension-265s-plan evolved into full blown 2" coils, upgraded struts, fog lights, headlights, UCA's, and 285s with different wheels by June... LOL :crackup:

PXL_20210618_001905092.jpg

Best of luck. Here because my tires are 285/70/17 Wildpeaks and to be a bad influence :devil:
HORRIBLE INFLUENCE! That looks so good!

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
Just got 265/70R18 Falken WildPeaks. Just some slight rubbing when the front wheels articulate at full lock it looks like. Not to worried it about it since I will be getting the front lifted so that should take care of the issue. The crash bars have a small amount of adjustment that might take care of the issue. But if your plan is to keep the suspension stock then 32s would probably be better.

Before the new tires

20210508_155619.jpg

With new tires

20210621_175130.jpg

350toRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I put BFG KO2s on my previous 3 trucks and they performed great in the snow. I even had plows on my last two trucks and went through a lot of deep snow. Theoretically narrower tires are better in snow, but like I said, I never had any problems. Also, TireRack found the KO2's to have the best show and ice performance (stopping, accelerating, and lap time) in the group they tested which included the BFG KO2's, Firestone Destination A/T2, Hankook Dynapro AT2 and Yokahama Geolander A/T. (see test video here; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2)

I also like the look of KO2's so I recently put some 265/70R17's (load range C) on my Ranger. Photo of my Ranger is in this thread (no lift, stock wheels): https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/pics-of-265-70-17-tire.4748/page-13#post-266450
Sponsored

Last edited: