Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fascinated by this attitude. Ford wants to sell appearance packages. People comment on what they like/dislike about the appearance packages. Someone complains that people are "complaining too much". Weird. Stupid little things like this are important enough to be line items in Ford's package descriptions, and for Ford to charge $$$$ for them. So what's the problem if people comment that they think Ford's $$$$ package is getting stingier? Don't like it? Don't listen, buy an XL and be happy. I think it's nice that Ford offers a very competitive base model, and I also think there's a lot of room to talk about how Ford cheaped out on this revision of their top trim. If Ford doesn't like that impression, they should try harder to put more value in their top trim--not take some out.
I was just stating a fact. I think Ford knows a lot more about marketing and selling vehicles than anyone on this forum. it's naive to post on a forum and then complain when folks have another opinion. If you don't like negative comments then don't post or don't read them, pretty simple solution.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was just stating a fact. I think Ford knows a lot more about marketing and selling vehicles than anyone on this forum. it's naive to post on a forum and then complain when folks have another opinion. If you don't like negative comments then don't post or don't read them, pretty simple solution.
Negative comments are great--I'm certainly negative about the cheap-ass black handles. You wanna say you don't care what color the handle is, that's cool. It's stuff like "be happy that's all there is to complain about", like someone gets to decide which opinions are important and which complaints are valid, that's obnoxious. Try to understand: I'm not saying whether this decision will cost Ford money or not--I'm just saying it affects my view of the value of the lariat trim. Others can disagree, that's fine. I'm not so arrogant as to say my view is the only correct one, especially on something that's entirely a matter of personal preference.

Certainly, I think there are bigger problems, like the MSRP on an optioned out ranger is north of $45k, there are worrying signs of quality control issues here and there, and while Ford is nickle-and-diming bits and pieces off the trucks Jim Farley and Bill Ford are pulling down nearly $30M/year between them. But this thread is about the tailgate handle, no need to put every single complaint in a prioritized list, every time anyone says anything, right?

Cowboys22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
Negative comments are great--I'm certainly negative about the cheap-ass black handles. You wanna say you don't care what color the handle is, that's cool. It's stuff like "be happy that's all there is to complain about", like someone gets to decide which opinions are important and which complaints are valid, that's obnoxious. Try to understand: I'm not saying whether this decision will cost Ford money or not--I'm just saying it affects my view of the value of the lariat trim. Others can disagree, that's fine. I'm not so arrogant as to say my view is the only correct one, especially on something that's entirely a matter of personal preference.

Certainly, I think there are bigger problems, like the MSRP on an optioned out ranger is north of $45k, there are worrying signs of quality control issues here and there, and while Ford is nickle-and-diming bits and pieces off the trucks Jim Farley and Bill Ford are pulling down nearly $30M/year between them. But this thread is about the tailgate handle, no need to put every single complaint in a prioritized list, every time anyone says anything, right?
The lack of respect for differing opinions is a huge issue that goes far beyond trucks. Differences of opinions used to be embraced and even sought after. Now it will get you cancelled. I hope a lot of people get the gist of your post.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
If you park at Wal-Mart, you can get one (or several) for free :)
It’s not like a massive dent but it’s right above the FX4 decal on a black truck, when light hits it you notice... literally parked it when I first picked it up and it was the first thing I noticed. Mentioned it in a discussion about something else with the parts guy at my Ford and he rolled his eyes and laughed and said the Ranger isn’t the only one getting them pre installed.....

A few Chevys/GMC I have driven (actually maybe all)have had those cheap plastic handles that feel like they might snap. Maybe fords just keeping to the industry standard

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I replied earlier that it didn't bother me that the handle was black and not body colored. That didn't mean I don't appreciate the OP calling it out. I actually wish there was a spreadsheet that contained all this info.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
As this is a new vehicle for me with traction control. I am still trying to figure out traction control for sand and mud. How does this stuoid thing work!!!???? Traction control off??? Or advanced track off???? Which is better

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
As this is a new vehicle for me with traction control. I am still trying to figure out traction control for sand and mud. How does this stuoid thing work!!!???? Traction control off??? Or advanced track off???? Which is better
Select the mode and the truck will tell you / will do it’s thing... or read manual. I have only used snow mode. Works alright

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
.....Someone complains that people are "complaining too much". ...
For the record, my response wasn't directed at the OP or intended to be about complaining too much. It was over the top in an effort to make a joke or be in jest.

Officially, my position is: Meh - Don't care. It isn't going to make me look at buying a Colorado next time I go truck shopping. Color matched tail gate handles are not a priority to me. I think there is a list on here some where about all of the things I'd rather see on a Ranger and color matched tailgate handles still doesn't make the list at all.

But I get it. This is America and America is (or should be) about Freedom. And if making sure your tailgate handle is painted is important to you, then have at it. I'm not making your truck payments so I don't get to say what goes on your truck.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Hopefully, Ford is taking note that owners/future owners are noticing the cost cutting.
I will try to get an earlier run of the 6G Ranger. Maybe 2nd or 3rd year before Ford starts to figure out how to make higher profits. Hopefully, by then Covid will be a non issue. I would purchase the lesser XL or XLT, but may have to move up to the Lariat to get the Tremor and PHEV options. Not to impressed they are removing some of the sound deadening.
If I was purchasing a last year of the 5G Ranger I better be getting a great price at the Dealer.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed that I haven't seen a '21 Lariat on videos or in person with a painted tailgate handle. Ford strikes again to save a buck.
To be honest, it is only through reading this thread that I realized that my Blue 2019 Lariat's tailgate handle is painted blue--I had to run out to the garage to check--which is another way to say that it is not something that I will miss much on future models....

OP
OP
TBR17

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
PlastiDip is your friend.
B09C759B-9FF9-44F1-ACBF-D32DC7C42458.jpeg
Looks great. Here was my Lariat. Liked the look. New truck
To be honest, it is only through reading this thread that I realized that my Blue 2019 Lariat's tailgate handle is painted blue--I had to run out to the garage to check--which is another way to say that it is not something that I will miss much on future models....
Just seems if they are painting the door handles they would paint the tailgate handle. Kind of like having antique brass door pulls in your whole house then brushed nickel on one door. After all if you are buying a Lariat it's likely over a 40k purchase.
Sponsored