Nitrogen

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have never seen the need for Nitrogen filled automotive tires, Aircraft Tires are filled with Nitrogen and regular compressor air is not allowed.
IDK what dealers charge for Nitrogen (Fill on Tires) but if I remember correctly a full bottle of Nitrogen (I think 2,200 lbs) was only about ($65.00) a bottle - but of course that is the contracted price with regular delivery service from the supplier. So, when I was doing contract aircraft maintenance it was an ((Up-Charge) of ($65.00) for using any nitrogen on their aircraft. So, one time using it for a customer (paid for the whole bottle)- So one callout for Tire Pressure check would cost the airline around $300 for about (50 psi) of nitrogen between all 6 to 8 Tires depending on what type of aircraft.

Tire Press Checks are an important part of Aircraft Maint and are included on every overnight maintenance visit. From what I remember tires (On-Average) loose about (2%) of air a day. Due to the Temp Fluctuation and Compression on Landing
So nitrogen is auto's never made sense, aircraft yes, I understand

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Driving on some roads around here, I might argue that car tires take more abuse than plane tires lol

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
looks like money from people's pockets who waste it on nitrogen
"Oh the humanity" . Those lighter than airships were supposed to be the next big thing, maybe like evs are today, will they also crash and burn? The empire state bldg iirc had an airship tether, all together now " Oh the humanity"

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
"Oh the humanity" . Those lighter than airships were supposed to be the next big thing, maybe like evs are today, will they also crash and burn? The empire state bldg iirc had an airship tether, all together now " Oh the humanity"
Real reason is that they're crap at transporting stuff. With dead weight and necessary accessories, fuel, etc. Hindenburg was able to carry about 10 tons of stuff. 250 meter long airship able to carry 10 tons. That's about as much as a common turboprop commercial passenger plane.

https://www.airships.net/helium-hydrogen-airships/

Maybe with modern materials and better equipment will reduce the weight to lift ratio of the actual ships to make them viable. For example Airlander 10 is able to carry the same 10 tons fully loaded, but is only 20% of Hindenburg volume & weight.

https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/our-aircraft/airlander-10/

In modern world we're burning fuel for performance. In practice this means putting in enough speed for planes to lift stuff as lift increases in square of airspeed (simplified). If that fuel would come scarse or really expensive (say 50 fold), then the effort would move more to airship type designs.

So, short summary: Airships can't lift.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Real reason is that they're crap at transporting stuff. With dead weight and necessary accessories, fuel, etc. Hindenburg was able to carry about 10 tons of stuff. 250 meter long airship able to carry 10 tons. That's about as much as a common turboprop commercial passenger plane.

https://www.airships.net/helium-hydrogen-airships/

Maybe with modern materials and better equipment will reduce the weight to lift ratio of the actual ships to make them viable. For example Airlander 10 is able to carry the same 10 tons fully loaded, but is only 20% of Hindenburg volume & weight.

https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/our-aircraft/airlander-10/

In modern world we're burning fuel for performance. In practice this means putting in enough speed for planes to lift stuff as lift increases in square of airspeed (simplified). If that fuel would come scarse or really expensive (say 50 fold), then the effort would move more to airship type designs.

So, short summary: Airships can't lift.
Not to mention the slow speed of around 75-85 MPH. It would take 41 hours to fly from New York to London.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If any of you still feel the need for nitrogen, swing by my place...
I'll fill your tires from my compressor.
I'll over fill them, and then bleed off 22%, leaving you with nitrogen filled tires.
Easy way to do it....when I fill, valve stem will be at bottom of wheel. Nitrogen is lighter than air, so when I bleed off, I'm only bleeding off the "heavier" air.
Also, I've got some green paint that I'll paint your valve stem caps with.
All freebie, no charge, no moola needed !!! :like:

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Fact is, it works. A lot of the dealers I used to visit switched to it and filled all new cars to cut down on tire pressure warning complaints. They did not charge for it. Just kept customers out of the service drive on the first cold day.